advice needed please

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
husband went snorkeling in sosua bay yesterday, this morning was a little sick ,did not want to eat all day, about 1 hr ago had a slice of toast and within less than 5 mins brought it all back going to pharmacy tomorrow morning ,what to ask for please.staying in apartments in sosua,making him drink water thank you inadvance

southern

I love Hillary!
Dec 13, 2016
Sounds like norovirus, 24 to 30 hrs he should be much better, mucho liquids, Advil. Not better in 2 days go to Doctor. Snorkeling was not the culprit.

gert51

Dec 27, 2004
ok thank you will go to pharmacy in morning for some , we ar due to fly home to uk on sunday

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
I don't know anything about your husband's medical history or any sensitivities to antibiotics. I'm not a doctor. I'd suspect a bacteria cause but who know what's in the water in Sosua bay besides fecal chloroform. 

I'd recommend he see a doctor. Some tests can ensure an accurate diagnosis and appropriate treatment. If you just want to roll the dice, you could try:

1) Norfloxacin 400 mg twice daily for 4 days - Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sun while taking this medication. Avoid taking antacids or other products that contain calcium, iron or zinc less than 2 hours before or less than 2 hours after taking this medication. 

2) Ciprofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for 4 days - Medication should be taken with plenty of water. Avoid prolonged exposure to direct sun while taking this medication.

If significant improvement doesn't occur in 2 days, see a doctor. 

Good luck.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Sounds like what my kids and wife get once yr quick poop test at cmc will tell within 2 hrs...if you eat out at restaurants a lot eventually you will get bit by unclean cooking situation.. and from all flooding lately Sousa bay is not the best to be in first week :(
All best good luck 

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
buy pedialyte. that will help him properly hydrate and keep the electrolyte balance.

i normally wait these kind of issues out unless i see other symptoms that call for attention (fever, muscular weakness, blood/mucus in stool, headache).

mofongoloco

Silver
Feb 7, 2013
the only person you should listen to is an M.D. not me or the respected posters who gave you good advice. May I endorse the common sense choice of hydrating with pedialyte or another nutritive beverage such as chicken soup. listen to your doctor, nurse or np. do not pay any heed to dumbo gringos like me on the internet. sounds like yor instinct is spot on. go to s doctor. If it stays down it's good for you.

good luck. the health of 95%(fake news) of men is in the hands of women. let us know how it turns out. or inward or whatever direction this illness takes.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
husband went snorkeling in sosua bay yesterday, this morning was a little sick ,did not want to eat all day, about 1 hr ago had a slice of toast and within less than 5 mins brought it all back going to pharmacy tomorrow morning ,what to ask for please.staying in apartments in sosua,making him drink water thank you inadvance

It won't hurt to go to pharmacy and ask what they recommend. There are some good over the counter stomach remedies available in the DR. You take it and feel much better within a half a day. Don't wait till you get home. It's inexpensive and effective.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
and no place better to ask than RD...
Off island doctors are less informed.
My wife has rec'd better , faster cures for stomach ills here than anywhere.

Some are more prone than others - but all experience something from time to time

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I always get stomach problems the first few days in DR. I always get something in the beginning and I try to avoid the water. I was told it is the change in seasonings. My 2 and 1/2 cents. 

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
After it rains, the runoff deposits large amounts fecal material, garbage and bacteria into the oceans. The reef protected nature of Sosua Bay slows the natural cleansing process than occurs on a more open beach such as in Cabarete for example. 

For up to a week or two following a significant inflow of contaminated runoff from the land, expect the water quality in Sosua Bay to be less than it usually is. If you swim and swallow some water, don't clean your hands before eating or have open cuts or scrapes you can expect an increased risk of infection or GI illness. 

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
After it rains, the runoff deposits large amounts fecal material, garbage and bacteria into the oceans. The reef protected nature of Sosua Bay slows the natural cleansing process than occurs on a more open beach such as in Cabarete for example. 

For up to a week or two following a significant inflow of contaminated runoff from the land, expect the water quality in Sosua Bay to be less than it usually is. If you swim and swallow some water, don't clean your hands before eating or have open cuts or scrapes you can expect an increased risk of infection or GI illness. 

Ron Barcelo before and after a swim kills all bacteria or so I tell myself. After a heavy rain - increase dosages.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Been swimming in Sosua Bay for years no problem. Eat lettuce, tomatoes,onions or near anything uncooked I am sick. I need to rinse all uncooked food in mild bleach solution and rinse well and all good. DR has all kinds of bacterial and virus just waiting for an unsuspecting gringo. Dominicans have a natural immunity and are unfazed. Some great advice already given

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Across from Playero is an excellent lab. Can do stool test for parasites.
Laboplata.com 

Cdngurl

Nov 15, 2016
If your hubby is still vomiting/diarrhea, I would very much recommend electrolyte replacement such as Gatorade. Too much water without other nutrients can be bad. Also, try gravol ( diphenhydrinate) which will curb the nausea and make him sleepy. Obviously it wont't solve whatever the underlying illness is but it will get you home on the plane much easier!