After all this DR police bashing s'thing to the contrary:

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Ya i dispose of all of our boxes myself and never let them see us bring stuff in. I wait till they have gone home. I am psychotic about security.
Our main floor has nothing of value on it and that is the only place they would be able to see in. They see the 12 surveillance cameras, they are scared of our dogs, and i am getting an alarm. I have motion detectors that make noise etc... I actually know where the workers live as well.
Trust me i have read enough to know all about the workers and them coming back to get stuff. We are not flashy people here.

I assumed the bike was stolen from somewhere other than their home. I just have heard so much about police doing nothing that I wouldn't bother if it was stolen from school or whatever.
My house I would report!!

MY Moto I lock up to a cement pole in my closed locked garage.

i maybe a newbie, but security is one of my things i take very seriously and will do everything in my power for them to move on to the next house.
Jajaj, sounds like we have one thing in common. I take security as serious as you; just hearing the stories from friends, coworkers, family about home breakins makes me start to think wth am I doing here. I currently have....

1. 2 Dogs - though one is a golden retriever he is pretty big and barks when anyone approaches. The other is a 5 month olg GS which I hope will turn into a good guard dog.
2. Burglar alarm system with 8 motion detectors, a sensor in every window (even the second floor windows-hey you never know), a sensor in everydoor including the balcony door on the second floor, a range motion detector; this basically works by having an infrared light transmitter and a receiver. At all times the transmitter is sending the light to the receiver; should this light be broken the alarm is activated. I put a total of 4 pairs (Tx & Rx)-one in the front of the house should someone just over my front gate, one in each "callejon" should a ladron jump through the side walls, and 1 in the patio.

3. I have 6 Logitech Alert cameras. I chose these cameras over the standard cameras that most people use cause they work simply by plugin them into the wall outlet. The video and audio is sent via the power wires in the house. I view the video on any computer and android/iphone/ipad. Also, I have it set up so that if the cameras detect motion, it sends me an email with an image of the motion. In addition, they record in HD (720p) video....which is great for when you need to zoom in.
4. I have Concertina razor wire around my perimeter wall. Though it isn't too hard for a pro to jump over, it discourages piperos and haitians who are just looking to lift stuff off your property.

5. On my second floor (where we all sleep) I have bars once you reach the top of the stairs; preventing anyone without a key to pass. It does take away from the appeal but to me security is first. Though a pro would know what to do it's still going to cost him time to get through. If he risks the alarm and forces his way in, he most likely will be discouraged to continue to the second floor once he sees the bars (hierros).

6. I have 2 locks in each bedroom. A door knob lock and a deadbolt lock. This is incase they decide they have time to get through the security bars on the second floor.

7. Motion security lights-2 in the backyard, 2 in each callejon. These only turn on when motion is detected.

8. We live in an enclosed residential area. The vecinos hired our neighbor, a Haitian that lives next door to us in a half constructed house, to "guard" the entrance to the residential area. He doesn't let anyone in that don't know where they are going and is required to call to confirm that person is going to where they say they are going. Also, he is instructed to write down the license plate number of the vehicle that enters.

9. I never ever leave the house alone. If my wife and I are going out together, I let the neighbors know to look out. If we are going out for a few days, I leave a trusted family member in the house.

10. I know who to let in my house. I only let trusted family and friends in the house. I have someone who was recommended by a good friend to do all my house work.

11. If my daughter has friends over, we always lock the doors to the other bedrooms; that's just so they won't see and comment elsewhere. You never know.

12. I have 2 deadbolt locks on my front door. One is a regular deadbolt by Kwik set and the other is one I bought in the States, its called The Ultimate Lock, and can withstand 4Klbs of pressure and has a mechanism that prevents lock picking or bumping. It basically uses a double lock system; it locks in the inside and the outside. Works great and there is a video of a cop trying to kick a door in with one to no avail. They even ram it and nothing.

lockwitharms.png

My friends and family say Im crazy, but hey, there are so many different types of ladrones/atracadores in this country that all of this is necessary. The more security you have the more likely they will consider the neighbor over your's.

