Air Conditioning & Dehumidifier: Brands, Costs, Importing, Quality

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Everything breaks eventually. I've been fortunate but I have heard of corroded circuit boards in units installed close to the ocean. General maintenance can help. Try to install it somewhere out of the rain and the direct sun. Have someone come out and check the operation once a year. It's not like at home where the AC is off 8 months out of the year.

Good advice. True, our A/C in Canada won't see as much use as the one in the DR.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
I'd recommend a few things, most of which have been already stated, so I'll summarize:

1. Choose a good location. Santo Domingo's air quality is very unpleasant, particularly in the summer. Consider Santiago or another higher-elevation location, as it is naturally cooler in the mountains. If you want to be close to the beach, consider living on a hill, as it's slightly cooler, and you might catch some nice breezes.

2. Choose a good time. Is there a reason you "must" be there for a full year? I understand if you're renting your home out, but if not, consider seven or nine months, and avoid the hottest times of the summer.

3. Have you fully considered the impact of taking on a household with five members. That's a lot of - everything, really, including higher power bills. And going from living by yourself to a VERY full household will be quite a transition.

Anyway, best of luck to you.

1. The location is Romana. No choice at the moment. We're looking at Santiago as a long-term residence, funny you mention it.
She's from Santiago. However, if Santiago is in our future, it's years away.

2. There is no reason I "must" be there for one year. It was pulled out of thin air. I will consider seven or nine months, if only because of the
medical insurance issues with the Government of Ontario here in Canada. (Details: 153 days for 2 year term, 212 days for 5 year term, application is made every year, etc.)

3. No. I have not fully considered the impact on my life. I can't because all of this is new to me. I agree. I-t i-s a l-o-t.
Going from a single person's life to six people in one apartment is an enormous change. Here's the good news. She's a good woman.
A good mother. Despite all the negative DR stories about sanky pankys (I know, it's men), women who want a visa to a dream or women who are gold diggers, or
women who want a foreign man to pay for everything, there are Dominican women that are honest, hard working and reasonable.
And some are all those things, but still want a foreign man to be in their life.

This is personal, I know, but since everyone here is hopefully trying to be helpful, civil, and considerate, I'll also say that I have not met her children.
This will be a major change for every person. It seems they're well-behaved. They have a biological father in their life. My hope is to be their friend.
My expectation is they'll learn how I love their mother, care about her, and how we love each-other and want to share our lives together.
I plan to teach them English as they teach me Spanish. I love Spanish.

I'm under 40. How much time do I have left? Time goes fast. Life is short.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
It sounds like you're overreacting. You got sick because you stayed in the direct sunlight, not because it's too hot there for you to survive. You don't need AC just stay out of the sun, drink lots of water, and don't over do it with the exercise. You can bring down one of those 60" golf umbrellas they are great for rain or shine. Get some good fans too, one for each bedroom, maybe two for yours. If that's not good enough just get a small AC for your room at night and give the kids the fans. The kids and fianc?e don't need anything, anything extra will be gravy for them. You probably don't need anything either other than common sense. Stay out of the sun.

Yes, I thought of that. Over-reaction. But, better safe than sorry. I like to research something before I put the money down. It's not clear I got sick because of the direct sunlight. But staying out of the sun is excellent advice. 60" golf umbrella, good idea.
Thanks for your help.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Hi LTSteve,
We're renting an apartment together. She plans to move out of her apartment and we will search for an apartment together.
The A/C would be shared by six people; the two of us and her four children. After I leave in one year, I want to be sure her A/C will function for their benefit. I don't want to put money into a system only to
find out it needs repairs in 6 months, 18 months, etc. I'm living in the DR to be with my fiancee, build our relationship, to study Spanish,
and to learn more about the DR. I'll be in Romana for most of my stay. My time in Santo Domingo will be unpredictable as my schedule will have to adapt
to changing conditions. Romana is a small city. I did not have sun screen on the day I was nearly hospitalized. I was spending a lot of time in the direct sunlight.
That was a big mistake. I'll bring aloe and 1% hydocortinsone with me. The overstay charges appear to be DM$6500 pesos if the info. here on DR1 is still applicable.
It looks like bad news for importing an A/C. I wasn't surprised.

