Alfonso Soriano, Right or wrong?

Status
Not open for further replies.

carlos

Super Moderator
Staff member
May 29, 2002
yeah, they def traded Soriano because they had big issues with him. It had nothing to do with AROD being the other player involved in the trade.

You are not even being objective by calling him MeRod..let's just look at the facts. You are making it seem as if the Yankees traded AS because they were having issues with him. The fact is that they had the opportunity to get AROD and jumped on it.

Me saying let him go or traded or moved or whatever has nothing to do with the point. Your focus is misguided by trying to bring my choice of words into the equation.

I will write again, Soriano is an overall better player than Vidro.

The bottom line is that both parties are to blame in this mess.

As far as MVP PAPI or MEROD..lol

Papi was more of an MVP to the Sox than AROD was to the Yankees

the DH position is what hurt Papi, but he should have won it because he meant a lot more to the sox last year.

anyways, AS has agreed to play LF so it is a mute point now

toneloc24

Bronze
Mar 8, 2004
Quick thing on Soriano and the Yankees. The price to pay for getting the best player in baseball, ARod, from the Rangers was Soriano and a few others. The Rangers got in return as best an exchange in offensive firepower as possible in that circumstance. The Yankees did NOT want to part with Soriano, figuring that Soriano's defense would improve under Willie Randolph's tutelage. You don't pass up the chance to get an ARod, like him or not.

By the way, there was no bad blood on the Yankees' part when they dealt Soriano. It was strictly a business move. Even Soriano acknowledged that. Over this past off-season, there were several rumors that the Yankees were looking at bringing Soriano back. The Rangers wanted too much, and the Yankees weren't trying to part with Roinson Cano either.

Defensively, Soriano sucks, without question. But what he does at the plate and on the bases, gets him a pass. He's a legitimate AND durable 40HR, 100 RBI, .300 avg, 40SB per year threat. Not too many of those in baseball.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
Man, oh boy!!

I wanted to come home from work and add to this thread so badly that "a body smell is coming out of me", lol. It will be a long post so if you don't want to read a long post, STOP READING JUST ABOUT NOW!:

Why is it that SOME og you guys think that Soriano can just be put at any position?. He is not a factory worker. This is a man making million of dollars and whose's only fault is HIS employers NOT doing their jobs when they signed him.

As sportwriter, Michael Morrissey, from the New York Post said: " According to published reports, the Nationals requested to speak with Soriano over the winter before consummating a trade with Texas, in order to discuss a potential position switch. The Rangers, who owned Soriano's rights at that time, refused the request. The Nationals pulled the trigger anyways. The fact that the team traded for him knowing it was an issue is helpful to Soriano. They knew there was a risk, they took that risk. They may have the right to pay the player and have him sit on the bench, but to not pay him?, that's a real legal issue".

Let me make something very clear, When a player is signed, the contract does not say: "we are signing this player to play any position we see fit". We are not dealing with 2 pesos here. We are talking about million of dollars. Player, nowadays, have agents, lawyers and a whole bunch of other people that are looking over every single letter on their contract.

When I used to play 2nd base in Junior High, the application that I signed said "2nd baseman". When I played 2nd base in High School, the application that I signed said "2nd baseman". When I played 2nd base in College, the application that I signed said "2nd baseman. When I played in about 15 different leagues, after school or in the summer, when I signed the appication, THEY ALL SAID "2ND BASEMAN". Trust me, if I was making no money at all and they all specified a position, imagine when we are dealing with million of dollars and a whole bunch of people reading and making you understand your contract. Let the Socks try and make Manny Ramirez a 1st baseman. Let's see how happy he will be!. Crap, once they needed my bat (hits) and they tried to put me to play catcher and I told them, point blank: "kiss my axx, you "singned" me to play 2nd, not catcher".

Unless you have been in his same position, your "views" really means nothing. As I said before, to make a change from the infield to the outfield is not as easy as it seems. Just ask former Yankees player, Chuck Knoblauch. From personal experience, when I was forced to play the outfield, not only did I "smelled", I was so unhappy that my numbers began to suffer. I love baseball and playing in a position that I knew nothing about and that I "smelled", used to take all the fun out of me.

toneloc24, you are more than right, unless someone knows something we don't know, when the Yankees traded Soriano, it was because they wanted Rodriguez.

carlos, one of the reasons why I hate to "debate" baseball with Cleef is because he is not objective when it comes to players that he does not like. I believe that when one is having a discussions about certain players, one needs to be objective at all levels, even if you don't care for the player. Can you imagine if I say/write "the alcoholic and cocaine addict and now guess instructor for the Mets, Darryl Strawberry" every single time I say something about Strawberry?. . Give me a break!.

