american doctors attacked in SD

JMB773

Silver
Nov 4, 2011
"JMB", I got laid in San Juan just as fast and easy as in Sosua.
Only difference, "Dominicanas" are MUCH BETTER!
The DR's "Tourist Numbers" are artificially high, because they list every US citizen as a "Tourista".
Returning Dominicans who are US citizens are listed as "Tourists", if they use their USA passport.
When an American Citizen goes to "PR", I don't know how they list them. You just get off the plane and walk out of "Jose Munoz" airport, if you arrive from the "Mainland"!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
Cc it is a lot of "he she's" in PR and many of them love to mislead men like yourself. CC please do not tell me you went to PR looking for sex because Diana I mean David winked at you.

btw On the good side at least you do not have to worry about Diana I mean David showing up in Santo Domingo at your front door saying"Mira CC tu hijo"

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
I am not the only one losing my threads here..

this one is about either the dental union or the state department organizing an armed robbey

not relative tourism between the DR and PR .. why not.. hey.. here is an idea.. start your own thread::

i understand now the cC works for the hooker?s union here and will not get so upset at him

but you guys had a discussion on cuba and education on the MEDINA and Education thread

perhaps i am not the only one who needs to monitor medication

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
So why do these dentists not just volunteer in Detroit.. where there is no public health dentistry?

welll, maybe they do.

just not a lot of them.

This country's free medical is bETTER than that in the UNITED STATES

They don't volunteer in Detroit, but they do carry out free clinics in the city and in Appalachia.

The clinics I coordinate are carried out with the approval, cooperation and supervision of Salud P?blica in the DR. If the DR government welcomes and works with this group, who are you to say that their help is not needed?

As to medical doctors, I coordinated a different group (last February) of ob-gyns who performed free surgery on poor patients in Puerto Plata at the public hospital there. Those patients were not required to pay for medicines or sutures, or blood - unlike the usual public health patient - so the extremely poor who could not pay even the small amounts charged by public health were served.

One of their patients worked with me on subsequent dental clinics. She told me that the public health doctors kept having her return, but did nothing. The doctors I organized performed the surgery she needed at no cost to her and she was incredibly grateful. This woman chose NOT to eat the food provided for the workers at the dental clinic (in spite of the fact that her diabetes was out of control) and instead gave it to her children because "no hay comida en la casa para mi hijo."

Are you going to tell me that the dental and medical missions are not useful? I don't think so! The number of people who receive care they could not otherwise obtain and the funds paid to Dominicans who work as translators or in other capacities during the clinic make a difference.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
They don't volunteer in Detroit, but they do carry out free clinics in the city and in Appalachia.

The clinics I coordinate are carried out with the approval, cooperation and supervision of Salud P?blica in the DR. If the DR government welcomes and works with this group, who are you to say that their help is not needed?

As to medical doctors, I coordinated a different group (last February) of ob-gyns who performed free surgery on poor patients in Puerto Plata at the public hospital there. Those patients were not required to pay for medicines or sutures, or blood - unlike the usual public health patient - so the extremely poor who could not pay even the small amounts charged by public health were served.

One of their patients worked with me on subsequent dental clinics. She told me that the public health doctors kept having her return, but did nothing. The doctors I organized performed the surgery she needed at no cost to her and she was incredibly grateful. This woman chose NOT to eat the food provided for the workers at the dental clinic (in spite of the fact that her diabetes was out of control) and instead gave it to her children because "no hay comida en la casa para mi hijo."

Are you going to tell me that the dental and medical missions are not useful? I don't think so! The number of people who receive care they could not otherwise obtain and the funds paid to Dominicans who work as translators or in other capacities during the clinic make a difference.

I have no problems whatsoever with missions that are conducted within Salud Publica. I do not know what percentage of them are. I know that the evangelicals that I met at church one Sunday, driving a Hilux, were flying medicines around the county. That is what they do in Haiti where it is needed. I do not think it is appropriate here.

The chiropractors that I travelled with were not with Salud Publica in any way. They were with Leonel. They had dinner with him.