Last edited:
People probably think i am crazy too but i don't care! My wife thought i was out of my mind till we got here then she has started listening to me about carry no money, no flash we knew already....She has something to protect herself when i am gone usually not for long.
Someone stays at out house if gone a few days....
Exactly we have 2 doors and 2 windows plus bars,on each window and door so u would have to get through 3 things to get in our house while 5 dogs are barking and the motion detector is going off....
People in our area know what we have to protect ourselves and the security. It's all about prevention!
I have lights everywhere, motion lights too...
I sleep much better at night than when i first got here and did not have the 10 foot fence with glass shards and all the cameras, bars, dogs etc.
I'm not scared but i will not be an easy target.

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
People probably think i am crazy too but i don't care! My wife thought i was out of my mind till we got here then she has started listening to me about carry no money, no flash we knew already....She has something to protect herself when i am gone usually not for long.
Someone stays at out house if gone a few days....
Exactly we have 2 doors and 2 windows plus bars,on each window and door so u would have to get through 3 things to get in our house while 5 dogs are barking and the motion detector is going off....
People in our area know what we have to protect ourselves and the security. It's all about prevention!
I have lights everywhere, motion lights too...
I sleep much better at night than when i first got here and did not have the 10 foot fence with glass shards and all the cameras, bars, dogs etc.
I'm not scared but i will not be an easy target.
Please explain the 2 windows?? I have bars in all windows. There are sensors that attach to the bars also. They are shock sensors and they basically sense vibration. If someone is cutting though or trying to pry open the bars it triggers the alarm. I dont have these but I spoke to the owner of the company that I got the alarm from and he says he will have these sensors in a few months. Im thinking about getting em,.....not too sure though.

Please explain the 2 windows?? I have bars in all windows. There are sensors that attach to the bars also. They are shock sensors and they basically sense vibration. If someone is cutting though or trying to pry open the bars it triggers the alarm. I dont have these but I spoke to the owner of the company that I got the alarm from and he says he will have these sensors in a few months. Im thinking about getting em,.....not too sure though.

Ok so there are thick wood boards that are windows and doors that i guess maybe are for hurricane stuff? They open to the ouside. Then the bars. then the windows that open in that you can see through, people can't see in though if glass windows are closed. I now it is confusing, I have never seen anything like it. We just put the bars in a month ago between the wood windows and the other windows. If it was up to me and we hadn't already spent way more then we wanted to on this house those big wood doors would be gone and normal doors on! I HATE WOOD!

bronzeallspice

Live everyday like it's your last
Mar 26, 2012
Jajaj, sounds like we have one thing in common. I take security as serious as you; just hearing the stories from friends, coworkers, family about home breakins makes me start to think wth am I doing here. I currently have....

1. 2 Dogs - though one is a golden retriever he is pretty big and barks when anyone approaches. The other is a 5 month olg GS which I hope will turn into a good guard dog.
2. Burglar alarm system with 8 motion detectors, a sensor in every window (even the second floor windows-hey you never know), a sensor in everydoor including the balcony door on the second floor, a range motion detector; this basically works by having an infrared light transmitter and a receiver. At all times the transmitter is sending the light to the receiver; should this light be broken the alarm is activated. I put a total of 4 pairs (Tx & Rx)-one in the front of the house should someone just over my front gate, one in each "callejon" should a ladron jump through the side walls, and 1 in the patio.

3. I have 6 Logitech Alert cameras. I chose these cameras over the standard cameras that most people use cause they work simply by plugin them into the wall outlet. The video and audio is sent via the power wires in the house. I view the video on any computer and android/iphone/ipad. Also, I have it set up so that if the cameras detect motion, it sends me an email with an image of the motion. In addition, they record in HD (720p) video....which is great for when you need to zoom in.
4. I have Concertina razor wire around my perimeter wall. Though it isn't too hard for a pro to jump over, it discourages piperos and haitians who are just looking to lift stuff off your property.

5. On my second floor (where we all sleep) I have bars once you reach the top of the stairs; preventing anyone without a key to pass. It does take away from the appeal but to me security is first. Though a pro would know what to do it's still going to cost him time to get through. If he risks the alarm and forces his way in, he most likely will be discouraged to continue to the second floor once he sees the bars (hierros).

6. I have 2 locks in each bedroom. A door knob lock and a deadbolt lock. This is incase they decide they have time to get through the security bars on the second floor.

7. Motion security lights-2 in the backyard, 2 in each callejon. These only turn on when motion is detected.

8. We live in an enclosed residential area. The vecinos hired our neighbor, a Haitian that lives next door to us in a half constructed house, to "guard" the entrance to the residential area. He doesn't let anyone in that don't know where they are going and is required to call to confirm that person is going to where they say they are going. Also, he is instructed to write down the license plate number of the vehicle that enters.

9. I never ever leave the house alone. If my wife and I are going out together, I let the neighbors know to look out. If we are going out for a few days, I leave a trusted family member in the house.

10. I know who to let in my house. I only let trusted family and friends in the house. I have someone who was recommended by a good friend to do all my house work.

11. If my daughter has friends over, we always lock the doors to the other bedrooms; that's just so they won't see and comment elsewhere. You never know.

12. I have 2 deadbolt locks on my front door. One is a regular deadbolt by Kwik set and the other is one I bought in the States, its called The Ultimate Lock, and can withstand 4Klbs of pressure and has a mechanism that prevents lock picking or bumping. It basically uses a double lock system; it locks in the inside and the outside. Works great and there is a video of a cop trying to kick a door in with one to no avail. They even ram it and nothing.

lockwitharms.png

My friends and family say Im crazy, but hey, there are so many different types of ladrones/atracadores in this country that all of this is necessary. The more security you have the more likely they will consider the neighbor over your's.
Lisagauss, that's not a house, That's a penitentiary!:D

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
There are sensors that attach to the bars also. They are shock sensors and they basically sense vibration. If someone is cutting though or trying to pry open the bars it triggers the alarm.

we have those. on all windows. and all doors. and the sensors inside and out. i sleep better now. i was never obsessing about security but i think it's better to be safe than sorry. of course all this will not stop the thieves. but it will slow them down. and my next door neighbour is trigger happy security freak. he'll probably jump out with a shotgun like a rambo...

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Ok so there are thick wood boards that are windows and doors that i guess maybe are for hurricane stuff? They open to the ouside. Then the bars. then the windows that open in that you can see through, people can't see in though if glass windows are closed. I now it is confusing, I have never seen anything like it. We just put the bars in a month ago between the wood windows and the other windows. If it was up to me and we hadn't already spent way more then we wanted to on this house those big wood doors would be gone and normal doors on! I HATE WOOD!

I yeah Ive seen those.

we have those. on all windows. and all doors. and the sensors inside and out. i sleep better now. i was never obsessing about security but i think it's better to be safe than sorry. of course all this will not stop the thieves. but it will slow them down. and my next door neighbour is trigger happy security freak. he'll probably jump out with a shotgun like a rambo...

You mean motion sennsors or just door sensors?

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Along with the "Bars", Dogs,"Mossburg 12 ga.",etc., I have 3 sets of double flood lights on motion sensors around the house.
I don't know how much they actually help, but they are VERY cheap, I brought mine here, bought at "Home Depot".
The dogs set them off at night just walking around, that's seems good to me.
Just got a new "Chiguagua" puppy yesterday.
He will soon be the "ALARM" for the "BIG DOGS" outside.
In a little over 2 months I will have a, "Yet To Be Determined" number of puppies, who will grow to be "Big Dogs".
Their "Mom" is a big "Rottie" looking "Mutt".
Her "Dad" is "Rocky" our companion of over 8 years poisoned last month.
We only want one male puppy, who, hopefully, will look like his "DAD".
When the time comes, I will post about their availability to "Good Homes"!
They scare the HELL out of Dominicans, but love to play with our kids.
"Rocky" who grew up with my two daughters, was ridden like a pony for years.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Harley", don't worry, if the "WOOD" is not "Caoba", it will be eaten by termites, and destroyed by wood rot, in a year or two anyway!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Poor Rocky, R.I.P. :(

