Advice needed for a Newbie

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
ggn420 said:
You have to be IGNORANT to beleive that HIV is not a problem in the DR, there are very high percentages for both HIV and HEP C which the latter IS NOT sexually transmitted. There are plenty of girls that ARE infected, and deaths every day related to these diseases. Condoms will NOT save you, awareness and education will.......

Buy a second soapbox and join Topo Gigio up there. If Hep C isn't sexually transmitted what are you on about then?

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
ggn420 said:
You have to be IGNORANT to beleive that HIV is not a problem in the DR, there are very high percentages for both HIV and HEP C which the latter IS NOT sexually transmitted. There are plenty of girls that ARE infected, and deaths every day related to these diseases. Condoms will NOT save you, awareness and education will.......

Here we go again.

I know some people mean well but the education and awareness are needed in countries where info on Hep ABC, HIV aren't easy to access. Preaching here on DR1 to people to stay away from hookers isn't doing your cause any good.

Please provide links to info on all the deaths in the Dominican Republic caused by these diseases.

Thank you

asimpleguy

Jun 8, 2005
ricktoronto said:
I doubt you could teach me anything frankly. So you aren't Opie, though I bet you aren't far off Opie-ness, so learn Spanish then go, or chase hookers in Sosua seem to be your choices. Just don't expect the white knight to ride in and have Salma Hayek swooning at the sight of you - popular fantasy, never happens.

Language is a barrier, I agree Senor. But it can't be just those two choices the way you have stated. I don't really know you, so I can't claim to be able to teach you anything. And that, I think, explains the difference between us two. I am at least willing to admit that I don't know you and so I should not make too many assumtions.
The fact that I don't speak Spanish does not mean that I do not understand and appreciate the world culture or do not know about history and geography. The fact that I asked about women does not mean that I am not a normal, social, responsible and fun human being. There are certain things you only learn by expreience. And I have never been to DR, so obviously I haven't covered that aspect of it.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Just doen't go in with unrealistic expectations. If you want to connect with hookers and a lot of guys do, Sosua seems to be chock a block with them and just watch your whang, condom wise and don't pay stupid amounts even if they seem low in comparison to the USA. If you hook up with local girls using charades or whatever, lucky you, don't expect to off the bat (or ever really). Get the lay of the land and /or get laid on the land first and be wary .

The advice on not associating with English speaking Dominican men who offer to "help" you cannot in any way be overemphasized. You will get absolutely ripped off or hurt or both. They do not want to help you they want to take all you have. Every city is the same. Also never ever buy weed, or drugs from anyone - it will be a setup.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
The advice on not associating with English speaking Dominican men who offer to "help" you cannot in any way be overemphasized. You will get absolutely ripped off or hurt or both. They do not want to help you they want to take all you have. Every city is the same. Also never ever buy weed, or drugs from anyone - it will be a setup.[/QUOTE]

Ditto the advice on ANYONE offering you weed or any other drug. They usually go together-if the tigere can't get you to go with him so he can get you a girl, they offer you drugs next. Stay away from those cats and you will be better off.
Also, never go with anyone trying to get you a girl. She may be underaged and the dude may just call the cops on you just to screw you royally. Get your own broads on your own steam and never trust anyone when it comes to it.

easygoin

Bronze
Jan 2, 2005
Great advice

Berzin said:
The advice on not associating with English speaking Dominican men who offer to "help" you cannot in any way be overemphasized. You will get absolutely ripped off or hurt or both. They do not want to help you they want to take all you have. Every city is the same. Also never ever buy weed, or drugs from anyone - it will be a setup.

Ditto the advice on ANYONE offering you weed or any other drug. They usually go together-if the tigere can't get you to go with him so he can get you a girl, they offer you drugs next. Stay away from those cats and you will be better off.
Also, never go with anyone trying to get you a girl. She may be underaged and the dude may just call the cops on you just to screw you royally. Get your own broads on your own steam and never trust anyone when it comes to it.[/QUOTE]

If you're going to get played, get played because it's your own fault.

No drugs :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .

asimpleguy

Jun 8, 2005
Berzin said:

Also, never go with anyone trying to get you a girl. She may be underaged and the dude may just call the cops on you just to screw you royally. Get your own broads on your own steam and never trust anyone when it comes to it.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the advice. I am not into drugs and I'd try to be careful

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Don't take it personally or as a suggestion you do. I have bailed out more idiots who got in with tigres than I can count. That is #1 - nobody is your friend there, maybe ex-pats that are here on DR1, locals, forget it.

