Jan 16, 2009
I usually have have a slew of small things... nowhere near $500US

Not a problem for most ... and only applies to legal residents - I expect

Many face this in their home country -- US to Canada and the reverse

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
I flew back from Canada last Saturday, landing in Punta Cana and they was still using the old form for custom, also as Im Dominican they was suppose to have a white paper form for Dominicans but they didnt have it as not many Dominicans travel using that airport and I had to use the one for turist.

Thanks god next time I travel to Canada I will be able to ask to refund me the 10.00 US dollars for turist card that Im always charged.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
i have landed last Wednesday and used the old form.
I am planning on bringing in a Tv costing around 500 or less. I will have 20 dollars bill ready in my hand when I arrive at customs. It will be enough to get my Tv out without even checking papers.
AZB

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
In PUJ last week, they stopped my buddy carrying a new $60 computer UPS battery and demanded money (it sounded like propina). I told him to take the invoice and show it and they finally let him thru without paying.

Tonchi

Nov 17, 2015
Everything now goes thru the xray in punta cana.. they arent looking for guns.
I got lucky.. the idiot watching the machine was talking to the idiot asking for propina when I pushed my stuff thru.
Couldnt get out of the customs area quick enough

chrisrose97

May 2, 2010
Im flying into Santiago this weekend, So if I bring my personal laptop or cell phone they are going to charge me taxes for that??? Is that still going on?

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
Im flying into Santiago this weekend, So if I bring my personal laptop or cell phone they are going to charge me taxes for that??? Is that still going on?
Nah, don't worry about it.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Tapatalk

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Nothing is changing pal same old DR

I have a friend that he had to go in person to pick up a parcel that was retained by custom, when he arrived a guy outside asked to see the papers and he told to him will be very dificult to get the parcel that they will ask him to pay 15,000.00 pesos but he could get it for 9,000.00, my friend said give me my papers and continue to the office, and he got it himself in 35 minutes. So be careful with those guys.

Russell

Jun 17, 2017
CAreful ju10.... you'll be accused of scaremongering...

the times - they are achangin'....

and why not ???

I travel to and fro RD and Canada.
Going back seldom buy anything except cognac on the plane. Duty free at POP airport is more than off the shelf in Canada.
Coming I bring extra suitcase of goodies such as tooth paste, and brushes, light clothing I find on sale in boutiques and baseball gear (new) for the kids. Once I brought a gas powered fence post hole driller.
I have never been denied entry nor paid any duties on such gifts. Also bring all receipts, just in case.
Does not mean things will not change .... up to now it has been quite civil.
On the other hand 4 years ago an acquaintance was taxed heavily for the clothes he brought with him.
He is a Cuban Canadian... doesn't know when to shut up..... price you pay for not being polite.
Russell