Advice satisfaction poll

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
indiana16 said:
thanks for clarifying that Anna

I guess it was a misunderstanding

I didn't say "desperate". Anna was correct when she said the word I used was "disparate". However, I was using the Spanish word, so the meaning is different than the ones she listed. In Spanish, "disparate" means "absurd thing (to do)"

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Robert said:
Can you please list the threads in the past 2 weeks that have given misinformation.

I am pretty sure there has been and will be misinformation from time to time. . . . .it's a forum, not wikipedia;-) I get "misinformation" from friends and family all the time. . . . .lol. . . .a forum is more like a collection of online friends.

I don't thik I have seen any intentional giving of mis information and certainly outside the forums, the content that DR1 puts out, is very very good and free of mis information.

I also agree that any unintentional mis information will likely be corrected 2 posts later by another "friend".

Over the years I have been on DR1, it has provided me with a HUGE amount of information. . . . .for FREE! I'd say 50% of what I know about the DR, I learned here. . .. .the otehr 50% I learned first hand. . . . and got some mis information first hand as well. . . . . .lol. . . .

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Anybody starting a thread with the claim that misinformation is often given on dr1 should be prepared to back it up if they expect to be taken seriously.

I'm sure I could easily find a few posts where somebody who thought the knew the right answer gave information that was incorrect either because it was outdated or simply wrong. But in all the years I have been posting on this board, I have never seen an error go uncorrected.

indiana16, consider this thread your 5 minutes of fame.

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Good points Ken. To me the important part is none of the "misinformation" is intentional. We are humans, we make mistakes. . . . no harm no foul.

Don Juan

Living Brain Donor
Dec 5, 2003
no,no no!

:eek:
rellosk said:
:):):) I guess I need a Spanish spell checker.

If iit wasn;t fer teh gooogle spel chker all my psots wuld lok liek this.

yu don sey "this", yu sey "dis". les ius propel grandma! okey?

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
Ken said:
I didn't say "desperate". Anna was correct when she said the word I used was "disparate". However, I was using the Spanish word, so the meaning is different than the ones she listed. In Spanish, "disparate" means "absurd thing (to do)"

Well this is no disparate

there is nothing wrong with wanting to know what the members think about the advice they recieve.

I feel that any decent question can be asked on the forums. It doesn't matter how long you've been on DR1.

Danny W

Bronze
Mar 1, 2003
indiana16 said:

there is nothing wrong with wanting to know what the members think about the advice they recieve.

I feel that any decent question can be asked on the forums. It doesn't matter how long you've been on DR1.

I agree with you; you have every right. I have received very good advice for the most part, but occasionally the reverse is true. I have occasionally received PMs from people warning me that others have ulterior motives. But as with everything in life, you must use your own judgement. Ironically Ken, who is objecting to this thread, is one of the most knowledgeable and helpful posters on DR1. The advice you get here is as reliable as you can get anywhere. - D

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
indiana16 said:

Agreed & we DO give our observations/corrections where necessary etc. You must remember that only 25% of what someone says is taken in by the recipient, then it is dismembered to atune to what the recipient WANTS to hear & understand. THEN it will get regurgitated into something that does NOT resemble what the original speaker said, .... look at some of your replies.

indiana16 said:
Agreed. But you must be able to LISTEN to the answers, try & understand WHAT the person has said and WHY. An understanding of the person who is giving the information, why they respond in the way they do, is imperative to the perceived answer! Anything else is as Ken suggests - disparate!

Oh yes. So is making a claim as to misinformation without being aware of the the facts relating to that 'misinformation', or being prepared to do the research necessary to back up such a claim when challenged! ~ Grahame.

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
BushBaby said:
Agreed & we DO give our observations/corrections where necessary etc. You must remember that only 25% of what someone says is taken in by the recipient, then it is dismembered to atune to what the recipient WANTS to hear & understand. THEN it will get regurgitated into something that does NOT resemble what the original speaker said, .... look at some of your replies.

Agreed. But you must be able to LISTEN to the answers, try & understand WHAT the person has said and WHY. An understanding of the person who is giving the information, why they respond in the way they do, is imperative to the perceived answer! Anything else is as Ken suggests - disparate!