May 31, 2005
Not all locals are bad. You are telling him to only hang out with expats from DR1. That's wrong. Yet foreigners say that the best part of living in the Dominican Republic is the people. What contradiction.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Dragonfly32837 said:
Not all locals are bad. You are telling him to only hang out with expats from DR1. That's wrong. Yet foreigners say that the best part of living in the Dominican Republic is the people. What contradiction.
I believe Ricktoronto is saying not to make friends or even talk to the tigres. Tigres are those people who approach you on the street. Many times they claim to know you and they say "My friend, I remember you, buy me a beer". Other times they will approach you asking if you, "Are you looking for a girl. I know some beautiful girls". Some times they will try to sell you drugs.

You should respond to the tigres as you would with an unwanted vendor or "working" girl. Start with a "Gracias, No." and repeat it as many times that is necessary, stating it louder each time.

May 31, 2005
rellosk said:
I believe Ricktoronto is saying not to make friends or even talk to the tigres. Tigres are those people who approach you on the street. Many times they claim to know you and they say "My friend, I remember you, buy me a beer". Other times they will approach you asking if you, "Are you looking for a girl. I know some beautiful girls". Some times they will try to sell you drugs.

You should respond to the tigres as you would with an unwanted vendor or "working" girl. Start with a "Gracias, No." and repeat it as many times that is necessary, stating it louder each time.
I hope that he is!

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
ricktoronto said:
You missed facts, not that that stops many people from pontificating like you are doing.

Who said, and how can you say "the majority" are infected with AIDS/HIV? I have been going there since 1999 and have yet to know or hear of any girls with HIV, none sick or dying, and none dead from it. In fact I have yet to find a person who has contracted an STD like syphilis or gonorrhea from these girls due mainly to use of condoms and the likelyhood that frankly, they are not infected.

The worst offenders in non-condom use as the girls tell me, seem to be your countrymen from Italy, Joseppie, so to help the cause, maybe you can go to an all-Italy forum and tell them to knock it off and glove up a bit more than they like to. And they could stand to raise their sights from chasing all the under 18 year old girls too which also appears to be a popular pastime with your buddies.

Now you can go preach somewhere else .

and you think those girls are going to tell you if they are infected? common!!! nobody will tell you if they have ever been infected with any STD or if they have aids or hiv virus.
NOBODY.

dropitlikeithot

Jun 22, 2005
Anna Coniglio said:
Here we go again.

I know some people mean well but the education and awareness are needed in countries where info on Hep ABC, HIV aren't easy to access. Preaching here on DR1 to people to stay away from hookers isn't doing your cause any good.

Please provide links to info on all the deaths in the Dominican Republic caused by these diseases.

Thank you

you need proof? even in the US where there's more awareness and education on the subject there's a high % of hiv and aids cases, nonetheless countries in Latin American where people don't use condoms.

xamaicano

Apr 16, 2004
dropitlikeithot said:
you need proof? even in the US where there's more awareness and education on the subject there's a high % of hiv and aids cases, nonetheless countries in Latin American where people don't use condoms.

It's 2005 and I am still amaze at how ill informed some people are about HIV and AIDS. And they are always going around warning people.

May 31, 2005
dropitlikeithot said:
Give the proof about condom use in Latin America as well.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
dropitlikeithot said:
you need proof?

Originally Posted by ggn420
You have to be IGNORANT to beleive that HIV is not a problem in the DR, there are very high percentages for both HIV and HEP C which the latter IS NOT sexually transmitted. There are plenty of girls that ARE infected, and deaths every day related to these diseases. Condoms will NOT save you, awareness and education will

Yes I do. If someone posts something like the above I need to know where the info is coming from. If you want to be informative then get the facts and inform and educate people. Don't preach to them.

Here is some info about HIV

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
Dragonfly32837 said:

For all practical purposes EVERY Dominican man who speaks English and who will approach Gomer here with tips for finding girlies, bars, drugs or anything else wants to separate him from every penny he has, bar none. The advice stands as it is entirely true. Getting into a car is the stupidest thing one can do and I have helped out three at least who Opie'd themselves into the crap with these idiots.

They all were the same- no Spanish, first time, expressions like Gomer Pyle and money hanging out farther than their privates and tongues.

So Barney Fife here can get the straight dope from me without a lot of mincing of words. OK, he finds a university professor, on campus in his classroom with 3 deans to vouch for him he can go ahead and say hello.

I agree fully you happen upon someone who appears reputable, you can and do converse with them in their local tongue and maybe you strike up an interesting relationship with a local - I do it all the time where I go and on the plane as well, in either language. On the main drag in the daytime with a guy with 12 gold chains, I tell him to f-off.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
dropitlikeithot said:
and you think those girls are going to tell you if they are infected? common!!! nobody will tell you if they have ever been infected with any STD or if they have aids or hiv virus.
NOBODY.

Look for 5 or 6 years I know maybe 2 dozen girls of various reputes ill and well, and none are wasting away, none are dead, blind from syphilis, and unless they are remarkably immune or gulp retroviral drugs like M&M's they somehow obtain, they are not likely infected with HIV. Not that you don't use a condom. A real , not Dominican (Michelin) one.