All of you gringos living in the DR, get in this thread NOW...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GringoCArlos

Retired Ussername
Jan 9, 2002
If you work hard to save up a wad, and aren't smart enough to invest a tiny part of it in legal advice before and during, on how to protect yourself against something like this, you will pay the price later. And au contrair my friend, if you start a business together and they are a partner, then they better be right there at your elbow, earning their half of the bargain, right? Any kids can play at your feet, because mommy and daddy are working right now.

A good prenup, (after all, you are both already in decent financial shape right?) and then setting up the new company as partners, means you give up half when it's still cheap (at start-up) BEFORE it costs you your retirement, when you don't want to (or cannot) continue to work. If they choose to bail during the trip, buy them out on the cheap - and anything is cheaper than later at the moment that you are ready to retire.

If you choose to use the little head along the way, or after you retire, then stop for a minute and just use the Big head in ways to avoid problems, like boys weekends in another state or country.

If he or she chooses to dump you later, you already know how much you have for the day you quit working. And if they don't dump you but instead to head to paradise with you, then you can end up living your dreams together, and in a bigger way.

By the way, NO - I didn't or haven't followed all of these rules, I had to learn some of them the hard way by paying the price along the way.

Last edited:

Rocky

Honorificabilitudinitatibus
Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
If you get really lucky, you could move here with very little money, as I did, work 20 hours a day, 7 days a week for a few years, then reduce it down to 18 hours per day for a few more years, take a day off every 6 years and eventually work yourself out of debt after 13 years, and you can live in paradise.
But, like I said, you'd have to get lucky for that one to work out as good for you as it did for me.

fireman9119ca

Mar 1, 2008
Hello

I live there about 6 months a year due to the fact I invested and bought houses here In Canada. I have worked hard, and lived WAY below my means. I don't really make much money with my occupation but what I do with the money I make seems to have worked out well for me. ex ..Instead of driving a 40 000 car, I would use that for a down payment of 2 rental houses and buy a 3000 dollar car. There is alot of money to be made in Canada if you are smart. I am slowly buying properties in the DR now

good luck

FM

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i live on the assumption that one can marry more money in a minute than earn during lifetime.
;)

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
To sun and buns, all you need to do is find out what special skill you have and figure a way to teach people that skill and then start your own business.
Come to think of it, S & B has never told us what his specialty is in life, or what most interests him, what skills he might have.
It would be a lot easier to make valid suggestions if we knew what he does and/or likes to do.

A

apostropheman

I seem to recall that he really likes the chicas, is a dancing maniac and seems a very large and fit guy that likes his mixed martial arts. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

In all seriousness perhaps he could affiliate himself with a dojo and teach martial arts...or even better slowly gather a group of private students. It wouldn't pay a whole lot but it might pay enough to have a decent time.
Come to think of it, S & B has never told us what his specialty is in life, or what most interests him, what skills he might have.
It would be a lot easier to make valid suggestions if we knew what he does and/or likes to do.
I've not met him but from many that have S&B seems to be a decent guy in person. He's sure off the wall online but I understand his wanting to move to the DR so bad it makes him a little crazy. :D

Hopefully he'll find something that works for him so that he too can live his dream.

Rocky

Apr 4, 2002
www.rockysbar.com
I seem to recall that he really likes the chicas, is a dancing maniac and seems a very large and fit guy that likes his mixed martial arts. :cheeky::bunny::bunny:

In all seriousness perhaps he could affiliate himself with a dojo and teach martial arts...or even better slowly gather a group of private students. It wouldn't pay a whole lot but it might pay enough to have a decent time.

There used to be a karate or judo school in town.
There had been one near the Super Super and another in the building at the Texaco station that crumbled during the earthquake.
There has to be a market for that, assuming that there isn't one already open, in which case, he might get a job there.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
i live on the assumption that one can marry more money in a minute than earn during lifetime. ;)

Probably but it doesn't become truly yours until you have a few divorces under your belt...................:) I suppose S&B could tilt his cap at Quirino Castillo's wife, looks like her husband is going to be tied up awhile.

