Altos de Chavon

D1at196

Feb 15, 2010
Bronx, New York, United States
Has anyone ever been to Altos de Chavon? what was your experience like?

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Ag12nzEmX0&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7Ag12nzEmX0&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

<object width="853" height="505"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/idmQU2TfVfg&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/idmQU2TfVfg&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="853" height="505"></embed></object>

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
Great view, okay if you want to play the golf course there, otherwise fake & boring.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We went there once back when they first opened [maybe '80-81??] and it was a pleasant day, nice views, never felt the need to go back a 2nd time.

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
If you are not on an excursion from a touroperator.
You have to pay 40 Dollars entrance for person.

Huh when did they start charging? maybe been a while since I was there, great view down to the river, from a couple of the restaurants. an the amphitheater is awesome.

CFA123

Silver
May 29, 2004
yeah, i didn't pay either, but it's been about 3 years. if i had paid, i'd give a much worse review!

should say in fairness, the amphitheater could be nice for concerts

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
it was 10 usd last year.
entrance only of course.

Is this all the time now? and what does the 10 bucks get you. when I was there and it was a quite a while ago, you had the art schools, the amphitheater, some restaurants, gift shops. galleries, but nothing I would have spent 10 bucks on just to go look.

Aug 19, 2004
Certainly not worth $10. First time I went was 20 years ago and the last 2 years ago. It was exactly the same including the stuff they were trying to sell in the shops.

Celt202

Gold
May 22, 2004
I've seen it

I walked through there 6 years ago. It didn't cost me anything to get in.

The view of the river was nice, the village is fake but interesting. I agree that the amphitheater would be a great place for a concert.

I wouldn't pay to stroll around the place again.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
It is 40 Dollar for person.
If you are together with a licenced tourguide it is 5 Dollar.

Well then I guess no more Alto De Chavon for me.

Another question, you say it's $10us. Or equivalent $360rd? there would have to be an equivalent peso price, don't think they can charge in just US dollars. And is there a resident price vs Tourist price?

any one know

D1at196

Feb 15, 2010
Bronx, New York, United States
I went in early January 2010 and we had to pay $25 each person to have access to Casa de Campo. In addition to Altos de chavon, after paying the entrance fee, you get access to other areas in Casa de Campo. That they we only whent to Altos de Chavon and playa Minitas.

demi56

Jun 2, 2007
bayahibewebcam.com
Few months ago Casa de Campo introduced an entrance fee 25 USD per person, and the old access to Altos de Chavon was closed, the only way to enter was through Casa de Campo main entrance, therefore paying 25 USD per person to enter, plus additional 3 - 5 USD the admission to Altos de Chavon. I like to go to Altos de Chavon, like the view and the fell of the village, but it's not worth of paying that much.
Couple weeks ago few people went to Altos de Chavon by a private taxi and paid only 5 USD per person, and since then few of our clients went there and paid the same. So I guess the fee has been changed back to the old rate.

bienamor

Apr 23, 2004
at $5 still too high, charging to enter a tourist trap.

what about when they have concerts? still have the entrance fee on top of the ticket cost or is added in?