I suspect that these dentists who came in with the politician are more like the chiropractors and evangelicals ...

when friends of mine went down on medical mission to haiti. they worked pretty much 24-7

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
As to medical doctors, I coordinated a different group (last February) of ob-gyns who performed free surgery on poor patients in Puerto Plata at the public hospital there. Those patients were not required to pay for medicines or sutures, or blood - unlike the usual public health patient - so the extremely poor who could not pay even the small amounts charged by public health were served.[quote

how did you verify that they were extremely poor? Did you take only the ones on the Solidaridad program?

so you come in and give away for free to the poor what the middle class must pay for?

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
As to medical doctors, I coordinated a different group (last February) of ob-gyns who performed free surgery on poor patients in Puerto Plata at the public hospital there. Those patients were not required to pay for medicines or sutures, or blood - unlike the usual public health patient - so the extremely poor who could not pay even the small amounts charged by public health were served.[quote

how did you verify that they were extremely poor? Did you take only the ones on the Solidaridad program?

so you come in and give away for free to the poor what the middle class must pay for?

No Dominican who can afford a private clinic would go to a Public Hospital.

Those who were treated at the public hospital were patients there because they had no other option. That mission also was carried out with the permission and cooperation of Public Health.

We did not choose the patients, Salud P?blica did. As I mentioned in my earlier posting, one of those patients worked with me later on dental clinics, and she was so poor that she chose to starve herself in order to provide food for her child. I would think that that illustrates the level of poverty!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
I don't care if they are poor, rich, or in the middle, I'm just glad they got medical care!
I worked at a hospital in SD for 10 years.
We had teams of doctors from the USA here all the time.
The patients were selected long before they arrived.
They not only provide surgical expertise not available here, but teach Dominican doctors at the same time.
There is absolutely no "Down Side" to these medical visits.
Anyone who says there is is just "Nit Picking"!
As a Mason, and a "Shriner" I am well aware of the treatment gicen here in the DR, and around the world by "Shriners Hospitals".
When I was in Boston, I sometimes picked up Dominican children, and their parents, at Logan airport, to take them to Boston Shriner's Burn Hospital, or Springfield Shriner's ortho hospital. All travel,living, and hospital services provided at no cost to them.
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC
If you find any fault with that, you are one of the people who will be upset on "Resurection Day" because the cemetaries are a mess!

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I don't care if they are poor, rich, or in the middle, I'm just glad they got medical care!
They not only provide surgical expertise not available here, but teach Dominican doctors at the same time.
As a Mason, and a "Shriner" I am well aware of the treatment gicen here in the DR, and around the world by "Shriners Hospitals".
When I was in Boston, I sometimes picked up Dominican children, and their parents, at Logan airport, to take them to Boston Shriner's Burn Hospital, or Springfield Shriner's ortho hospital. All travel,living, and hospital services provided at no cost to them.
If you find any fault with that, you are one of the people who will be upset on "Resurection Day" because the cemetaries are a mess!

i have less than zero knowledge regarding the intricate details of these medical visitors, but i fail to see how qualified medical personnel, doing pro bono work in an impoverished country can be anything but positive. unless, of course, they are using it as a cover for something nefarious, like money laundering.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
i have less than zero knowledge regarding the intricate details of these medical visitors, but i fail to see how qualified medical personnel, doing pro bono work in an impoverished country can be anything but positive. unless, of course, they are using it as a cover for something nefarious, like money laundering.

Or Bible learning

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
MA, few things: all such visits are coordinated with salud publica and local ayutamiento. even dominicans who organize dominican only events, with dominican doctors and dominican medicine require various permits to do it.

as far as who is served... in many cases it's just about anyone who comes into the door. no one checks how poor or how rich. what is needed to understand here is dominican mentality: middle class folks would never show at such events, they'd be too embarrassed. the appearances are very important here. beggars, on the other hand cannot be choosers, they take whatever comes. so poorer communities embrace this opportunity to receive medical help.

one last note: dominican doctors also do charity work. they participate in club rotario events on weekly basis. they also offer other means of help: a tia of miesposo, who is a renowned plastic surgeon has operated for free in cases of severe disfigurement. and she is not the only one...