megabiteme

[ - Mute Button -] Click!
Jan 9, 2008
You will suffer as I do to get by. many of the people on this site Know my condition, and here it is again. I'm on disability only getting 825.00 per month. I get help from the local corner market store that gives me credit when I run out of money and that's all the time. So I'm always about 5-7,000 pesos behind to get by for the month. i don't buy all the good things that people take for granted like ice cream, cookies, etc or going to the movies because i would not have money to eat. Its been pure hell and sometimes I wish to be called by the man upstairs. I have pain that is so bad most of the time, that I am a real bastard because of my irritability and its just too much to take! It feels like my spine is in a vise that is just squeezing all the damn time! But I'm a strong guy and many people who see me cannot tell I have this pain. I came here only to survive nothing more. I had no choice! but to leave my home of New York living on the Island but of course could not afford even a room to rent. I am a former parts manager for over 15 years working with ford motor company, so having to manage over millions of dollars of other peoples money, I guess it has taught me to manage what little I have. there is no help in this country either!! medical wise, food wise, so you better have the money for those things. I am now using crazy glue to help hold my front teeth in from a childhood accident. My pins have finally washed away from the 35 years of eating and brushing. I cannot afford to have even the anchors to be drilled in to hold them, its only 10,000 pesos, but there goes my rent money. I'm totally screwed and I know the day is coming soon when I will have nothing to hold my teeth in. so therefore I will not be able to take this embarrassing moment and only hope that I die before someone would see me like this.

If you dont have the money as a fixed income to stay here, stay in the states!!! perhaps living on the streets, it seems to me that's a better life right now. at least you will have medical coverage!!! they cannot tell you no like the do here. Its' either pay them or don't get help! Fuc---g amazing!!! Don't come here is my advice! unless you have more of a fixed income of at least 2,000 per month. I could live on that! sorry for the too much info on the teeth thing, I do have pretty good teeth, its that I lost my four front teeth falling on ice when I was little. The pins they put into the bone have gone away in time and the only thing i have is the one tooth that goes into my caps, but that too is almost gone because of the amount of time and having no money to see a dentist. How ironic! since I have a uncle who is a dentist, but I am here-lol,,, Life sucks!!! just waiting to die! not sure what the man upstairs wants from me! They say God does things to make you closer to him. Funny thing is I have always gone to church on Sundays even in my condition and now since its only a matter of another month or 2 before glue will not help me, He wants to really put me too the test. Can't figure HIM out yet, I guess we never will. He knows the heart right??!!! He should know I am HIS. The bad people in this world are always happy, and the good people get screwed! Anyway, perhaps find somebody to live with and help out with the bills etc, than of course you can live much better. I have many ideas on how to make money here in this country, but of course it takes money too make money. You can't even get a damn loan from these people here without having an ID card or a job for at least a year. i have tried many times, and they always want a co signer. I bet I make more than some people get at their jobs just from my fixed income, and I always get turned down. Funny!! My income is 100% there on the 3rd of every month until I die. what more of a guarantee do they want. They also will rob you here! once they see your a gringo, you will pay much more for anything they sell unless you shop at a market etc. if you need something for your car or a repair for your home appliances--whoa!! look out!!! your Donald Trump in their eyes. Now I can see why they all want to go to America,yea! me too!!!

sweetdbt

Bronze
Sep 17, 2004
megabiteme,

Instead of telling the same old sob story over and over you need to reevaluate your situation and make changes so you can live within your income. Lots of expats in the DR do it to say nothing of the vast majority of the Dominican population who live on much less.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you not post in another thread that your rent is $500/mth? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that on an income of $825 you can't pay that much in rent and still have money to live on the way you want to. I also seem to recall you saying you have satellite TV with NFL package. Seems like quite an extravagence for someone in such dire straits.

Your first step should be to find an apartment for 1/3 of your monthly income or less. This is the generally accepted limit for someone living on a fixed amount. You may not like the neighborhood, but in the real world people live where they can afford to live. Get rid of the satellite TV and anything else resembling an extravagence and then see where you are.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
megabiteme,

Instead of telling the same old sob story over and over you need to reevaluate your situation and make changes so you can live within your income. Lots of expats in the DR do it to say nothing of the vast majority of the Dominican population who live on much less.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but did you not post in another thread that your rent is $500/mth? It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that on an income of $825 you can't pay that much in rent and still have money to live on the way you want to. I also seem to recall you saying you have satellite TV with NFL package. Seems like quite an extravagence for someone in such dire straits.

Your first step should be to find an apartment for 1/3 of your monthly income or less. This is the generally accepted limit for someone living on a fixed amount. You may not like the neighborhood, but in the real world people live where they can afford to live. Get rid of the satellite TV and anything else resembling an extravagence and then see where you are.