I hope to God that Soriano sticks to his guns but it's well known that not only he is fighting management, he is also fighting the media and the fans and when you put those 3 together, ganging up on you, you will see things their ways. Let's not forget that management, the media and the fans are way bigger than ANY baseball player. Plain and simple!.

I just hope that management have a plan B just in case he stinks in the outfield. That would be interesting!!.

Last edited:

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Your lining up your sights wrong.

carlos said:
yeah, they def traded Soriano because they had big issues with him. It had nothing to do with AROD being the other player involved in the trade.

You are not even being objective by calling him MeRod..let's just look at the facts. You are making it seem as if the Yankees traded AS because they were having issues with him. The fact is that they had the opportunity to get AROD and jumped on it.

I will write again, Soriano is an overall better player than Vidro.
They traded Soriano because he had good value and they didn't want him playing second. Who he got traded for is moot. They wanted to move him anyway, MeRod just happened to be the prettiest item on the shelf when they found a fit.

You think Texas moved AS because Termell Sledge was available in trade? What's the difference?

I am looking at the facts, that's why I call him MeRod. Who does he give a flip about more than himself and his persona? That's objective, there is a host of evidence to support it.

The Yankees were done with the lack of class or respect for the pinstripes and also the blank stares after he blew another DP ball. I still don't think the Yankees trade for MeRod if Soriano is a gold glove caliber 2B.

That's just a hunch. They rarely have the opportunity to secure a player cheaply (not eligible for free agencey for 6 years) like they did with AS, and they tried to unload him after year 1!!

You can write it all you want that Vidro is better. Convince Washington of that and you'll then have two people that believe it.

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Sense vs. nonsense.

miguel said:
carlos, one of the reasons why I hate to "debate" baseball with Cleef is because he is not objective when it comes to players that he does not like. I believe that when one is having a discussions about certain players, one needs to be objective at all levels, even if you don't care for the player
Nah, it's b/c you make little to no sense - telling us about your 2B career - and you don't read, write or listen very well either; you build straw-man arguments that veer wildly from the posts you quote.

You're objective? You're telling us how your elementary school team signed you to a contract to play second base, and we're to take that as your objective opinion that all baseball players should follow your lead and only play where they want to?

Yes, I dislike MeRod, but I still - unwaveringly - refer to him as the best player in baseball.

How about Craig Biggio and Robin Yount? Two players that switched positions to help their teams and they both won Gold Gloves at both positions - and both of their teams went to the World Series. Soriano moving to a new position it nothing unprecedented in team sports.

The best thing about sports is the opportunity to play. If you were so hung up on playing only second base in my neighborhood, you'd be inside playing with dolls most of the time.

miguel

I didn't last long...
Jul 2, 2003
See

Cleef said:
Nah, it's b/c you make little to no sense - telling us about your 2B career - and you don't read, write or listen very well either; you build straw-man arguments that veer wildly from the posts you quote.

You're objective? You're telling us how your elementary school team signed you to a contract to play second base, and we're to take that as your objective opinion that all baseball players should follow your lead and only play where they want to?

Yes, I dislike MeRod, but I still - unwaveringly - refer to him as the best player in baseball.

How about Craig Biggio and Robin Yount? Two players that switched positions to help their teams and they both won Gold Gloves at both positions - and both of their teams went to the World Series. Soriano moving to a new position it nothing unprecedented in team sports.

The best thing about sports is the opportunity to play. If you were so hung up on playing only second base in my neighborhood, you'd be inside playing with dolls most of the time.
No, the thing with you is that you talk out of axx and then expect everybody to agree with you. When some don't you throw a hissy fit.

What 2nd base career or contract are you blabbing about?. Did my post say anything about a contract?. I said "application". Look at the big picture, I was sorely talking about when a person, any person, is selected to play a position. I was just giving an example so people like you can understand.

If you go back and read my previous posts, you will see where I wrote that MANY have been able to make the switch and MANY have not. Soriano thinks that he is no good playing the outfield. Who are you or who am I to blame him?.

Since he played Left Field today, guess what happened to him?. He was boo'ed nonstop!. Guess what will happen to him every time he bats or take the field?. Now, do you, or anybody, thinks that he will be playing the game in a happy mood?.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.