Advantages membership @ Pricesmart?

HUG

Silver
Feb 3, 2009
Yeh, I used to go halves on large amounts of meat with my next door neighbours. A month of beef, chicken, whatever. But as I developed relations at the feria, fresh and cheaper when needed was a no brainer.
I don't think anything is particularly cheaper, just nice to go somewhere and see different stuff.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The electronics there are a good price for the DR. The meat is good, fresh and reasonably priced. I try to do my main shopping there and get odds and ends at a supermarket as there are many items Pricesmart does not sell.

And probably not refurbished like many sellers here regarding the electronics.

Agreed on your other comments as well.

amp

Bronze
Oct 5, 2010
I should note on my earlier post, when I said electronics aren't worth it - I am comparing to buying on Amazon and paying shipping with a courier.

It is usually cheaper to buy on Amazon, but the drawback is you don't have a warranty. Buying at PriceSmart gets you a warranty.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
We buy mayo and ketchup for the school as well as box juices. Sometimes there are other good buys, like their Simmons matresses...etc. You have to know the prices in the supermarkets to know if you are getting a good deal.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't they also make you pay taxes on anything electronic worth over $200? What is the rate?

Yes there are taxes for many items over $200, it is best to work with a door to door shipper and get a door to door quote for anything over $200.

The last time a checked the taxes on TVs were still stupidly, ridiculously, amazingly and asininely high.

Aug 21, 2007
I have certain things I always buy at PriceSmart. Good aluminum foil, trash bags with the pull string on top to close them, laundry soap, dish soap, copy paper, the bags of 24 (?) microfiber cleaning towels, bed pillows are of good quality, and big jar of cashews. I make the trip only every 3 - 4 months or so, as these products last.

Even though I usually don't buy food items or other things, I always love just walking through the store and looking, like it is a museum. Easy entertainment for me.

Lindsey

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I will go along with almost everything posted here. (ExceptDV8's dogfood--it's a bit cheaper at Bravo...yes it is)
I usually go once a month and stock up. The same stuff you all buy.I start at the back and work my way forward, aisle by aisle.
I take a printed shopping list as well.
I have never bought electronics there, but I have purchased an executive fridge and two area fans which have been very good values.
I often notice that many of the "mini-markets" around the area make massive purchases (there is a reason for those cargo pads!! just outside the doors.

Like Bob says, juices and so forth are good buys. For example a 1 gallon of Barcel? OJ concentrate is 1/2 the price of Bravo. and makes 5 gallons of juice.

We feed 6 to 7 persons a day, so it makes sense. I also use Bravo for a lot of stuff as well as Nacional, on occasion.

HB

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I will go along with almost everything posted here. (ExceptDV8's dogfood--it's a bit cheaper at Bravo...yes it is)
I usually go once a month and stock up. The same stuff you all buy.I start at the back and work my way forward, aisle by aisle.
I take a printed shopping list as well.
I have never bought electronics there, but I have purchased an executive fridge and two area fans which have been very good values.
I often notice that many of the "mini-markets" around the area make massive purchases (there is a reason for those cargo pads!! just outside the doors.

Like Bob says, juices and so forth are good buys. For example a 1 gallon of Barcel? OJ concentrate is 1/2 the price of Bravo. and makes 5 gallons of juice.

We feed 6 to 7 persons a day, so it makes sense. I also use Bravo for a lot of stuff as well as Nacional, on occasion.

HB

there are a few products that i see in Jose Luis in POP that i first saw in PriceSmart. i suspect they buy them there and resell them in their departments, at a nice markup. there is a huge difference between the cost of mozzarella cheese, for example, in PriceSmart and the regular supermarket.

KateP

Silver
May 28, 2004
I buy the 5 pound bags of mozzarella or Mexican mix cheese along with pastrami, Cacerio ham and turkey then repackage them with my food saver and stick them in the freezer. Saves me a pretty penny. Cheese is a bit lumpy when I thaw it but once melted it all tastes the same...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I buy the 5 pound bags of mozzarella or Mexican mix cheese along with pastrami, Cacerio ham and turkey then repackage them with my food saver and stick them in the freezer. Saves me a pretty penny. Cheese is a bit lumpy when I thaw it but once melted it all tastes the same...

can you say what is the price of the Mexican cheese mix, please..

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Mexican Cheese Blend - 2 lbs - $349.95

Mozzarella Rallado - 5 lbs - $599.95

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

thanks a lot, Santiago. that price for the mozz is pretty decent, given the fact it works out at 120 per lb, while it would be 175 in the supermarket. the cheese blend is steep...

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006

Typo, typo, typo................. Sorry

The Mozzarella Rallado - 5 lbs - $699.95

That was just a teaser to get you in the door... lol

It really was a TYPO

I'm replacing the pen immediately with one that is certified accurate!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Typo, typo, typo................. Sorry

The Mozzarella Rallado - 5 lbs - $699.95

That was just a teaser to get you in the door... lol

It really was a TYPO

I'm replacing the pen immediately with one that is certified accurate!

still beats 175. when you use lots of the stuff, it adds up fast.

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I like the big packages of chicken wings, I cant remember the prices but they are less than normal supermarkets (per pound) and the wings are usually larger.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I just ordered a ceib from Pricesmart after much shopping around. Comparable price to ikea and other such stores but a wayyyyy better quality. Also heard they are good for things like pampers, pancake mix, cat litter, etc. Havent had a chance to really check it out yet...but I live close by so it will probably end up being worth it for me.