Adoption from DR Please help!!!!

jaquarius

Feb 5, 2009
No I am not the same women who went through this from last year. But it is the same agency with the same info. What do you mean she was never heard from again??????????
The ad was on craigslist or something like that after I replyed the ad disapeared. I thought I was day dreaming then they e-mailed me the next day.
I'm sorry if I sound dumb or something I just am trying to find information.
Thank you to those of you that are honestly trying to help me.

jaquarius

Feb 5, 2009
Oh and my husband did speak with someone from his office today I don't remember the name though. They are trying to get the information and he will talk to them again on Wednesday.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
I found an e-mail from a lady that contacted Guzman Ariza last year, who was in a similar situation; she was never heard from again:

" I have been in Contact with an Adoption agency in Santo Domingo that calls itself Motherlez baby home.
> The address given is:
> Av Sarasota 65
> Santo Domingo
> Dominican Republic.
>
> I do not know if this is an actual orphanage or if I am being scammed. As I reside in the US, I have no way of checking on this orphanage. Can you assist me in simply checking to see if this is indeed a real place and a real non profit adoption agency? Thank you so much."

Thanks Alfredo

Your Dad, Fabio Guzman has given us an overview of international adoption laws/rules but I was wondering if you could give us some basic steps of where to start when one wants to adopt a Dominican child.

Does one find a lawyer first? Are there legitimate adoption agencies to contact?

With some guidelines we can help others in the future and save your precious time for other questions in the legal forum.

Thanks

Fabio J. Guzman

DR1 Expert
Jan 1, 2002
www.drlawyer.com
1) We contacted CONANI on this. There are no foreign agencies registered under that name.

2) There are no local "adoption agencies" registered at CONANI. They are not needed. Why? Because CONANI controls the assignment of all children given in adoption and only AFTER the adoption petition is submitted to them and approved. The adopting parents won't know the specific child assigned to them until this time.

Foreign agencies coordinate the hiring of the lawyer in the Dominican Republic and deal with the different issues in the home country of the adopting parents.

AnnaC, the best procedure is to contact the lawyer first.

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
I don't know who they are but if there's something I know for sure is this:

To adopt a child in the DR you NEED a LAWYER from the beginning to the end...Legal representation is paramount to complete the entire process...

Just like many foreigners find out (too late), there're not cutting corners in legal matters or process in the DR. You must first and foremost, find a reputable lawyer WITH experience in the adoption process for foreign parents.

I still can't understand why people think that the DR would be any different from all other countries on issues like these...

Forget the request for data on the agency calling, e-mailing you, etc... Or whatever name they go for these days. GET A LAWYER!!

Change your request to:

Dominican lawyer recommendations with experience on foreigner’s adoption of children wanted!!!

You need a LAWYER!!!! One that can communicate in your own language too!!! Keep the information and understanding to the best possible levels there can be.

There's NO authority in the DR out of CONANI, which can deal with adoptions in the DR... ZIP! NADA! NONE!
Find yourself a good lawyer and good luck and best wishes in your goal to provide a child with great and caring parents!!!

They should listen from time to time to Dominicans that actually KNOW how their country works...

Something else to let you know about Conani and adoption, the kid that will be available for adoption is at Conani's discretion given the number of kids and adopting parents available for the process. You can't just pick a kid, like picking a puppy at a mill...

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
For once I seem to be TOTALLY in agreement with Pichardo...

This woman has to be a little dense, IMO....We tell her, like 30 posts ago, what to do...Still she wants to do it her way...

Why does she not listen to people who have been there and done that???

I feel like shouting (Sorry SKING) "LISTEN B!TCH! IT TAKES A PHUCKING LAWYER THAT YOU CHOOSE< NOT THE PHUCKING AGENCY> YOU ARE GOING TO BE ROBBED OF YOUR PHUCKING MONEY> PLEASE CONTACT ANOTHER LAWYER!!!!

And for Christ's sake, please go slow on this...

this is such a passionate thing, sometimes your brain does not function rationally...

Really, I'd like to help you but you insist on doing this the wrong way...
You gain nothing hiding anything from us--like Lambada--when we are dozens of people trying to help you...How much did the "agency" want for an adoption? What is their Internet address? Anything else....

