Airports to be shut down for 15 days from 10th Jan ??

Status
Not open for further replies.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Just got the notification from the Canadian Consulate in my email. The time parameter for testing has been changed from 72 hours before arrival to 96 hours. Probably makes it easier for DR medical labs to accommodate returning Canadians.
That will help a bit.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
I think the restaurants would be happy to get 50% capacity now that all the tourists have been scared off.

And who determines capacity ?.
Will Cuomo send his Nazi style goon-squads down here to show the PN how enforce that ?
Maybe Gavin Newsom will show us how they sat 20 people safely at a table, without masks, at The French Laundry Resturant

And can you see the PN actually doing the math and counting tables and chairs ?

All this is kindergarten politics. Let the people (bars and restaurants) go back to full time work.

Curfews don't stop viruses, vaccines and natural immunity do.
And even if they do this time, well China is working on more viruses they will unleash again sometime soon - maybe some that can not be stopped.
Not trying to go off topic but the fear mongers should be more concerned about what China is currently cooking up in labs and less concerned about how us everyday normal people choose to live our lives. This was a dry run, wake the ckuf up.

DR_Guy

Bronze
Feb 17, 2010
Should be available on the Canadian government consul website for alerts to Canadians travelling to foreign countries. CBC noted only two countries on the list so far, Haiti and St.Pierre-Miquelon. Two islands owned by France 20 kms. off NL’s South coast. The premise for the list is it’s impossible to get testing in these countries. More countries will be added to the list over the next few days. Covid PCR testing in the DR is possible so I don’t expect it to be on the exemption list. The Canadian government might be sensible enough to yield to the airlines request to allow Canadians stuck abroad another two weeks to get home with no testing. One can only hope this madness subsides with time.
You can get tested in the Panama airport in about 20 minutes after landing. I am sure you can get from Panama to Canada. PS they have over 4 separate testing center

Reactions: CristoRey

KITTU

May 13, 2015
I think the restaurants would be happy to get 50% capacity now that all the tourists have been scared off.

And who determines capacity ?.
Will Cuomo send his Nazi style goon-squads down here to show the PN how enforce that ?
Maybe Gavin Newsom will show us how they sat 20 people safely at a table, without masks, at The French Laundry Resturant

And can you see the PN actually doing the math and counting tables and chairs ?

All this is kindergarten politics. Let the people (bars and restaurants) go back to full time work.

Curfews don't stop viruses, vaccines and natural immunity do.
And even if they do this time, well China is working on more viruses they will unleash again sometime soon - maybe some that can not be stopped.
they say it just to say it. They have no freaking clue. Hotels were supposed to working on 50% capacity or something but all hotels are full... We have a new director of tourism in Bavaro and he is going around everyday to hotels, restaurants and verifying everything apparently verifying that.

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
You can get tested in the Panama airport in about 20 minutes after landing. I am sure you can get from Panama to Canada. PS they have over 4 separate testing center
Expensive to fly from DR to Panama. Might be easier to return to Canada through Haiti. As of today the government of Ontario is providing free Covid testing at Toronto airport. Don’t know if it’s for incoming or outgoing international passengers. It may be for both. That would be the simplest solution for all.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Much simpler to test on arrival in Canada. Travelers already have to file a quarantine location. If the test takes a long time to get the results at the airport, then the health Dept. can just go pick up the travelers from their Quaratine location and isolate them. This testing before boarding a flight idea is going to be a nightmare for those trying to return to Canada Unless the travel companies and the airlines make getting the test easy. Not much hope of that. Maybe the travel companies will organize buses for their customers to the nearest testing facility from their AI resort.

Reactions: Ecoman1949

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Much simpler to test on arrival in Canada. Travelers already have to file a quarantine location. If the test takes a long time to get the results at the airport, then the health Dept. can just go pick up the travelers from their Quaratine location and isolate them. This testing before boarding a flight idea is going to be a nightmare for those trying to return to Canada Unless the travel companies and the airlines make getting the test easy. Not much hope of that. Maybe the travel companies will organize buses for their customers to the nearest testing facility from their AI resort.
Testing is just another hurdle lucky we have decent medical capabilities here... Cmc walk-in morning by end of day test results...many options ..sadly social media causes panic ohh they locking airports, no they are not....gringo round up remember that...look what happens when crap is spewed in social media people panic people storm the capital...
point is sit back have a presidente ..the sky is not falling ...it’s a fucken test if your to cheap to come to DR over $75 bucks stay the %&##@ home...your worried it’s two complicated in 4 days to get test stay home...your country thanks you!

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
The latest is that Airtransat will not accept test results from anywhere not pre approved by the CDN Govt. That FB post goes on to say that the clinic in Sosua does not qualify. I'm waiting to see how Harleysrock makes out as squeaking through boarding with an AG-PCR test from CMC is at least somewhat easily doable for me. Going to Puerto Plata to get tested and then again to get the results, possibly not within the time limit is a whole different level of complicated.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
FWIW: Talked to Evelyn yesterday (airport manager) and she said its "fake news" . THERE ARE NO PLANS TO SHUT THE AIRPORTS! So we can move on ....
No surprise to me that "reliable sources" were not reliable and the airports won't be shut down. After all the focus is on AI tourism and that can't run without air traffic.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The latest is that Airtransat will not accept test results from anywhere not pre approved by the CDN Govt. That FB post goes on to say that the clinic in Sosua does not qualify. I'm waiting to see how Harleysrock makes out as squeaking through boarding with an AG-PCR test from CMC is at least somewhat easily doable for me. Going to Puerto Plata to get tested and then again to get the results, possibly not within the time limit is a whole different level of complicated.
Sounds like another issue awaits in the train wreck of their existence.

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Hope you test negative.

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
Hope you test negative.
Thanks. Due to my daily efforts I am fairly confident that I have not contracted Covid at least not yet. Knock on wood. There is always a chance of a false positive test I suppose. For now I am just waiting and watching how all of this pre testing stuff plays out. As with the DR testing people on arrival here a while back, I expect this latest CDN initiative to be a practical and logistical disaster. It doesn't seem to be very easy to get tested and get the results within the necessary time requirements. I suppose that throwing an unlimited amount of money at the problem may help but how many tourists are able to do that? CBC had a news story the other day showing that some travelers had not yet heard about the need for a test to return after their vacation to Cuba. I can't see your average DR AI tourist with poor Spanish skills trucking off to some unfamiliar clinic in an unfamiliar town to get a test without lots of assistance.

Where did they say that? I phoned Air Transat and asked and they said the places they have listed are recommendations only and it can be anywhere you can get a PCR test. Did it specifically say CMC is not valid somewhere?

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
AirTransat has a list of approved places. Not a list of places that are not-approved.

lifeisgreat

Enjoying Life
May 7, 2016
Where did they say that? I phoned Air Transat and asked and they said the places they have listed are recommendations only and it can be anywhere you can get a PCR test. Did it specifically say CMC is not valid somewhere?
Harley you will be ok ...please ignore $&#@@$# spewing out right now... CMC is fine!!!

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
When do you fly ?

Cdn_Gringo

Gold
Apr 29, 2014
It was a screen shot of someone's phone showing someone else's FB post. Admittedly not the most reliable source. Unfortunately I do not remember where I saw it, only that I saw it this morning. If I accidentally stumble across it again, I'll link it.

Status
Not open for further replies.