Airbnb/VRBO short term rentals pushing up longer term rental prices ?

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
It must be said.
People make clothes Big, clothes don't make people and smart people with money can afford to dress however they see fit, if for nothing else not to make themselves look like an easy target. The day I see folks walking the streets of El Batey and they are no longer wearing sleeveless shirts or baseball caps, I'll stop going.
Yes, I frequently wear a t-shirt with a baseball cap. The shirt is cool and comfortable and the cap keeps the sun off my head. I still have slightly more than $30 dollars to spend, despite the best efforts of certain people here to change that! I believe Big walks around in a top hat and tails at all times.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Yes, I frequently wear a t-shirt with a baseball cap. The shirt is cool and comfortable and the cap keeps the sun off my head. I still have slightly more than $30 dollars to spend, despite the best efforts of certain people here to change that! I believe Big walks around in a top hat and tails at all times.
When it comes to Sosuwer, Big cracks me up. I enjoy reading post.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Exactly, I'm the same way. I'll check but I believe I have over $33.70 in my pocket.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
It must be said.
People make clothes Big, clothes don't make people and smart people with money can afford to dress however they see fit, if for nothing else not to make themselves look like an easy target. The day I see folks walking the streets of El Batey and they are no longer wearing sleeveless shirts or baseball caps, I'll stop going.
To each his own! Sleeveless muscle shirts in restaurants and bars, baseball caps, flip flops, Crocs goes hand in hand with derelicts that don't know how to handle their cutlery are loud and obnoxious have tattoos of God knows what. Welcome to Sosua!! I love to visit,but for the aforementioned only for a few days.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
To each his own! Sleeveless muscle shirts in restaurants and bars, baseball caps, flip flops, Crocs goes hand in hand with derelicts that don't know how to handle their cutlery are loud and obnoxious have tattoos of God knows what. Welcome to Sosua!! I love to visit,but for the aforementioned only for a few days.
The way they dress isn't the problem however I agree with ya 100% about their behavior. Unfortunately for the OP and concerned parties, these are the exact same tourist who are filling up these short-term rental properties. I think we'd all be a lot better off if the weekend warriors just stayed home and sent them a check twice a month.

Astucia

Papa de Negrita
Oct 19, 2013
The way they dress isn't the problem however I agree with ya 100% about their behavior. Unfortunately for the OP and concerned parties, these are the exact same tourist who are filling up these short-term rental properties. I think we'd all be a lot better off if the weekend warriors just stayed home and sent them a check twice a month.
I'm the OP and I couldn't agree with you more. I'm so sick of their "posse mentality" on the streets and sidewalks. I always thought the "Dominican Motoconcho mentality" was the most disgusting and irritating. Not any more.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Interesting - I only know of 1 of these rentals that is Dominican-owned. Most are European or North Americans.
You know two!!!

My apartment in Sosua rented right away, it's been occupied all Winter long.

JJ

hedon

Mar 26, 2008
People in general from the USA and Canada aren't nearly as likely to go to Asia over the Caribbean, Florida or Mexico to escape from the horrible winter weather. I was addressing the comment that people will now go to Asia because prices are "up" in the DR. Right, 20 hours on a plane each way to Asia is my dream trip these days.

As for that different "market" there are a few people that like Asia if Sosua were not "available" or priced out of their budget. They already go to Asia at times. Those people don't matter to the DR's economy in the scheme of things.

Puerto Plata now has two cruise destinations. HUGE revenue for the DR.

Sosua to Cabarete has been changing, some choose to not notice these changes. This video also discusses those changes:

I see the same changes as mentioned in this video: The Expat versus the Tourist. Anyone who is here that doesn't see these changes has their eyes closed.

You're video is on point. I made a second long term trip to Sosua to investigate renting there for 6 months or maybe the entire year instead of owning in South Florida as I do now. I love Sosua but prices are high , but I am thinking maybe Puerto Plata is a better alternative when it comes to prices but I am not sure about safety . Do you have any suggestions about Puerto Plata?

Markwilltravel

Delicious are the vanities that consume us.
Jan 2, 2022
Canada
I know a number of snowbirds here on the North Coast - all of them have stated that this year they are paying up to DOUBLE the price of their previous rental. And next year looks even higher. Many of them are looking at other destinations for upcoming winter rentals. It would be a shame to lose these snowbirds - most are not the "big party people" that a lot of the sort term rentals seem to acquire. And the most common response they get is that " we can get $1000 weekly for a rental that previously rented for maybe $1000 to $1500 monthly". I'll miss the MANY families and friends that have made this their winter vacation spot for many years, if this comes to be.
My upcoming trip in February that I booked in November was pretty much identical in price to last years stay.
I always book with a superhost and avoid pricey cleaning fees etc via Airbnb.
To try and avoid the dogs and music, I elected to stay in Perla Marina this year.
For sixty days it worked out to 1800.00 cdn. For this sum I get a full size condo, clean and complete.
I did notice that there was less to choose from in my budget, but for the average working Joe, there was plenty to choose from the three places I scoped out, Sosua, Cabarete and of course Perla Marina.

Just putting in some info on my experiences while the ferkin snow dumps on us here in Ontario.

Reactions: danely18

Tradewinds

Oct 7, 2017
We had bought tickets to Las Terrenas last November and then we looked for another 6 month rental which stopped us right there. Rates up triple from 2018.
We're in Thailand now instead, cheaper, friendlier and safer. Hell, it's even rude to honk your horn here. No shotgun armed night guards at condos, never been overcharged for anything except maybe a tuktuk ride. Never been hassled on the street by 'hey my fren' aside from the massage ladies. Asia is busy rebuilding for tourism after covid so the DR may come back to earth soon. And for a snowbird length trip, the long airfare is not such a big deal.

I'll be back. Maybe.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Exactly. Prices are up dramatically in my home country. So expect price rises here in the DR as well. Will they go down? Perhaps a bit, but it is not likely to go back to where they were.
One bedroom apartment used to be from $750. To $900. Here in NC now $12,000. And up.

JJ

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Having been in Cabarete today, I was told the place packed !!
Not a rental to be found practically.... business is booming

My friend did 3x their normal holiday season business

Hot times in Cab - and I suppose Sos too !!

Reactions: bachata