You came to us but now you don't want to receive information you don't like...

HB

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
Thanks Alfredo

Your Dad, Fabio Guzman has given us an overview of international adoption laws/rules but I was wondering if you could give us some basic steps of where to start when one wants to adopt a Dominican child.

Does one find a lawyer first? Are there legitimate adoption agencies to contact?

With some guidelines we can help others in the future and save your precious time for other questions in the legal forum.

Thanks

A basic steps post would be good.
I was approached by a grandmother in Sajoma, she has been taking care of her grand-daughter since she was 3 years old, since the mom married and abadoned the little girl. Her grand-daughter is now 16 and is prgnant. The girl is a little slow, when I spoke to her, I assessed that she has the intelligence of maybe a 10 or 11 year old. Anyway, someone took advantage of this girl and now she is pregnant. Her grandmother wanted me to take the baby. She told me I could name it and all. That she did not want money, she just could not raise another child as the 16 year old is not capable and she is very poor also.
I explained to her that at this time I travel alot and would not be able to have a baby right now (although my heart wanted to shout "YES!!"). I was mostly concerned regarding the mom's intelligence status and the fact that the chisme in Sajoma is speculating that it is the girl's uncle that impregnated her.
Anyway, what does on do when confronted with someone who wants to give them a baby...in the case that the person actually wants to take the child.
What would be the basic steps so that the person does not get burned because I also realize that this could be a very lucrative business for a poor family, especially if the person is an expat like myself.
By the way, I did tell the grandmother that I would try to help her with the baby. But that I could not take the baby, it would not be fair to the child.
SHALENA

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
A basic steps post would be good.
I was approached by a grandmother in Sajoma, she has been taking care of her grand-daughter since she was 3 years old, since the mom married and abadoned the little girl. Her grand-daughter is now 16 and is prgnant. The girl is a little slow, when I spoke to her, I assessed that she has the intelligence of maybe a 10 or 11 year old. Anyway, someone took advantage of this girl and now she is pregnant. Her grandmother wanted me to take the baby. She told me I could name it and all. That she did not want money, she just could not raise another child as the 16 year old is not capable and she is very poor also.
I explained to her that at this time I travel alot and would not be able to have a baby right now (although my heart wanted to shout "YES!!"). I was mostly concerned regarding the mom's intelligence status and the fact that the chisme in Sajoma is speculating that it is the girl's uncle that impregnated her.
Anyway, what does on do when confronted with someone who wants to give them a baby...in the case that the person actually wants to take the child.
What would be the basic steps so that the person does not get burned because I also realize that this could be a very lucrative business for a poor family, especially if the person is an expat like myself.
By the way, I did tell the grandmother that I would try to help her with the baby. But that I could not take the baby, it would not be fair to the child.
SHALENA

The steps involved in adoption of non-orphan kids, where the biological parents and the person seeking to adopt are present and legally fit to commit to such process, are just as demanding and legally binding as any orphan's adoption.

There aren't basic steps to all adoptions in general, mainly b/c each adoption case will have completely different elements that make each process unique and individual from others.

Even the age, needs or developmental level of the child to be adopted (as selected via Conani), can change the dynamics of the adoption's process for all parts involved.

A lawyer is the only part that will be able to provide a clear map to such action, given the adopting parent's conditions and the child in the process.

When living parents are involved in adoptions, further DNA tests, medical evaluations, counseling and even a Police process can or will be added atop the already complex procedures.

Conani strongly discourages adoption of kids with living immediate family that can legally and safely provide the same care for the kids. That's not to say it works against such cases, but generally makes it as clear as possible to the biological parents or kin what the adoption process entails to parts, them and the child.

The adoption request process is simple and clear, what happens after the adoption request is accepted is out of the level of an individual's hands and requires a Lawyer to keep on the right path to success.

If I'm not mistaken, Conani will require that the request is prepared via a Lawyer that will represent the adopting family as well. (this I' not 100% sure but could ask)

I think that the basic steps for ANY adoption in the DR should be presented like this:

Steps:

#1 - Be physically present in the DR first and foremost.

#2 - Hire a competent Lawyer’s firm, with ample experience in the adoption field; make sure to hire a firm able to communicate in your native language, as clear and effective communication will be your only support for much of the adoption process.

