Airline Tickets for the Holiday Season: Continental

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Does anyone know when this " unofficial sales" ends ?? Trying to know the deadline to book before they increase the prices again...
As far as I know, this is not a "sale". They just released some of the lower based fares (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W). Before today, they were only selling the "Y" fares.

The good thing about Continental is that they let you know how many seats are available at the priced displayed. Sometimes they will say "# seats available at this price". When there are more than a few seats available, they will say "limited seats available at this price". At the moment, for my dates, there is no message displayed. So, you can get a feel as to how long the cheap seats will be available.

IMHO, the seats for the Xmas hollidays will never be cheaper. I could be wrong, they still may release some S, T, L, K, G fares.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
My ticket
ewr -pop
was $1208 yesterday (and for the past few months)
and $338 today
(both before taxes)
I know it's crazy and makes no sense but it happens every year.
The prices will now start to gradually increase
and will be $1000 +/- by Christmas time.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My ticket
ewr -pop
and $338 today
(both before taxes)

You got that right,,,,,,, crazy and makes no sense. I just purchased a class "Q" ticket going down and a class "W" ticket coming back. I honestly don't know the difference between the ticket class but I know for sure I won't be riding on the wing so it really doesn't matter.

Thanks again HS10!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
As far as I know, this is not a "sale". They just released some of the lower based fares (M, E, U, H, Q, V, W). Before today, they were only selling the "Y" fares.

The good thing about Continental is that they let you know how many seats are available at the priced displayed. Sometimes they will say "# seats available at this price". When there are more than a few seats available, they will say "limited seats available at this price". At the moment, for my dates, there is no message displayed. So, you can get a feel as to how long the cheap seats will be available.

IMHO, the seats for the Xmas hollidays will never be cheaper. I could be wrong, they still may release some S, T, L, K, G fares.

Thanks Rellosk & HS10 ! Gotta love DR1 !

I feel so ignorant but.........how or where do I find the type of fare I am getting ? :eek:

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
My ticket
ewr -pop
and $338 today
(both before taxes)
Makes no sense at all. Yesterday a ticket EWR-SDQ was $578 +taxes/fees. Three hours ago after reading HS10's post I purchased a ticket for $343 +taxes/fees (early August departure). Now that same ticket is selling for $798 +taxes/fees.

MsOtis

Jul 17, 2011
I got excited for nothing! Continental needs to lower their prices between Thanksgiving and Christmas :-((

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I got excited for nothing! Continental needs to lower their prices between Thanksgiving and Christmas :-((

Right now the prices for your time frame are less than $400 without taxes and fees. This is a bargain for the holidays but keep in mind prices may rise at any moment.

The prices I am finding are departures from EWR.

MsOtis

Jul 17, 2011
The flight I need is $706 total price. It connects in EWR. I'll keep my eyes open for a reduction.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
If you fly Continental to the Dom Rep
And you are flying this holiday season
Today is the day to buy your tickets
This is the lowest price the tickets will be.
It appears you are right. Today's price for my itinerary is now over $1,300!!!!!

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
I'm glad I bought yesterday, paid less than 1/2 price. Feliz navidad.
Good for you and thanks again to the OP.

Just an example of what happened with ticket prices within the last 24 hours. Noon time Thursday till noon time Friday the following is the variation of ticket prices for early August departure from EWR - SDQ.

$578 - $343 - $798 - $563 - $748 plus taxes/fees.

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Good for you and thanks again to the OP.

Just an example of what happened with ticket prices within the last 24 hours. Noon time Thursday till noon time Friday the following is the variation of ticket prices for early August departure from EWR - SDQ.

$578 - $343 - $798 - $563 - $748 plus taxes/fees.

Above was posted at 2:30 pm. It is now 3:30pm and the same ticket has went from $748 to $1068 (+taxes/fees). What in the world is going on with Continental?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Above was posted at 2:30 pm. It is now 3:30pm and the same ticket has went from $748 to $1068 (+taxes/fees). What in the world is going on with Continental?
Continental does seems a little crazy with their pricing these last 2 days. The $1,300 rate I saw this morning is now down to $998 ("limited tickets"). Yesterday I paid $448.