"Air Fryers" A confession

ramesses

Gold
Jun 17, 2005
I own one. Bought mine over a year ago and use it every day. I don't consider it a fryer, it a great oven. Doesn't create a lot of external heat and cooks stuff fast. Like I said, baked potatoes are the best you've ever had. Using an Air Fryer and a Cast Iron pan is an amazing combo.

Lucifer

Silver
Jun 26, 2012
Long-time cast iron user, and on the fence 'bout air fryers... until my Dominican neighbors started treating us to air-fried chicharrón.
Now reading reviews and on the verge of purchasing one.

JD, gracias for the silicone liner and rack info; had not considered it.

Reactions: colmcb and JD Jones

El Hijo de Manolo

It's outrageous, egregious, preposterous!
Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Long-time cast iron user, and on the fence 'bout air fryers... until my Dominican neighbors started treating us to air-fried chicharrón.
Now reading reviews and on the verge of purchasing one.

JD, gracias for the silicone liner and rack info; had not considered it.
Now you can air fry salami, plantains, eggs, onions, and some of that iconic wet smelly bodega cheese!

Reactions: Lucifer

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ok. I will be the dissenter. I bought one, used it about four times and decided it wasn’t worth all the hype. I sold it for half price and never missed it even once.

I love my cast iron pans.

When I came to the DR I had colesterol problems. The other day I had blood work done and my colesterol was perfect. So apparently I am not using the cast iron and jeopardizing my health.

There is nothing that cooks as well as cast iron. In my opinion you can keep your gadgets. I will stick with traditional tried and true methods.
lol, I bought one two years ago. It is still in the box.

Bred

Bronze
Aug 13, 2006
Sosua
Ok I'm new here and I'm sure JD Jones is gonna reply with some snarky remark. The website is called DR1.com not Airfryers.com. Is this about air fryers or about items pertaining to the Dominican Republic? What am I missing?
Do what most of us do - don't read the topic you are not interested in. And don't participate in discussion. Very simple.

Reactions: colmcb and Fulano2

chico bill

Silver
May 6, 2016
JD has lived in the DR since the 1970s, so when he discusses things about his life there it’s considered DR related.

I never post about things I do in USA, only what I do in DR. That’s the difference. Comprende?
Wait what? Is that the standard for DR qualification of subjects?
That is circular logic and frankly pretty weak.

keepcoming

Moderator - Living & General Stuff
May 25, 2011
lol, I bought one two years ago. It is still in the box.
Lol...mine stayed in the box for a long time as well. Decided to try it as I did not want to "heat up" my kitchen. I was pleased with the results on my chicken tenders but that being said I am not sure it will be something I use a lot.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Lol...mine stayed in the box for a long time as well. Decided to try it as I did not want to "heat up" my kitchen. I was pleased with the results on my chicken tenders but that being said I am not sure it will be something I use a lot.
Another issue, depending where you live is the amps that the larger capacity machines draw. One may think they set the device to say 450F for 10 min and you never reach that temp due to weak/unstable amperage, especially in the campo.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Another issue, depending where you live is the amps that the larger capacity machines draw. One may think they set the device to say 450F for 10 min and you never reach that temp due to weak/unstable amperage, especially in the campo.

Good point. I sometimes have issues with my microwave because of that

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
Good point. I sometimes have issues with my microwave because of that
When I first moved to Cab, I had a microwave and it literally turned the main cable from the meter to aluminum dust. I had to buy a segment of copper cable and paid the same Edenorte tech 1000 pesos to mount it. After that there was no issue. If you have inverters and electrodomestics like microwaves and air fryers you need copper. From there have to always verify the amperage delivered to the house. All of these appliances should indicate the amp requirements

Reactions: AlterEgo

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Ok. I will be the dissenter. I bought one, used it about four times and decided it wasn’t worth all the hype. I sold it for half price and never missed it even once.

I love my cast iron pans.

When I came to the DR I had colesterol problems. The other day I had blood work done and my colesterol was perfect. So apparently I am not using the cast iron and jeopardizing my health.

There is nothing that cooks as well as cast iron. In my opinion you can keep your gadgets. I will stick with traditional tried and true methods.
So, what would you say contributed to your lower cholesterol numbers. My wife quit sugar, rice, and all breads and her numbers dropped dramatically.

Reactions: JD Jones
Aug 21, 2007
So, what would you say contributed to your lower cholesterol numbers. My wife quit sugar, rice, and all breads and her numbers dropped dramatically.
I don’t eat much bread and very little rice- maybe once every couple of weeks for those things. Probably the biggest factor is no fast food (as in the US or Canada food chains) and cooking with olive oil and using very little butter.

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I don’t eat much bread and very little rice- maybe once every couple of weeks for those things. Probably the biggest factor is no fast food (as in the US or Canada food chains) and cooking with olive oil and using very little butter.
Good olive oil is fantastic.
Normally my brother brings bottles or cans of “Cirulli” olive oil from
Toscane but we ran out and bought this through Amazon.
Of course we get it cheaper in Europe bit it is fantastic.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
Isn't all first cold pressed extra virgin oil pretty much the same? I've been buying the Figaro olive oil for ages.

Educate me, pls.

El Hijo de Manolo

Dec 10, 2021
Dominican Republic
The thing with olive oil, most are blends. The good stuff is all the same olive. The other thing all the Tee Toe health experts don’t tell you, if you heat this past the smoke point (375F) you just threw all that money out the door and should have bought Crisol.

Reactions: bob saunders

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The thing with olive oil, most are blends. The good stuff is all the same olive. The other thing all the Tee Toe health experts don’t tell you, if you heat this past the smoke point (375F) you just threw all that money out the door and should have bought Crisol.
Yep. That I knew. To be extra virgin cold pressed it all has to come from the same olive source and not mixed with previous harvests, hence the "extra virgin"

BTW, I just checked Amazon and Figaro has the same rating as Cecco.

• Haha
Reactions: Sloan