accident involving caribe tours bus

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
FredBlogs, you hit the nail squarely on the head. Dominicans do not have the patience required to operate motor vehicles. there is some intrinsic quality which dictates to them that it is obligatory to overtake anything in front of them. it is cultural. a guy will take the greatest risk, endangering his life, and the lives of bystanders, in order to overtake, then stop 10 yards later.

I see this exact behavior of overtake and and then stop just about every time I am out. Something you never quite get used to seeing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I see this exact behavior of overtake and and then stop just about every time I am out. Something you never quite get used to seeing.

i had a guy run up on my back bumper one night, put on his high beams, and he started on the horn thing. i just let him by. as soon as he passed, he put on his indicator to turn into a driveway. only in the DR.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Traveling from Sosua to SD all three bus options arrive at the same time. Caribe Express and Metro make lengthy stops in Santiago. Transporte Cibao is the local and makes a lot of short stops yet arrives at the same time. Caribe and Metro drive like hell to arrive at the same time as Transporte Cibao. Drivers for Metro and Caribe have fancy uniforms yet most have little experience and the faces change often. Transporte has had more or less the same drivers for years. Transporte goes slow. The one time I took Caribe they ran about 85 mph coming off the mountain down into P.P. Judging the speed of a large vehicle is difficult but I was worried when the trees and houses flashed by. None of the other passengers seemed to even notice. At that kind of speed any sort of accident will cause the bus to come apart on impact with lots of fatalities. Never rode Caribe or Metro again. If they all arrive in SD at the same time why take a chance. Slow and safe is good, arrive alive, this is the DR and even the new 911 will not save you from a hi speed bus wreck. Wonder if they refund your fare if you survive. If you are dead you do not need it any more, of course.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Not to mention that Transport Cibao has lots of local color. Want to immerse yourself in the real DR its the choice. Transporting farm animals, no problem and they do not even need an extra ticket.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Not to mention that Transport Cibao has lots of local color. Want to immerse yourself in the real DR its the choice. Transporting farm animals, no problem and they do not even need an extra ticket.

nothing like riding beside a guy with a goat on his lap..

just kidding, zoom.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Narrow Escape or Death

Yet, they will drive exceedingly fast to arrive late. So ! Why speed if you know you are going to be late anyway ?

CT buses do not arrive late and they run on a very tight schedule.
Thus the drivers are under extreme pressure and stress.
If one dies in an accident, there are others to take his place.
This will not change.

Large vehicles will not stop for an obstacle to let oncoming traffic pass. They will rather force the oncoming vehicles to make way somehow, like escape into a ditch. :lick:

That's the Dominican law and will not change.

donP

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
Large vehicles will not stop for an obstacle to let oncoming traffic pass. They will rather force the oncoming vehicles to make way somehow, like escape into a ditch.

i took a visitor to santiago with me in my little honda capa. she had here eyes closed most of the time. that was not a car commanding respect from other road users...

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
i had a guy run up on my back bumper one night, put on his high beams, and he started on the horn thing. i just let him by. as soon as he passed, he put on his indicator to turn into a driveway. only in the DR.

Reminds me of the time when I was going onto the autopista via a long ramp. I was all sped up ready to enter when this cami?neta cut me off at 20mph. He then proceeded to go off the highway to park. That was a close one.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I think you are right and I think it has more to do with Caribe Tours having many more routes than Metro. The odds are in favor of Metro's record because they don't log as many kilometers as Caribe Tours. Qantas Airlines has a much better safety records than most other airlines for this same reason. Safety and accidents is a taboo subject in the airline industry's marketing programs. It's rarely mentioned in any transportation industry external communications. You will never see accident statistics in airline advertising or other public materials.

I have taken Caribe Tours once, about 4 years ago, that was enough. That was from POP to STI, the driver drove very fast, keeping the accelerator in the floor (it was easy to hear the engine running), with a slight scent of diesel fumes inside...

While driving (not on a bus), especially between POP-Navarrete, we have seen plenty of "professional" drivers, and mostly the color of the these buses is bright yellow. While passing other vehicles with full bus loads, I have seen many times unbelievable driving.

Whenever we need to take a bus in the country, it?s Metro, I could be wrong (no references nor stats), but I think Metro is in the news much less, and I actually feel safe on those buses. Sure, they don?t have as much service in terms of frequent departures, but we have learned to plan our trips accordingly.

I still recall the accident from couple of years back, when Caribe Tours went out of road on Duarte Highway, they posted an image of the bus crashed in forest... I have not yet seen similar news about other bus companies here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Reminds me of the time when I was going onto the autopista via a long ramp. I was all sped up ready to enter when this cami?neta cut me off at 20mph. He then proceeded to go off the highway to park. That was a close one.

don't you just love it when you put the indicator on to make a left turn, and there is some chimp who decides to pass you on the left? or, how about when you are making a right, and there is a motoconcho on the inside..

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
It's defensive driving on a whole new level. Motorcycle drivers are the most dangerous. That's why I like driving in the capital - less motos.

cjewell

Bronze
Oct 11, 2004
That has been the first time I have ever heard anyone say they prefer driving in the captiol. LOL. The one time I drove in SD I almost lost my mind and don't know how I got out of there without being hit by another car. Having travelled to 10+ countries - most of which in Latin America and the Caribbean I cant recall a place worse or more terrifying to drive than SD.

It's defensive driving on a whole new level. Motorcycle drivers are the most dangerous. That's why I like driving in the capital - less motos.

Dan Spinnover

Nov 1, 2010
The capital is not ideal, but it is worlds better than say, San Cristobal. If you're up for it, go to that (poorer - less $$ for cars) motorcycle city and the reality of what we are saying will slap you in the face. ouch!

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
That has been the first time I have ever heard anyone say they prefer driving in the captiol. LOL. The one time I drove in SD I almost lost my mind and don't know how I got out of there without being hit by another car. Having travelled to 10+ countries - most of which in Latin America and the Caribbean I cant recall a place worse or more terrifying to drive than SD.
I've driven San Juan, PR, which has it's own pucker factor, but I REFUSE to drive in SD

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I agree there are fewer motos. I think the drivers in general are more accustomed to being around other cars and in traffic than drivers in the campos. I don't mean to suggest they are more skillful or considerate because I don't find that at all. I think the drivers in the capital aren't as surprised when there are other cars beside them.

Does anyone else experience an odd combination of amusement and annoyance when another driver on the autopista honks their horn when they approach you or you approach them? It is the local equivalent of maintaining one's lane of travel and being aware of traffic around you - - honk the horn unless you are the only vehicle in sight.

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I recommend you avoid driving in Africa or Brazil, especially Sao Paulo.

Aug 6, 2006
Here in Miami we have many people whose highest contact with machinery previous to arriving here was with a plow. Or even a pointy stick.