American Cars and DR-CAFTA?

Jan 9, 2004
A Prado is a Land Cruiser, or more correctly, a Land Cruiser model. Everybody here likes to throw in that "Land Cruiser" prefix when they talk about their Prado.

Or they'll say a Lexus is the same as their Prado.

I've heard that more than once.

By the way,, anybody notice Supercarros changed their website? It's a lot faster now!

Agreed.

The Prado is a shorter/lighter version of the Land Cruiser lineup with less standard amenities.

And to confuse things further, the Prado equivalent in the US is the Lexus GX 460/470, while the main Land Cruiser model is equivalent to the Lexus LX570.....but with a better price point.

Toyota has blurred the lines between these brands...making it difficult, but not impossible, to compare.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Agreed.

The Prado is a shorter/lighter version of the Land Cruiser lineup with less standard amenities.

And to confuse things further, the Prado equivalent in the US is the Lexus GX 460/470, while the main Land Cruiser model is equivalent to the Lexus LX570.....but with a better price point.

Toyota has blurred the lines between these brands...making it difficult, but not impossible, to compare.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

I also think there's bleed-over between the Lexus RX350 and the Toyota Venza. We own both cars, and they seem almost the same to me - we bought the 4 cyl Venza because we knew it was going to DR at some point, and if I recall correctly the 4 cyl's tires are 1" smaller than the 6 cyl. The main difference I see is that our Venza is an inch or two lower than our Lexus.

Jan 9, 2004
I also think there's bleed-over between the Lexus RX350 and the Toyota Venza. We own both cars, and they seem almost the same to me - we bought the 4 cyl Venza because we knew it was going to DR at some point, and if I recall correctly the 4 cyl's tires are 1" smaller than the 6 cyl. The main difference I see is that our Venza is an inch or two lower than our Lexus.

Similar, like brothers from different mothers.

Lots of similarities...but lots of differences as well...price being the most obvious. The RX will set you back approximately 13k more than the Venza.....but the point is moot as Toyota discontinued the Venza this past June.

The reason.....Toyota already has the upscale/downscale/large/small/SUV/Crossover market well covered with other models.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Similar, like brothers from different mothers.

Lots of similarities...but lots of differences as well...price being the most obvious. The RX will set you back approximately 13k more than the Venza.....but the point is moot as Toyota discontinued the Venza this past June.

The reason.....Toyota already has the upscale/downscale/large/small/SUV/Crossover market well covered with other models.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Wow, I didn't know that about the Venza, too bad because it's a nice car. Since I don't see a lot of them on the road in the US, I guess they weren't that popular.

Someone else told us that it's basically a Camry parts-wise, ever hear that?

Jan 9, 2004
Wow, I didn't know that about the Venza, too bad because it's a nice car. Since I don't see a lot of them on the road in the US, I guess they weren't that popular.

Someone else told us that it's basically a Camry parts-wise, ever hear that?

Never heard that one. I have heard the Venza described as similar to what a Toyota Camry station wagon should/would look like today....however they share few parts with the Camry sedan.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Last edited: