After living here 6 weeks......

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I never had that honeymoon feeling

The day I arrived in DR with my luggage and my dog I never regretted it. I was never home sick for USA.I never even wanted to go to USA for a visit but had to do the mandatory once a year visit. Did miss some of the food and a few of my friends and family but never was homesick. I felt at home right away. Things were different and many times difficult but I enjoyed most of it and was so glad to be there.

I guess I'm not the norm. Well, the truth, I am for sure not your normal human. And I like it!

And yes Rafael, I'm in Mars again. Not enjoying it at all. Watching the traffic cam as I'm writing this. For sure I'll let everyone know when I'm returning and maybe we can have a get together thing.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Scandall said:
Holy ****!

I just went back and read my post. Damn that was long. I am turning into Naolws!!!!!!!!

Scandall
It must be a virus going around. I have seen a surge of long posts lately by other DR1ers, it has to be a virus of some kind!

:classic:

-NAL

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Scandall said:
Holy ****!

I just went back and read my post. Damn that was long. I am turning into Naolws!!!!!!!!

Ever thought about writing a book?:laugh:

trina

Silver
Jan 3, 2002
Nal0whs said:
It must be a virus going around. I have seen a surge of long posts lately by other DR1ers, it has to be a virus of some kind!

:classic:

-NAL

That's it. You're infectious, Nal! :)

rafael

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
www.dr-tourist.tv
Jan said:
And yes Rafael, I'm in Mars again. Not enjoying it at all. Watching the traffic cam as I'm writing this. For sure I'll let everyone know when I'm returning and maybe we can have a get together thing.

I almost went to the Mars area in september. . . .boy would I be ****ed if I went to Mars and didn't contact ya and have some wings at Quaker Steak. . . . .

I hope to see back in the DR real soon!

dulce

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Larry,
I enjoy reading about how you are liking SD. It reminds me of when I first moved there. Keep on enjoying every minute of it!

Jan,
I miss the DR as much as you do and need Presidente y Dominican coffee and soooooooo much more. I too am homesick for the DR and only on the holidays did I want to come home to visit family in the US. I was fortunate to have many Domincan friends who understood my sadness on the holidays. They included me in their famlies holiday festivities and took my sadness away.
Someday you and I will return to where we belong living!

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
I must say that even in the worst moments of the rejection phase did it ever cross my mind to pack and leave. Homesickness didn't come into it.

Jersey Devil

Bronze
Jul 5, 2002
Larry,

I am glad that things are working out so well for you. Maybe I'll be doing the same in about 5 years.

GB,

JD

koolkatrina

Nov 9, 2005
Newbie here.
Thanks for the insights on living in DR. I have visited once and am returning in two months for a week. It's true there's alot to learn before deciding to live there.
Where do you live in DR, Larry?

proudnyc

Nov 9, 2005
Hey?whats up??? I have never been in this chat room before but a friend told me about it and I am looking for some of my friends with who I have lost touch since I came to santo domingo?I have had problems getting a good job..they want your English but then they pay cheles?I live here with my 2 daughters for 2 years now?i went to a company in zona franca san isidro called Stream International?they hired me as a customer service agent for november , dec. and jan?I get 90 pesos hour?which is like 17,000 a month and they are going to train me? all payed ?and transportation to take me home?.

I wish I could tell Tamara, and rainy about this deal but could not get in contact with them I know they need a job and now especially for Christmas?if they see this call the human resource department at the company the no. is 476-1615?I emailed them my resume at santodomingojobs@stream.com , ????? you can talk to her or anybody in anyone in the dept?.pass the word around?Tamara or Rainy if you see this i really want to see guy....hope we can continue friendship...

Charlielyn

Bronze
Jul 31, 2005
Carina:I can bring you chocolate in the spring. I'm bringing some for my friend Jan. What kind do you like?

Lynda alias Charlielyn

Potato_Salad

On Vacation!
Oct 13, 2005
From the DR, I miss the fresh fruits (fruits in America taste like horsesh*t), warm sunny weather, and the nice beaches. :classic:

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Ever Eat A Fresh Ripe Georgia Peach???

You would never eat a "Mango" again!!!!!!! Or how about some "Butter&Sugar" sweet corn with butter,salt & pepper??
Big juicy "Big Boy" tomatoe,fresh from your garden, or a farm stand?Cool juicy apple,picked from the tree in October?Srawberries,blueberries,rasberries??None of them taste like S H I T to me!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Potato_Salad said:
From the DR, I miss the fresh fruits (fruits in America taste like horsesh*t), warm sunny weather, and the nice beaches. :classic:
That's the dumbest thing I've ever heard, you must have been eating "horse apples"

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Potato salad might have a point. We in NA are lucky enough to have all fruit and vegetables all year round but they don't taste the same as when they are in season.

In the middle of winter we get tomatoes that were picked green and gassed to turn slightly red and they do not have the same taste as in summer. They just don't.

The huge strawerries you find in winter are NOT the same as the ones you pick yourself in season.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
Anna Coniglio said:
Potato salad might have a point. We in NA are lucky enough to have all fruit and vegetables all year round but they don't taste the same as when they are in season.

In the middle of winter we get tomatoes that were picked green and gassed to turn slightly red and they do not have the same taste as in summer. They just don't.

The huge strawerries you find in winter are NOT the same as the ones you pick yourself in season.
I agree with you in the sence that eating fruits and vegetables out of season is awful. Have you ever eaten mongo or avacados or grape fruit out of season? They are awful as well, weather you are in the US, or Canada, or the DR. Fruits and veggies eaten IN SEASON in Minnesota are as good as you will find anywhere in the world. We pretty much just eat the things that ARE in season, where ever we're at.

yansser

Dec 14, 2004
I have been a member of dr for a long time but never post anything before
( actually i think i did about 2 months ago) but I just feel the need to write in this thread. I am dominican. I have lived the last 10 years in USA ( mainland) I recently moved to Hawaii to the island of kauai. I was so excited becuase I was moving to paradise. Well in my opinion Dominican Republic is the real paradise. Kauai is a beaufitul place, paceful and the natural beauty is amazing. however, it is not a colorful island, it is not full of life. You do not see people selling fruits in the street. You do not see people selling fry fish in the beach. There is not a market with all colorful vegetables. There is not a carnival to celebrate life. There is not traffic problesm .of course life here is easier than in dr because this is a "state" although it does not feel like it one. I love Dominican Republic and I do plan to go back one day. I will be moving back to the mainland becuase the reality is that I do no like it enough to live here.I rather go back to New jersey save money and move the real paradise.

Yansser

linamia

"an unexamined life is not worth living"
Jan 2, 2002
www.pascual5designs.com
Criss Colon said:
Srawberries,blueberries,rasberries??None of them taste like S H I T to me!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Hmmmmmmmmm no comments.... ok ok I have to ....just one. When have you had s h i t? ...............Don't shoot me. :nervous: :nervous: ;)