Yes sure do have a dish, paid for it when I first came here and I get the programming for free, so its all free. My error on the rent, yes I do pay 500 per month and when you can't get enough money up for the deposit you cannot get another apartment. I've tried several times, but they want 3 times the rent for the deposit. So if you live here, you know this as well. I have never heard of paying a lawyer one full months rent plus the money for the contract. nothing but crooks here, so I gave up on that until I have some money in the bank--whoa! right! extravagance? where? do you want a satellite?? its always in the paper by digital TV for 8,000 big time pesos and all you do is go to a satellite website, obtain the bin/file load it in your unit and poof, all the channels you could imagine. I got this when I first came here and had some extra money like everyone else does when they move to another state or country, let me know, I'll get ya hooked up ;)

anyway, that was my advise to the poster. I wanted to let him see what happens to some of the low fixed incomes people that came here. One thing I would like to know is how do the other fixed income folks get medical. Do they pay out of pocket or do they go to the insurance companies here? I tried that as well and they would charge me 3,000 per month, but I have no place to cut from another so I could pay that. maybe next year when my benefits increase by 5-7%. Thanks for the advice, I have nothing that I could live without as of now. If you know of any cheap apartments here in the capital, please PM me.

A

apostropheman

Here's a thought MegaB,

why not get a job to supplement your income?

Can't you wife also work?

You could work in a call centre. IIRC call centres in SD start around 20-25k pesos a month and can pay 30k or more depending upon your skills and getting promotions.
(mas o menos, close enough for jazz, subject to change without notice, etc... :laugh:)

Why not try that for a few months and save your income, put it towards new teeth and to front the cost for getting a new apartment...or whatever.

I know, working is perhaps not what you want to do but even for a short time t could ease you financial issues.

Hint: just be sure NOT to mention your DR1 handle...just in case :D:bunny::bunny:

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Megabiteme, why not invite Dr. Kervorkian down for a friendly visit? Perhaps pass the hat and collect some money? I'm thinking there are some here who would pay dearly for the chance to help you end it all.

Next time at a traffic lite some guy with no front toofes comes to my window with "will work for suicide money" scrawled on a piece of torn cardboard, I'll be sure to give generously...:eek:gre:

SunAndBuns

Mar 18, 2007
There were a lot of damned good, valuable advices said on this thread that Im going to try and take it all of these replies to heart's contents. There is really no magic short cut formula after all...it was just a lot of hard work, patience, and good financial management to make it happen.
The fact is...im 22 years old now...I don't want to look at what's going to happen in 5 or 10 years from now. Every night here in America, is a night in the DR wasted away. The discos, the chicas, the music, the cerveza, all of it...flies by night after night without me.
I don't want to stay in America any longer then I absolutely have to. The depression is getting very strong, the pain and anger is really starting to give away on my face. I dedicate most of my days inside of my apartment, reading stock market books, looking at charts, and dreaming about the DR. I have money saved up, enough for me to stay in the DR for a good 3 months, but I am holding off against the strong temptations to just take all of the money and go to the DR. I want to save this money, make the pile grow, and invest it wisely.
Lots of good information on this thread that im going to put to the test in action. Thank you Gringo Carlos for putting up that instructional guide, I have it printed out and will read it over and over.
For one, let me make it as clear as I possibly can, that I am extremly persistent and dedicated to making this dream happen. At this point in life, I dream and daydream about the DR every single minute of the days that pass by. I am not working now, but am gradually saving up. I have no debt, no rent to pay, absolutely no bills of whatsoever to pay.
Like what Marco told me a while back
Just wanting something isnt enough, you need to have logistics in order to make it happen
and since then I've been hitting the books on the stock market. The more I am reading about finances and how to economically manage my money in a mor eeffecient way. I spend 5 dollars a day, and that covers all of the food and water I need. I live to survive.
I expect in 8-10 months to be living in the DR on a fixed income of 1200-1500 USD a month. I know an apartment in Los Charamicos that I can rent for 75 USD a month. I have seen this apartment, it is a simple one room bed, with a ceiling fan. I have calculated that I will have an average of 45 dollars a day of spending money. One chica and food will be covered a day. On mondays and tuesdays, I will spend very little and accumulate that towards the weekend. I will proficiently manage my finances by buying agua jugs, going to the 90 peso chicken restaurant in los Charamicos 4 times a day, varying between chicken and beef, spending the bulk of the day swimming and running at the beach (minimizing my spending stretch), and come night, the bulk of the 45 dollars will be concentrated in partying like a turista. I will bring my Cannondale roadbike with me, and will go for long bike rides from Sosua to Puerto Plata. Boredom will be effeciently dealt with in a recreative fashion, to stay in shape and healthy.
I will avoid drugs and alcohol.
Yes, I know that Los Charamicos in dangerous for the gringo to live in. There is actually a drug dealing house right next door, but I don't think that we're going to have any problems with each other. The othe roption is to live in El Batley, the gringo haven of Sosua, and waste away 300 USD a month for rent. Thanks but no thanks, I'll take the Los Charamicos option.
Who knows any gringos that live in Los Charamicos by the way?
Well, this is everything I have to say in reply to you perverted gringos and skanky gringas.

