Agreement With Sosua Beach Vendors

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Don't quote me on it, but in the barber shop there were talking about two Russian contractors being the big money bidders behind the two plaza projects - you can imagine where their money comes from and they would be familiar in greasing the right palms to get what they want... !

Talking to some bar owners on the beach one of them said something interesting; "They don't want any of us poor people around - on the beach or anywhere in sight !!!"

Nothing surprising about this. It might even be true.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
Not

From today's Sosua News:

Recently, the owners of gift shops, bars and restaurants (casetas) reached a compromise with the Deputy Minister of Tourism Francisco Javier Garc?a. The meeting where almost all owners of the beach casetas were present, was also attended by Mayor Ilana Neumann and the Director of Tourism Lorenzo Sancasani. The compromise consists in that a couple of gift shops and restaurants may remain in the center of the beach. The remaining casetas will be moved to the two plazas at the two entrances of the beach. Which casetas are allowed to stay in the center of the beach, and which are moved to the plaza's, is still uncertain.

They are being moved so the developers can move in.
It's NOT and agreement by the vendors who will be moved, it is mandated.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
They are being moved so the developers can move in.
It's NOT and agreement by the vendors who will be moved, it is mandated.

I believe all of the vendor shacks are on gov't property. So they are tenants, and can be asked to move. I just don't see a conspiracy.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I have no confidence in the local government being able to solve this in a fair and equitable fashion. Bribes, corruption, back room deals, is the norm. This has all the look of a train wreck. Interested in seeeing the end product.

Lobo Tropical

Silver
Aug 21, 2010
No

I believe all of the vendor shacks are on gov't property. So they are tenants, and can be asked to move. I just don't see a conspiracy.

No conspiracy.
The people in power can and will move them.
I just don't see an agreement by the vendors to move.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
No conspiracy.
The people in power can and will move them.
I just don't see an agreement by the vendors to move.

You might be surprised.

When they talked about doing same thing on Cayo Levantado there was the same resistance. Finally vendors grudgingly ageed. Afterward they were quite pleased with the new arrangement. This was some years ago and I don't know current situation, but I do no the change was made successfully there. By successful I mean happiness on both sides.

PS: I don't see it being done without some degree of vendor agreement. A heavy handed attempt was made a few years ago and the vendors were able to block it. I don't think the authorities want a war on Sosua Beach.

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
I have no confidence in the local government being able to solve this in a fair and equitable fashion. Bribes, corruption, back room deals, is the norm. This has all the look of a train wreck. Interested in seeeing the end product.

And this is different from any business dealing in the US or Canada how? I just want to be able to walk the beach with my family and enjoy my beverages and eat some food. I wish all the best to the vendors on the beach and for one in particular as he and his wife have made us feel quite at home and always ask about our other family members who have visited here.

Timotero

Bronze
Feb 25, 2011
If you've been to Playa Grande lately, I believe that is the renovation model they want to replicate in playa Sosua.

Uzin

Bronze
Oct 26, 2005
If you've been to Playa Grande lately, I believe that is the renovation model they want to replicate in playa Sosua.

I was there just a couple of months ago and it was terrible ! (Sosua has one just like that at the new Mirador park, why need another !?)

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
I was told by a beach restaurant owner that the beach proprietors agreed to the deal because they will be given Real Estate Titlesto their new shops in the 4-6 plazas that will be constructed. The developer of the hotel being built on the beach is Russian. The whole beach is being redesigned to include night use, similar to Caberete, and there will be private security at night provided by
the hotel. The deal is done and work is scheduled to start very soon.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I was told by a beach restaurant owner that the beach proprietors agreed to the deal because they will be given Real Estate Titlesto their new shops in the 4-6 plazas that will be constructed. The developer of the hotel being built on the beach is Russian. The whole beach is being redesigned to include night use, similar to Caberete, and there will be private security at night provided by

Guess I better start learning Russian...man, I am just starting with Spanish.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002

Sounds good. Thanks for passing the information on .

I am glad to hear that the vendors are getting something out of the renovation of the beach.

The "new" beach should be a big asset to Sosua. I look forward to the inauguration.

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
A lot of dreaming goes on here. Mark my words, in a few years the whole project will be grown over with vegetation and the buildings dirty and crumbling. We are going to have an emptier town because there won't even be a beach area to draw people to Sosua. The shacks will start popping up here and there and in 10 years it will be back to the way it was....with some condos and a hotel wallowing in behind, in the Jungle. Look at Sosua Bay hotel....

Apreton

Sep 26, 2004
Unless the Russian developer can figure out how to reroute some charters currently flying from Russia to Punta Cana this project will most likely turn out to be a flop. There is not enough tourism in Sosua to support this operation. In couple of years the hotel will become another ghost park. The locals will dismantle it and put the casitas back in. Having been a regular to Sosua since 2003, I am not too thrilled about this development. I will be missing the two Russian bars in the middle of the beach.

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
If or when the beach is done over i just hope they take the heavy rain runoff into consideration. Replacing vegetation with condos and hotels might lead to some serious drainage problems. We see what PC looks like during a heavy rain.

Kyle

Silver
Jun 2, 2006
wishful thinking here. how long do you think it will be before we see this ? 2023 ?

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
I can only imagine how well that is going to work for the souvenir vendors with them being in two "malls" with one at each end of the beach. You walk into the mall and see 20 shops all selling the same paint by number art and plastic jewelry. Perhaps it will cause them to be a bit more creative?

How much did the selected businesses have to pay to be the fortunate ones "in the middle"?

For me, that beach as it is holds little attraction. It might be better after the changes.

Party members

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
I believe they are including excursions from the cruise ships docking at Maimon in their equation.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I believe they are including excursions from the cruise ships docking at Maimon in their equation.

if they are planning to get in on the shopping action from cruise passengers, they better think again. there is not too much money in that end of things.