Air Century

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Reactions: AlaPlaya and cavok

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Air Century is another Dominican airline that is going through an expansion fase, this time from Punta Cana International Airport.

The first fase includes the following destinations:

Miami
San Juan
Cartagena
Havana
Valencia (Venezuela)
Aruba
Curaçao
St. Martin

The airline was founded in 1992.
Just what the world needs, another discount airline where they don't generate enough income for new planes and proper maintenance. No thanks.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
They have been around for years, in fairness. I used to fly from Punta Cana to the capital on their flights, before they built the highway. Rickety old planes, you did think you were about to die but somehow they landed.

Reactions: JD Jones

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Arajet is also the reincarnation of an older airline (Dominican Wings?) isn't it. Pacheco has been around for quite a while and he teamed up with the guys who ran Wizz air. Neither of them are new on the block.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
They have been around for years, in fairness. I used to fly from Punta Cana to the capital on their flights, before they built the highway. Rickety old planes, you did think you were about to die but somehow they landed.
I don't think an Air Century airplane has ever had an accident on air or on the ground. Air Century has a good record from what I know. With the current expansion and the intention to acquire new larger airplanes to fly to the USA, this could be the beginning of a new Air Century. Could be added domestic competition for Sky High and maybe even Arajet on some routes.

aarhus

www.johnboyter.com
Jun 10, 2008
It will be interesting to see how it goes with all these DR airlines. Hopefully they are safe.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Well, we know Red Air already has a record and the airline isn't 5 years old. Usually, red is a color used to mean danger. Just saying... Hardly any Dominicans fly with them. There was a guy interviewed in one of the DR's podcasts and said he flew from Miami to La Romana and he was the only one staying in the DR. In the airport, the baggage claim area only had one luggage, his. Everybody else was connecting to Venezuela. He didn't mention the airline, but a person doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. He also said that people from the flight looked at him like the weirdest thing being the only one for whom the DR was his final destination. lol

Sky High had an issue once, but that was with one of the small planes. The ones they use to fly to the USA haven't given them much problems and except for the issue with the small one, I haven't heard of any other issues with Sky High before or after that incident.

Arajet airplanes are new from the factory and the most state-of-the-art aircrafts flying (not just of Dominican airlines, but airlines in general.)

As said before, I don't remember any issues with Air Century.

Last edited:

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Arajet is also the reincarnation of an older airline (Dominican Wings?) isn't it. Pacheco has been around for quite a while and he teamed up with the guys who ran Wizz air. Neither of them are new on the block.
Arajet its the commercial name of Dominican Wings, if you travel with Arajet you will notice the Flights numers start with DM and for the Aviation Comunications with the Contol Tower is DWI from Dominican Wings, also previous their actual name they was using Fly Cana who decided to changed because was creating confusions with another Dominican Airline called Sky Cana, thats when they decided changed and came out with Arajet as commercial name.

Riva_31

Bronze
Apr 1, 2013
San Pedro de Macoris
Well, we know Red Air already has a record and the airline isn't 5 years old. Usually, red is a color used to mean danger. Just saying... Hardly any Dominicans fly with them. There was a guy interviewed in one of the DR's podcasts and said he flew from Miami to La Romana and he was the only one staying in the DR. In the airport, the baggage claim area only had one luggage, his. Everybody else was connecting to Venezuela. He didn't mention the airline, but a person doesn't need to be a rocket scientist to figure it out. He also said that people from the flight looked at him like the weirdest thing being the only one for whom the DR was his final destination. lol

Sky High had an issue once, but that was with one of the small planes. The ones they use to fly to the USA haven't given them much problems and except for the issue with the small one, I haven't heard of any other issues with Sky High before or after that incident.

Arajet airplanes are new from the factory and the most state-of-the-art aircrafts flying (not just of Dominican airlines, but airlines in general.)

As said before, I don't remember any issues with Air Century.
I would add to your comment about Red Air that the owners are the people from Laser Airlines from Venezuela, they are using Laser Airplanes, before the sanctions they was in the process to open direct flights trom Caracas to Miamia and when they was blocked to do it, decided to invest in small Dominican Airline buy the 65% of the airline and use it to connect with MIA, very few dominicanas was using the airline to fly Miami from Santo Domingo so to move their flights to La Romana wasnt big deal as almost 100% of their passenger ara connections to MIA.

NALs

Economist by Profession
Jan 20, 2003
Whoa! Air Century is getting ready for the big boy status. They announced they will be acquiring 2 Airbus A320.

This is an Airbus A320.
JdzcOhB.jpg

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
Punta Cana was fun 20 years ago.
It's so over developed now and so full of seaweed it doesn't hold much attraction for me.
I went 4 years ago and enjoyed the hotel but the beach was so full of seaweed we stayed at the pool.
Rented a kayak one morning because my step daughter insisted. We couldn't even paddle through that nasty crap.
So I swore off Punta Cana. Plus It's too far a drive from the North Coast.
Plenty of All-Inclusive hotels on this side of the island

MiamiDRGuy

Bronze
May 19, 2013
Air Century will not last, too expensive to expand. I'll stick with jetBlue or American Airlines. Thank you very much.

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Whoa! Air Century is getting ready for the big boy status. They announced they will be acquiring 2 Airbus A320.

This is an Airbus A320.
JdzcOhB.jpg

The A320 is a flying tin can. It leaks like a sieve and it's noisy as heck. The engines sit too close to the ground. Airbus sells it cheap, so the airlines snatch it up. Big boy status 🤣🤣🤣