Advice on buying a home in the DR

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
"
There are NOT separate taxes for foreigners and Dominicans. Your friend is either out to fleece you, lying or misinformed. Under no circumstances should you put a property in any name except your own. There are so many pitfalls to your plan that I don’t know where to begin. I’ll start with DON’T DO IT.

"Come into my lair, said the spider to the fly"

I'm trying to be as polite as possible here... Shasta is trying to follow in the footsteps of thousands of other women (and men) who have come here and sold a bill of goods and it won't end well.

Shasta, instead of buying a house try making monthly deposits in the bank and imagine it is your house payment in the DR. Added bonus is not paying a ton of finance charges!!

Then you can come here and rent while you look for something to buy and pay cash.

Waving cash in a seller's face is the quickest way to get a discount on the price too.

Reactions: bob saunders

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
My family is old school Italian mafia on one side. Not worried about anybody. I'll find them if I need to.

This can't be serious, lol
Dominican Republic is still a sunny place for shady people.
Why do think so many of us fit in so easily down here :D:D:D
I would never consider buying anything down here in someone
else's name simply because I heard it might save me a few dollars.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Perphaps you should have tried marching
with the other side :cool: Much better class
of people.
Well, since you seem to know me so well, I know people from all walk of life all over the world... I still can't think of anyone-broke at that- buying real estate under some stranger's name (unless it is for their kids), not a matter of class, but common sense. It is simply a recipe for disaster.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
I could be wrong but for years I have thought these ridiculous sanky panky type posts were entirely created to achieve higher post counts for the forum.

shasha14

May 22, 2020
United States
I thought this was a forum that helped people with information about the DR. My mistake. I didn't realize it was filled with childish people who have no interest in helping but instead prefer to make childish jokes. I thank the people who actually gave me helpful information. I'm not stupid. I posed questions because of all the crap I've been told by many different people both here and over there. I asked for advice not ridicule. Such wonderful people who can make jokes at other people's expense. You must all be so perfect and proud of yourselves. My friend in the DR is the has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever known and he was born and raised there. Thank you to the people who actually helped.

Reactions: JD Jones

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I thought this was a forum that helped people with information about the DR. My mistake. I didn't realize it was filled with childish people who have no interest in helping but instead prefer to make childish jokes. I thank the people who actually gave me helpful information. I'm not stupid. I posed questions because of all the crap I've been told by many different people both here and over there. I asked for advice not ridicule. Such wonderful people who can make jokes at other people's expense. You must all be so perfect and proud of yourselves. My friend in the DR is the has the biggest heart of anyone I've ever known and he was born and raised there. Thank you to the people who actually helped.
You're welcome.
Please let us know if we can be of futher assistance.

Birdman

Jan 29, 2013
My wife bought an apartment in Santiago/Tamboril. She got advice from this forum. She used Guzman lawyers. We live in a small 2 bed apartment with security about 20 bucks a month. I had a motorbike and she bought a pasola and we can get to Cabarete in just over an hour and a half. We live on 27th. She invested in a Teddy building so she got a big discount.

Reactions: CristoRey

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009

Ok, ok, Sasha.

It s just that people have seen so many people have been burnt in DR by friend/girlfriend/esposa (o) who had the biggest heart of anyone they've ever known.

You have been to DR 3 times, I don't doubt your friend but it should take a little more than that to trust him with an amount of money he probably won't ever see in his lifetime. If he has no bad intentions, it could come from his family, baby mama, amigos to name a few.

Speak to a reputable lawyer, then proceed.

Take you time.

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
Tough love, sweetie. You may not believe it, but we've got your back. Hopefully, you'll stick around and give out some tough love yourself one day.
Different people give advice in different ways, but it's always the same message.
Don't shoot the messenger.

shasha14

May 22, 2020
United States
Tough love, sweetie. You may not believe it, but we've got your back. Hopefully, you'll stick around and give out some tough love yourself one day.
Different people give advice in different ways, but it's always the same message.
Don't shoot the messenger.
I appreciate it, truly. I have a great sense of humor and love with all I am. I don't however appreciate people's judgement when they don't even know me. I mean, if you have a forum that says that it's here to help, then help. If all you have in your insignificant sad life is this forum, make it known. Man up. It's all good. I'm not mad at you. I got jokes too. Seriously though. I was reaching for help because I need it. If you funny, let a newbie know. I appreciate the goodness in those who actually took the time to help out. I'm going to buy in my name. I will find a good, honest person to help me down there. God has always had my back. Thank you for your kindness.

• Love

JD Jones

Jan 7, 2016
I appreciate it, truly. I have a great sense of humor and love with all I am. I don't however appreciate people's judgement when they don't even know me. I mean, if you have a forum that says that it's here to help, then help. If all you have in your insignificant sad life is this forum, make it known. Man up. It's all good. I'm not mad at you. I got jokes too. Seriously though. I was reaching for help because I need it. If you funny, let a newbie know. I appreciate the goodness in those who actually took the time to help out. I'm going to buy in my name. I will find a good, honest person to help me down there. God has always had my back. Thank you for your kindness.
Great. I hope you stick around kiddo. You'll be one of the gang before you know it. :)

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I have been there back and forth three times now and I love it. I speak Spanish well. My friend down there I trust and would put the house in his name. He can't negotiate because he doesn't know how to tell when he is being taken advantage of. Some of the Dominicans I met are the most passionate people I have ever encountered. Just surrounded with positivity and love. That's where I want to be. If I work up here and pay it off, I would like to be down there permanently in the next 3- 5 years. I'm 51and HATE the cold. I grew up in crappy projects in NJ. My family is from Jersey City and Newark. Makes the DR look like Disney World in comparison. I am not afraid of anything. I was there when the water went off for a week. The light and the internet went out every day for hours. I am not materialistic. I would live there under a platano tree buck naked and be happy. I'm just not trying to get ripped off. If I put the house in his name he can live there and take care of it while I visit back and forth until I can go for good. My family is old school Italian mafia on one side. Not worried about anybody. I'll find them if I need to. Just trying to see the best way to purchase down there without all the drama. If you know about how to do it, I appreciate the advice. If you are just going to make stupid comments, do it elsewhere. If you have useful, real and helpful information, I thank you for your time. I know some people here have families there and know the ins and outs. That's what I'm looking for. Thanks.
Do not put the house in anyone else's name. If you want him to live there that is one thing but to protect yourself you would be advised to put the house in your own name. My wife id Dominican and this is the advice she would give you. Give yourself a budget, use a lawyer ( after you have found one with a good reputation) There are several people on this board that probably know a reliable one in Santiago.

Auryn

Apr 22, 2012
The ridicule comes from seeing hundreds of foreigners make the same mistakes for “love” and money over and over (and over) again. Each one thinks their lover is different/honest, or they have a unique situation.

The DR seems like paradise, but there is an underbelly that doesn’t show its ugly head often until it is too late.

I lived in Cabarete for a month volunteering, then moved to Santo Domingo for a job for a year. After the month long visit I couldn’t wait to go back. I’m from Canada and we have 3++ft of snow and -40C temperatures for almost half the year. It can be nothing short of hellish. Paradise seemed like such a good idea. After living there to work, it took maybe another 4-5 months for the culture shock to wear off.

I am married to a Dominican but we live in Canada. We still debate where we should buy property after over 7 years together and visits 2-3 times per year. We’re finally narrowing it down and we want to make a careful decision.
The ridicule is rude, yes. But there is also some truth in that advice.

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
The best advice you can get was given in the first few posts: RENT!
There are a lot of threads dealing with your topic on this forum with that one word continually repeated, and it's for good reason.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Welcome to Wonderland!