Oh yes. So is making a claim as to misinformation without being aware of the the facts relating to that 'misinformation', or being prepared to do the research necessary to back up such a claim when challenged! ~ Grahame.

I don't have the time to go through every thread it's time consuming

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
Indiana16, you must understand though, that BushBaby is making a point.
You cannot claim something and then not be able to back it up.

Reading a few of your posts, you don?t take in what others have posted, you rush on with your own assumptions, or knowing someone, and if someone post something realistic based on an experience such as actually living here, you just brush it away as being negative.

Please, post, comment or ask and help with answers, where you actually have some content to add to the specific thread.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
indiana16 said:
I don't have the time to go through every thread it's time consuming
In which case the Dominican Republic is not for you. EVERYTHING in the DR is time consuming & if you can't take time to do your "Damage Control" pre-investigations, you will surely fall foul to many a problem here!

As Carina rightly said, I was making a point which you either refused to respond or could not see. Good LUCK to you - I think you will need it! ~ Grahame.

Kiwicanuck

Dec 4, 2004
www.kiwicanuck.com
Go Flames Go / Go Flames Go

BushBaby said:
EVERYTHING in the DR is time consuming .....

IMO nothing more accurate has even been posted on this board since I have been reading them.

Including, trying to find the information you are looking for in the search function on this board.

I don't find the search function that efficient at all and consider it very much over rated.

Kiwi Bruce

2dlight

Bronze
Jun 3, 2004
Quality of Information...

I've received very useful information the few times I have openly solicited it in the forum. The laughs and the spilled drinks on the keyboard from many of threads I read are also very useful;)

Marketgirl

Oct 6, 2005
Keep up the great work... if you ask me!

rellosk said:
I think most misinformation get quickly corrected by other DR1'ers.

Case in point, my advice on hotel availability during Samana Santa. :eek: :eek: :eek:

Having been the poster for this requested information I would like to say rellosk that even though the advice was quickly corrected by other posters I still appreciated that you took the time to form an opinion and reply.

For me that is what it boils down to - some generous, somewhat anonymous people who are willing to take their time and share their experiences good and bad with us. In this day and age where service can be non existent in many industries, I think we should be grateful for this forum - regardless of what the resulting comments are to our sometimes naive postings.

I think the DR1 forum is been a terrific source of research and inside knowledge for anyone like me planning a trip to the Dominican Republic. It has provided many hours of amusement as well as some insightful observations. I now know what a SANKIE and A1 is as well as what locals hold dear to their hearts. Now just to get the Spanish down pat...;)

Saludos
Nadia

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
BushBaby said:
In which case the Dominican Republic is not for you. EVERYTHING in the DR is time consuming & if you can't take time to do your "Damage Control" pre-investigations, you will surely fall foul to many a problem here!

As Carina rightly said, I was making a point which you either refused to respond or could not see. Good LUCK to you - I think you will need it! ~ Grahame.

I won't need it as much as you

indiana16

Jan 5, 2006
carina said:
Indiana16, you must understand though, that BushBaby is making a point.
You cannot claim something and then not be able to back it up.

Reading a few of your posts, you don?t take in what others have posted, you rush on with your own assumptions, or knowing someone, and if someone post something realistic based on an experience such as actually living here, you just brush it away as being negative.

Please, post, comment or ask and help with answers, where you actually have some content to add to the specific thread.

I speak from experience I know people in DR and some of the things they have gone through and I share the experiences. I don't make these things up. I listen to the negative side of things but I don't dwell on the negative. The negative can become a reality in your life if you dwell on it.

La La Land

Dec 19, 2005
This is the internet..You have to research for yourself..I was on DR1 in 2002/2003ish time frame but the people were much different than they are now..MORE MATURE now thank goodness....so I found the info not worth the hassle given to get it. Nowadays they seem to have matured somewhat and I have found lots of great info on DR1 and appreciate reading it from people who live and work in the DR..You can look at other sites as well and see the info will be much the same..Not too many people want to lie to you about the DR but some joke and have negative opinions so you just go with the ones who seem to like the DR lifestyle I think. Seems like you will figure this out on your own. :) Pam