About to start a new life

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I guess the most ideal situation would be to get into 1 of the Big 4 and work my way up the ladder if that would even be possible.

As I said in the PM. getting your CPA would be the best approach. If you work for one of the big 4, they will pay for the exam and all the prep work. To be a CPA, you will need a year under the wing of an auditing firm. You can kill 2 birds with one stone at the same time.

Just remember, you need a Master's in Accounting to qualify to take the CPA exam.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
Back in 2001 when I reached out to PwC it took them three weeks to reply. And after the interview a month to hire me. When they finally called me they asked, can you start tomorrow (which was a saturday).

I think its just being able to find the right person to contact.

Current firm I had the interview; I sent an email directly to human resources manager and replied within the same day she would forward to director. By the end of the day they wanted a Skype interview.

As I said in the PM. getting your CPA would be the best approach. If you work for one of the big 4, they will pay for the exam and all the prep work. To be a CPA, you will need a year under the wing of an auditing firm. You can kill 2 birds with one stone at the same time.

Yes. I'm sitting for the auditing part in July.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
One thing is I'd like to add: being an accountant in a big 4 firm in DR means, long days, bad pay, boring clients. No time for the beach.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
So the big 4 in DR do nothing to make working for them more inviting as they do in other parts of the world?

Thanks @Bronxboy

Sent from my LG-VS980 using Tapatalk

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
So the big 4 in DR do nothing to make working for them more inviting as they do in other parts of the world?

Thanks @Bronxboy

I know plenty of CPA's and the first few years is alot of work. Longs hours and your diet will falter as well. Make sure the diet doesn't suffer. I know a few that are still suffering stomach problems because they did not eat well.

I nice Dominicana can remedy that!!! lol For that to happen, you must keep "it" up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:p :p :p

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002

Thanks @Bronxboy

The status.

The pay might be better than local firms. The career development opportunities (if you stay long enough and become partner things change).

But on accountants, all locally trained accountants would like to work in 'la price' kpmg, Ernst & young or Deloitte. They don't need to do a lot to get people.

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
I knew everything is completely different than being in the states but I would've imagined that the Big 4(being international) would be a slightly different kind of environment. I mean its probably still the best route to go but I guess I had a different idea.

My interview yesterday was with a Big 4 firm.

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
When I worked there some fellow foreign employees complained to a partner in New York about the way the santo Domingo office was run. The reply was that each office is autonomous in the way they manage their business.

I think though that things changed for the better with another managing partner

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
When I worked there some fellow foreign employees complained to a partner in New York about the way the santo Domingo office was run. The reply was that each office is autonomous in the way they manage their business.

I think though that things changed for the better with another managing partner

Hopefully I'm not overstepping any boundaries. But would you by any chance have any contacts of people there? That might still be there. An email address or something

Mauricio

Gold
Nov 18, 2002
Hopefully I'm not overstepping any boundaries. But would you by any chance have any contacts of people there? That might still be there. An email address or something

Not at all. I doubt I have any leverage, but I do know the girl in charge of RH. She was a consultant by then. You want me to talk to her or just send you her email?

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
Not at all. I doubt I have any leverage, but I do know the girl in charge of RH. She was a consultant by then. You want me to talk to her or just send you her email?

If you wouldn't mind speaking to her I would definitely appreciate it. Thank you so much!!

CarpeDReam

Feb 17, 2006
"WOW", I wish the best for you both!
If this works out, I will shut up, and NEVER post on DR1 again!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

On that note I reeeeally hope it works out for the el hason. 😜

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

El Hason

Nov 7, 2013
So just as a quick status update earlier this week I was sent a ?formulario de empleo" various different questions and unlike the usual applications I'm used to filling out here in the USA. Questions pertaining to my mother, father, bank account but as I was told but another member here they're actually normal common questions in the DR. So I'm hoping because I was asked to fill out the formulario that this actually is a step in the right direction. Fingers crossed. Thanks to everyone that welcomed me and the advice thus far.