#3 - Come to ask questions, the more the better; your lawyer must be able to clear any questions or doubts about the process, else find a better lawyer’s firm.

#4 - Adopting in the DR takes time, there aren’t any legal shortcuts to this. If told by any adoption agency in the DR that they offer services to that end: They’re not telling you the truth, therefore are not legally licensed to do any of the stuff they promise.

#5 - Before you start the adoption process, visit the DR and learn about the people and culture as much as you can. This will provide you with a better base to understand your new child’s needs as an individual.

#6 - Adopting is a very private and personal matter, you won’t find many parents that did such process in the DR, willing to share their own child’s case openly in a medium like the internet (for the kid’s privacy and theirs).

#7 - Read steps 1 and 2 and follow the rest to a successful adoption process!

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
I will offer the following information to any prospective persons who may wish to adopt a Dominican Child.
This isthe web address of Conani and it is in Spanish. The agency does not offer an English translation, nor do any of thepeople who answer telephones speak English (or admit to doing so).
I have just completed a three year struggle of adopting my wife's three boys, so be prepared to be frustrated by the lengthy p0rocess and sometimes meaningless procedures you will have to go through.

The Web Page is:

http://www.conani.gov.do/requistos.html

The instructions are three web pages long and quite complete and informative and are completely IN SPANISH>

Either you can copy and paste one page at a time into Alta Vista and save off the translation to Word, or get a Spanish speaking person to translate for you.
Warning, Alta Vista will only translate a little bit at a time, so be prepaared to copy the entire three pages to Word to begin with so you don't get a cut-off translation.

A little experimenting may be necessary to get all the whole web pages translated.

Good luck and GET A GOOD LAWYER before you do anything.
\
'Nough said.

Texas Bill

Tretty

May 4, 2009
The Agency is Real and Reliable.

They are cheaper and follow adoptions faster through CONANI.

I was looking online and found an ad for an adoption agency in Santo Domingo, I am now trying to find out if the agency is real so I can start to adoption process asap! The agency is called MOTHERLEZ CHILDREN'S SERVICES or MOTHERLEZ BABY HOME?

Please let me know if you have heard ANYTHING about this agency! I don't want the children to go to someone else if the agency is real! I have been sent pictures of them and have grown to love them already! I don't want to get hurt!

Kajuilito

Sep 12, 2009
Or..

you could always go the shady route that we Dominicans favor so much lol

I know of several children who were "adopted" without any CONANI or lawyer assistance. How? Some paid the nurses/doctors at the hospital to put down the adopters name as the one who gave birth and Voila! It's your baby lol

Others have had the pregnant girl have the baby at home with a trusted midwife and BAM! When you go to declare the baby you say its yours instead of the birth mother and they will have no way of telling you its not true.

Where theres a will, theres a way :squareeye

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
HAve you been legally qualified in the US?

Here is the US government site on international adoptions--from the DR
Country Specific Information for dominican_republic.htm

As you can see, there is a lengthy process that you must undertake in order to be qualified to adopt according to the US State department..... If you do not do this properly, you will not be able to get the child out of the DR with a US visa.

Any other route is considered human trafficking

Human trafficking - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

sorry... I am sure that your intentions are fine and above board but there is no easy way to go about this

There appear to many more options for adoptions from Haiti

see this site

Exploring Haiti Adoption Option — Haiti Adoption

good luck to you

Kajuilito

Sep 12, 2009
We do have DNA these days, but thats another fairy tale!

LOL of course theres DNA. But noone requires DNA tests to "prove" you gave birth to a baby and get them a birth certificate....Yet anyway.

Loopholes are the way of the DR lol

RGVgal

Bronze
May 26, 2008
LOL of course theres DNA. But noone requires DNA tests to "prove" you gave birth to a baby and get them a birth certificate....Yet anyway.

Loopholes are the way of the DR lol

You will need the DNA to proof the child is yours if you are a U.S citizen and want the child to be also.

Kajuilito

Sep 12, 2009
You will need the DNA to proof the child is yours if you are a U.S citizen and want the child to be also.

Ohh so now I understand how the loopholes worked for the people I know. They are American residents but Dominican citizens. Makes sense now.