American Airlines / US Airways merger in doubt

brlatm

Apr 26, 2012
Yes flights on all airlines have gone up lately. This year I have flown Delta, Jetblue, AA and United in the DR. I was going locally out of an airport 30 mins from here on United but now they have canceled it into POP until October sometime so that blows so now it's a 140 miles drive to Philly to go catch a flight. I have done the drive into NYC and you guys can keep that place to try and battle traffic and get a decent parking spot! $18 a night to park is just stupid!

And the only reason I have to fly from the east coast is I am working on a project out here. Other wise its a 6 hour drive to Denver from my regular house to catch a decent flight and I still have to overnight in either Miami or Dallas.

And the costs differential does not add up flying into STI when you have to fly 4 people and then catching a taxi back to the NC.

vmhatup

Aug 18, 2009
I thought AA stopped flying to SDQ. Am I misinformed?

They stopped flying from Puerto Rico to the Dominican Republic. Now it's all through jetblue.

In jetblue's case, if you miss your flight, you can take another flight to the same city on the same day free of charge. Otherwise, you pay a $150 penalty.

Last edited:

PJT

Silver
Jan 8, 2002
Making the rounds

Expect this merger to go through after running through the congressional and FAA gauntlet. It's in the cards. Expect the airline lobbyists and political contributors to be making the rounds at the capitol boiler rooms to work out deals. The merger will get the go-ahead after the two carriers surrender some high revenue routes and make promises to cover less served airports in influential policy maker's districts. It is all part of the Washington game.

Regards,

PJT

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
American Airlines today:

Tues-Thurs departure/ Sat stay/ Tues-Thurs return, 3-6 weeks advance purchase DCA-SDQ R/T= $372

Up about $40 from 6 years ago

1st bag (<50lbs) and 1 carry on plus hand bag= free

US Airways is one of the worst run airlines in the USA. They've got some great routes though and if AMR management isn't busted up in the deal this should be one very superior airline, especially with the new fleet of jets ordered up by AA.

beastwood

Jun 30, 2011
American Airlines today:

Tues-Thurs departure/ Sat stay/ Tues-Thurs return, 3-6 weeks advance purchase DCA-SDQ R/T= $372

Up about $40 from 6 years ago

1st bag (<50lbs) and 1 carry on plus hand bag= free

US Airways is one of the worst run airlines in the USA. They've got some great routes though and if AMR management isn't busted up in the deal this should be one very superior airline, especially with the new fleet of jets ordered up by .

Originally the deal was slated to have the bulk of mgmt of usair running the show...not sure the
Latest.

Aug 6, 2006
Mergers generally result in higher ticket prices for consumers and a lot of employees thrown out of work. NOT in the public interest.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Originally the deal was slated to have the bulk of mgmt of usair running the show...not sure the
Latest.

I hope they thought better of it since. US Airways has a pretty low customer satisfaction rating. I have had some real adventures with them. They were just supposed to be flights but they turned into adventures.

Aug 6, 2006
Always take some extra clothes with you in your carry-on bag, including underwear. Be prepared for your checked bag arriving late. I learned this on my last trip.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I had Jet Blue lose my luggage on a non-stop direct flight after checking in 2 hours before takeoff.

How do they lose luggage on a non-stop flight?

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
I had Jet Blue lose my luggage on a non-stop direct flight after checking in 2 hours before takeoff.

How do they lose luggage on a non-stop flight?

LOL, they put it on the wrong plane. I had a direct flight to Spain from JFK, and my luggage went to Portugal. And then when I flew to Florence, Italy - via Heathrow, Gatwick, Zurich and Basel - it was all there waiting for me at the Florence airport. Go figure.