megabiteme

Jan 9, 2008
Here's a thought MegaB,

why not get a job to supplement your income?

Can't you wife also work?

You could work in a call centre. IIRC call centres in SD start around 20-25k pesos a month and can pay 30k or more depending upon your skills and getting promotions.
(mas o menos, close enough for jazz, subject to change without notice, etc... :laugh:)

Why not try that for a few months and save your income, put it towards new teeth and to front the cost for getting a new apartment...or whatever.

I know, working is perhaps not what you want to do but even for a short time t could ease you financial issues.

Hint: just be sure NOT to mention your DR1 handle...just in case :D:bunny::bunny:

This thread is not about me so no need to hijack it, I gave the poster my feed back, but I know the few of you like to jump on the people here just to get your thrills in for the day. Feels good don't it. makes you folks feel good inside to kick the people that are down and only hope for the ones that do, that this will happen to you someday. I will never be like any one of you people, i never could do such a thing. I'm disabled! I get SS, therefore I cannot work even If I could. But if I did, I would lose my benefits. My wife? why expose yet another thing that I hold dear to my heart, for you folks would just jump on that ride as well and beat it to death. Poor me?? Bull crap, I don't post here to get sympathy, I post for help at times or try to help others. Love thy neighbor He Say's, some of you will never do that or just can't. Love thy enemies? that's pure hell for some people, so I say God bless you all that seem fit to be little me in my state of health and despair. yes I'm poor worthless person, But My kids and wife love me and who are some of you that judge? I don't do the things some of you do, It's not in me to try and hurt others as long as they do me no physical harm. My DR1 handle, wow! Lets get lower and tell me something that would matter to me. Megabiteme--a real threat, can't read between the lines as it being humor and I thought I misunderstood Rocky-lol

This place needs people like me, i have read some stories like about the kid that needed an operation. here I am making the first bid in helping this person before the thread was closed. At least the heart is the heart and I would help a stranger if it meant that I could not eat for a day. I am an open person so forgive me that I sometimes tell all of my life's story at times. this does not mean that some of you should bash and make fun of one's situation, but whatever makes you feel good I guess that's good for you. I have not seen a post from the creator of this thread yet, so here ya go. This is what this country is made of. people will kick you when your down so you better keep things to yourself. Cris, ann, nothing to say to keep people like this in line? I happen to like most of the people on this site and for the one's I could care less about because of the abuse they post, should be banned from here. Why do you allow such things to continue here. Its just plan old bullying and they hide behind their computers so they are safe.

Anyway, I hope this thread helped the original poster, but I don't see how. this entire thing should be deleted. Although this thread was not about me at all, i did receive a PM from a great member here and he has given me an answer to my prayer. I can't thank him enough for what info he has sent me, and perhaps I will share this story with the few of you who really give a hoot. But for those who seem fit in doing what they do best, i'm sure this too will bother them and it will be yet another beat up the guy that's down thread even when something positive happened. Go figure, some of you will never be nothing when you get older or perhaps you will lose everything that you have and than you will be laughed at as well. Don't worry, you will have your chance! I am a true believer of what goes around will come back to bite you as you have really earned it. So God bless all that hate me and continue having your fun on my behalf, I have sent you the message, but the one that deals with the likes of some of you, can judge you. Good Luck with that! ;)