I got more than heat rash. I got a pretty bad, nasty sunburn. My friends looked at me and cringed. It took some time before I could convince two of them I was not
going to the doctor. I put sunscreen on immediately and avoided the sun more. It was a mistake to stay in one place in direct sunlight as long as I did.
Hard lesson learned. It can never happen again.

A girlfriend in the DR with 4kids??????
Air-conditioning will be the best of your problems!!!!!!

Cccccccccc

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I agree with the old sage, ccccccccccccc.
As you seem to be a thoughtful person I would share with you that you are entering a life you are not accustomed to. Don't try to make them like the things you like. Eat their food and above all do not become Santa Claus for the family. If you are a generous gift giver they will come to expect it and treat you as the rich gringo. The best gift you can give them is food on the table.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
As you seem to be a thoughtful person I would share with you that you are entering a life you are not accustomed to. Don't try to make them like the things you like. Eat their food and above all do not become Santa Claus for the family. If you are a generous gift giver they will come to expect it and treat you as the rich gringo. The best gift you can give them is food on the table.

Amen!!!!!!!!

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016

Noted, but I hear Dominican women can't cook. And I'm not too thrilled about oil and salt in my blanco rice.

Food, got it. I'm not a generous gift giver, although I might have accidentially created that perception while there.
I warned her when I return to the DR, there will be budgets. I won't be Santa Claus. I won't try to make them like the things I like.

But if an old board game or Xbox shows up one morning, and we can have some family bonding time, maybe that Canadian gringo is not
such a stranger after all.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I hear you. I think it will all work out ok though.

Sorry to say,that. After 30 plus years in the DR, I have heard your story MANY. Times before.
You don't,t stand a chance.
The word "budget" does not appear in ANY Dominicans vocabulary!!!
They just spend every peso they/you have like a drunken sailor.
Never a thought about Manama.
RUN Away!!!!
CCCCCC

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Not trying to sound negative but trust me, there is a reason no Dominican man
wants to live in a house with four Dominican kids :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
I?ve done it with just one (plus all of her Dominican amagitas)
and it was not easy.

Expat13

Silver
Jun 7, 2008
A gringo living with 4 Dominican kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf. Thats 1 step better than incarceration.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
A gringo living with 4 Dominican kids!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! wtf. Thats 1 step better than incarceration.

I hear all of you.

Run the other way and fast.

Tell me what to expect. Tell me how bad it will be in detail.

Because I confront her frequently with my fears, concerns and worries. She tells me she is not like other Dominican women, not all are equal, and they have a bad reputation, especially among gringos.
She seems to have a good leash on them. And I told her I am not helping her kids out economically and she agreed.

Is it noise, a lack of any discipline? Is it a home louder than the disco? What? Spell it out, spit it out.

I can take it.

Domingo646

Jul 31, 2016
Not trying to sound negative but trust me, there is a reason no Dominican man
wants to live in a house with four Dominican kids :cheeky::cheeky::cheeky:
I?ve done it with just one (plus all of her Dominican amagitas)
and it was not easy.

I like negative. Go for it. Tell me. I can take it.

I already know every one here is laughing at me and expecting me to get on the next plane back to Canada with a
"I told you so".

By the way, I couldn't translate "amagitas". Que significa?

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I like negative. Go for it. Tell me. I can take it.

I already know every one here is laughing at me and expecting me to get on the next plane back to Canada with a
"I told you so".

By the way, I couldn't translate "amagitas". Que significa?

He meant "amigitas" meaning her "friends".

VJS

Bronze
Sep 19, 2010
I hear all of you.

Run the other way and fast.

Tell me what to expect. Tell me how bad it will be in detail.

Because I confront her frequently with my fears, concerns and worries. She tells me she is not like other Dominican women, not all are equal, and they have a bad reputation, especially among gringos.
She seems to have a good leash on them. And I told her I am not helping her kids out economically and she agreed.

Is it noise, a lack of any discipline? Is it a home louder than the disco? What? Spell it out, spit it out.

I can take it.

The woman has 4 kids from different fathers none of which have chosen to stay with her? She tells you she is different from all other Dominicans? Where did we all hear that one before and what can possibly go wrong here? Everyone already knows how this will end, popcorn at the ready...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I don't think the posters are being negative, just sharing experience and wisdom gained from making similar mistakes.
And all Dominican women can cook. That is actually a plus to me, I eat a lot. Just tell her to cool it with the Salt.