Well, the "bici" did not reappear by now and since a 10 y/o has somewhat limited patience we meanwhile bought him a new one at "Mi Bici" with an extra big chain lock! :)

lisagauss

Bronze
Feb 16, 2011
Along with the "Bars", Dogs,"Mossburg 12 ga.",etc., I have 3 sets of double flood lights on motion sensors around the house.
I don't know how much they actually help, but they are VERY cheap, I brought mine here, bought at "Home Depot".
The dogs set them off at night just walking around, that's seems good to me.
Just got a new "Chiguagua" puppy yesterday.
He will soon be the "ALARM" for the "BIG DOGS" outside.
In a little over 2 months I will have a, "Yet To Be Determined" number of puppies, who will grow to be "Big Dogs".
Their "Mom" is a big "Rottie" looking "Mutt".
Her "Dad" is "Rocky" our companion of over 8 years poisoned last month.
We only want one male puppy, who, hopefully, will look like his "DAD".
When the time comes, I will post about their availability to "Good Homes"!
They scare the HELL out of Dominicans, but love to play with our kids.
"Rocky" who grew up with my two daughters, was ridden like a pony for years.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

"Harley", don't worry, if the "WOOD" is not "Caoba", it will be eaten by termites, and destroyed by wood rot, in a year or two anyway!
CC, you have an alarm? Since I have motion sensors and infrared beam sensors in my yard, I keep my dogs tied up at night. They would set it off should I leave them roaming. I, also in need of a loud chiwuawua.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004

lockwitharms.png

Jeez, you sound like you voluntarily live in prison!

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
you need better sensors, man. there are some fancy alarm sensors that will not be triggered by dogs, unless super large.

artistdani

Mar 13, 2012
With all the double and triple bolt locks, and gates, and bars, and whatever else that keeps people out... what happens if you need to get out in a hurry??? earthquake, fire, what not? That could make for some scrambling... just wondering.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i don't need a fire. all i need is to take off my contact lenses and i'm as good as blind. i cannot see my feet, let alone a door...
in case of the earthquake... i have not been through a very bad one, the strongest i felt was the one that shook haiti... it was very difficult to move in orderly fashion. i think with a bad quake you will have little chance anyways...

With all the double and triple bolt locks, and gates, and bars, and whatever else that keeps people out... what happens if you need to get out in a hurry??? earthquake, fire, what not? That could make for some scrambling... just wondering.

Oh it would take us at least 2 minutes to get out of our house, I timed it! I'm more worried about a gun to my head or my wife being harmed than a fire!!!

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
you need better sensors, man. there are some fancy alarm sensors that will not be triggered by dogs, unless super large.

True. I don't know about in DR, but when we had our alarm system installed in NJ we had a 100 pound boxer. They installed motion detectors that he would not set off when the alarm was engaged. But if I forgot to shut it off upstairs and came downstairs, as soon as my foot hit one of the last few steps that alarm woke me out of my stupor!

Something to do with him moving lengthwise rather than vertical. So I presume a crook who crawled around on the floor wouldn't set it off either :)

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i think those sensors look at different things like: size/weight, movement and even temperature. there is a limit to this, of course, if your dog is 150 lb and tall then you have a problem... but even a smaller dog - 100 lb - can set them off if alerted, that is standing on hind legs, jumping, leaping to attack someone who is hiding behind the wall/fence...

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I have a very good "Suegromatico" alarm system!
Got it 18 years ago, it has never failed,uses no electricity, and we have never had a break in!
I highly recommend one!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC