Airport 'helpers'

Adrian Bye

Bronze
Jul 7, 2002
> Did you tip your trusted taxi driver? No, you probably didn't.

This doesn't deserve a response.

One final comment:

The kind of aggressiveness that you see in airports from taxi drivers and baggage handlers is typical for TOURIST AREAS. It happens far less inside the country, and I almost never deal with it in Santiago or Santo Domingo.

The only time its a problem is when I'm catching a plane, or I'm in tourist areas. The Dominicans working there have been trained that they can do this with tourists and because the tourists are on holiday, they'll just pay the ransom rather than have their holiday disturbed.

Sami: perhaps you made too much money in college from tips?

Maybe its time to get a real job, instead of working the front desk of a hotel complaining about how much tourists give you? You may be surprised to learn that the world doesn't owe you a living.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
OneMex said:
I don't think you should be making assumptions, I think you just need to calm down, okay, YOU would tip them for carrying your bags to your vehicle. Most probably would, the thing is, many people don't want to do this, be it that they might not have the money to tip... or perhaps they don't want to give a bill when it is indeed the equivalent to making $10 for 1, maybe 2, minutes of work... that's more income than many people in the world get. It's pointless to give that much when you indeed had no troubles doing it yourself, and sometimes (from what I've read) people want to. Maybe they don't have enough money period, it cost them enough to go on a vacation... like my famnily for example, we are going to try and tip people who help, (we are going to stores that sell cosmetics and trying to get some samples for the maids of our hotel) but frankly, we don't have enough money to tip every dominican that tries to get us to use their services.

Yes, they are trying to support families, etc. But maybe, instead of aggressively trying to grab someone's few bags, stand near the luggage-retrieval point and offer politely with a large smile. That way, you waste less time with people that would tip you less, and save yourself for the big spenders.

I understand that incomes are very small, but you have to understand that some people often don't need the services of these people, or they just don't have enough to tip them... if they had the appropriate amount they maybe would give a nice 'gracias' and a good tip.

But from what I've read, it might be a little intimidating to a person to see people grabbing at their bags, and then demanding a tip. It would be much better if they offered instead of insisting.

Well said.
Companero One Mex, This humble dominican by heart tips his hat to you. Could not have said it better even if I tried. Y arriba Cancun and Mexico, my third favorite place to visit!!!!!!!!!!!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
adrianb said:
> Did you tip your trusted taxi driver? No, you probably didn't.

This doesn't deserve a response.

One final comment:

The kind of aggressiveness that you see in airports from taxi drivers and baggage handlers is typical for TOURIST AREAS. It happens far less inside the country, and I almost never deal with it in Santiago or Santo Domingo.

The only time its a problem is when I'm catching a plane, or I'm in tourist areas. The Dominicans working there have been trained that they can do this with tourists and because the tourists are on holiday, they'll just pay the ransom rather than have their holiday disturbed.

Sami: perhaps you made too much money in college from tips?

Maybe its time to get a real job, instead of working the front desk of a hotel complaining about how much tourists give you? You may be surprised to learn that the world doesn't owe you a living.
Amen to that.

papillon

Nov 4, 2003
Have not had a problem in years in SDQ, maybe since I always travel light (one carryon and one checked suitcase). There seemed to be less of a problem for other people last time I was there in November.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
this thread got a few responses didnt it

when i originally started this thread it was to see if a law had changed or anything,
However it has turned out to be quite a discussion. Without the (un)thoughful insights from sami however, it might have been a boring thread.

Thanks.............. it has been very interesting to read all your comments. I dont think i will be able to beat this one!

Haha!

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Re: this thread got a few responses didnt it

tired_boy said:
when i originally started this thread it was to see if a law had changed or anything,
However it has turned out to be quite a discussion. Without the (un)thoughful insights from sami however, it might have been a boring thread.

Thanks.............. it has been very interesting to read all your comments. I dont think i will be able to beat this one!

Haha!
HEYYY!!!. what about my replies!!.

tired_boy

Bronze
Dec 4, 2003
What i mean miguel is that............... ALL your comments have been brilliant - But if sami hadnt said those things all of you might not have said what you did.
Every comment was excellent, since this thread was started i have experienced both extremes - from being really wound up to laughing out loud.

Your comments have been really good Miguel. It proved to be an interesting thread that i am sure is not over yet either! LOL

Thanx

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
YES!!!!

adrianb said:
Hey! I was great too!

(now this is getting really stupid.. ) :)
Yes, tiredboy, things have changed a little bit. I guess that there were just too many complaints and they needed to do something about it(at least at the capital). Now the maleteros "joden meno". But they still "joden". Now they bother, more, the white people, weather they are germans, americans or canadiens. They rather go to a tourist with white skin because they figure that they will give them dollars instead of pesos. Also, they think that all whites have money, go figure (not me thinking, just what they think).