SunAndBuns

Mar 18, 2007
You will suffer as I do to get by. many of the people on this site Know my condition, and here it is again. I'm on disability only getting 825.00 per month. I get help from the local corner market store that gives me credit when I run out of money and that's all the time. So I'm always about 5-7,000 pesos behind to get by for the month. i don't buy all the good things that people take for granted like ice cream, cookies, etc or going to the movies because i would not have money to eat. Its been pure hell and sometimes I wish to be called by the man upstairs. I have pain that is so bad most of the time, that I am a real bastard because of my irritability and its just too much to take! It feels like my spine is in a vise that is just squeezing all the damn time! But I'm a strong guy and many people who see me cannot tell I have this pain. I came here only to survive nothing more. I had no choice! but to leave my home of New York living on the Island but of course could not afford even a room to rent. I am a former parts manager for over 15 years working with ford motor company, so having to manage over millions of dollars of other peoples money, I guess it has taught me to manage what little I have. there is no help in this country either!! medical wise, food wise, so you better have the money for those things. I am now using crazy glue to help hold my front teeth in from a childhood accident. My pins have finally washed away from the 35 years of eating and brushing. I cannot afford to have even the anchors to be drilled in to hold them, its only 10,000 pesos, but there goes my rent money. I'm totally screwed and I know the day is coming soon when I will have nothing to hold my teeth in. so therefore I will not be able to take this embarrassing moment and only hope that I die before someone would see me like this.

If you dont have the money as a fixed income to stay here, stay in the states!!! perhaps living on the streets, it seems to me that's a better life right now. at least you will have medical coverage!!! they cannot tell you no like the do here. Its' either pay them or don't get help! Fuc---g amazing!!! Don't come here is my advice! unless you have more of a fixed income of at least 2,000 per month. I could live on that! sorry for the too much info on the teeth thing, I do have pretty good teeth, its that I lost my four front teeth falling on ice when I was little. The pins they put into the bone have gone away in time and the only thing i have is the one tooth that goes into my caps, but that too is almost gone because of the amount of time and having no money to see a dentist. How ironic! since I have a uncle who is a dentist, but I am here-lol,,, Life sucks!!! just waiting to die! not sure what the man upstairs wants from me! They say God does things to make you closer to him. Funny thing is I have always gone to church on Sundays even in my condition and now since its only a matter of another month or 2 before glue will not help me, He wants to really put me too the test. Can't figure HIM out yet, I guess we never will. He knows the heart right??!!! He should know I am HIS. The bad people in this world are always happy, and the good people get screwed! Anyway, perhaps find somebody to live with and help out with the bills etc, than of course you can live much better. I have many ideas on how to make money here in this country, but of course it takes money too make money. You can't even get a damn loan from these people here without having an ID card or a job for at least a year. i have tried many times, and they always want a co signer. I bet I make more than some people get at their jobs just from my fixed income, and I always get turned down. Funny!! My income is 100% there on the 3rd of every month until I die. what more of a guarantee do they want. They also will rob you here! once they see your a gringo, you will pay much more for anything they sell unless you shop at a market etc. if you need something for your car or a repair for your home appliances--whoa!! look out!!! your Donald Trump in their eyes. Now I can see why they all want to go to America,yea! me too!!!

You sound awfully familiar. Are you that guy in the wheelchair, wears glasses, who lives in the Romanoff hotel, across from that 24 hour bar?
We always talk and laugh together and you seem very happy. It is going to sound crazy, but you are my role model man. I know your confined to a wheelchair, but you seem like a very intelligent dude that knows his way around. Your fun to talk to, and i think your ****ing awesome. You didn't let your disability stop you from living the dream, you got the **** out of America and live the life every night...I give you credit for that man!
If you are not the guy who I think you are, does anybody know who I am talking about?

DRob

Gold
Aug 15, 2007
Sunny Bunny,

One option mentioned here (but not reiterated by you) is the possibility of getting a job.

You seem to be a fitness nut. Well, you seem a bit nutty on multiple levels, but that's another story. :paranoid: Here' a suggestion: why don't you get a job at one of the resorts as a fitness instructor? You get to:

1: Spend all day running and jumping on the beach;

2: Have access to free workout facilities/equipment;

3: Get paid, therefore extending your money and time in country;

4: Do something legit, and expand your understanding and appreciation of DR beyond chicas and cervezas;

5: Enjoy a more diverse diet than multiple trips to the chicken shack; and

6: Meet new and interesting people on a weekly basis, which will hopefully encourage you to have more of a life when you get back home.

While you won't earn a fortune (or even a decent living), it will supplement your income considerably, and give you a more well rounded experience. Just a few small suggestions, hope they're helpful. Who knows, maybe you won't even have to live next to a drug house (which is just begging for trouble, esp. in DR).

Good luck,

DRob:glasses:

Status
Not open for further replies.