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
MA, few things: all such visits are coordinated with salud publica and local ayutamiento. even dominicans who organize dominican only events, with dominican doctors and dominican medicine require various permits to do it.

as far as who is served... in many cases it's just about anyone who comes into the door. no one checks how poor or how rich. what is needed to understand here is dominican mentality: middle class folks would never show at such events, they'd be too embarrassed. the appearances are very important here. beggars, on the other hand cannot be choosers, they take whatever comes. so poorer communities embrace this opportunity to receive medical help.

one last note: dominican doctors also do charity work. they participate in club rotario events on weekly basis. they also offer other means of help: a tia of miesposo, who is a renowned plastic surgeon has operated for free in cases of severe disfigurement. and she is not the only one...

Ok. I am more knowledgable about Haiti where all these things are improptu and where the arrival of the freebies from abroad after the earthquake actually collapsed the remnants of the public health sector.

The local church brings in free medical.

I am sure that Salud P?blica is grateful for the help.

And the foreigners all return home with a sense of having helped. And with the impression that the Dominican Republic is a squalid and dirty place which cannot take care of its poor.

Here is one project that was just posted.. PREVENTIVE HEALTH AND DEVELOPMENT SERVICES IN HISPANOLA ? FUDOPROSA

now they are coming to prevent AIDS from coming into Canada from here.

The AIDS rate has gone down tremendously .. it is just that there is more money for AIDS in the public purses than for anything else.

I guess it is just a branding thing. Either the DR wants to become a premier tourist destinaition or.. well.. Haiti. It is either Nicaragua or St Barts. they do not seem to be able to make up their minds.

Perhaps I am a bit more caustic about it since I see the uber rich at play here with their kids in their SUVs. One would think that they would be ashamed of such conspicous consumption of wealth in a nation smaller than NYC which cannot take care of its own people and needs to import doctors like Africa. As if they did not have any medical training facilities or competentence.

This country could export doctors the way Cuba does. They are certainly extremely well qualified.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003

I know that the Masons give very good service here with specific high tech surgery for leg injuries.I volnteered here for one mission and sang with the kids. That sort of mission work is AMAZING and I have no quarrel whatsoever with it.

Nor with the thousands of doctors who came down to help with Haiti.. with all the surgeries that were needed.

It is absolutely wonderful that people whose lives are so busy .. which all physicians are... will spend their vacation time helping.

Those are not the sort of thing that I am talking about.

This is more a political thing. like the chiropractors i came down with.. Who were not involved with salud publica or teaching anything to anyone about chiropractic.. but just being taken around to various places .. schools.. to adjust spines.

They also were brought in through the politicos.. were feted by the President.

It seemed very odd to show off the squalor of the country to a group of foreigners with a treatment that might only last a week or so.....the laying on of hands..And I have used chiropractic all my life, prefer it to allopathic medicine if I can get it.

Maybe it was just because they were chiropractors that they were outside Salud Publica here.

And I am sure that there is none of the sort of thing here that we see in Haiti where after the MD visit but before the treatment, the patient must listen to the Gospel

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
If a kid benefits from a "Medical mission" to the DR, why would anyone give a $HIT what the missionaries think about the DR when they get home???
Maybe they will contribute MORE of their time and money after seeing the great need here!
Annie" you are beating a "Dead Horse"!
Stop looking for excuses to down play the benefits of the "Good Samaritans"!
"It's ALL GOOD!"
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
Well in Haiti it has not been all good. In fact, it has completely subverted the public health system.

And it seems to me that in a nation of 10 million where the top ten owns,,, well.. 40% of the wealth, would you say?

They could drop down in the car size and take care of their own poor

So that our MDs could volunteer in Detroit.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"Haiti", and "Health System", now there's two things that don't go together!
Stop blaming everyone but the "POOR" for their problems.
Did you ever think that maybe they bear some responsibility for their condition???
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

arturo

Bronze
Mar 14, 2002
I can't help thinking there might be a bit more to the story. This sort of thing doesn't tend to happen to people who have experience in the country. It more typically happens to infrequent or first time visitors. On the other hand, it appears at least one of them was carrying rather valuable electronics, and the group likely stood out. I would like to think they were not set up but that might be na?ve.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I can't help thinking there might be a bit more to the story. This sort of thing doesn't tend to happen to people who have experience in the country. It more typically happens to infrequent or first time visitors. On the other hand, it appears at least one of them was carrying rather valuable electronics, and the group likely stood out. I would like to think they were not set up but that might be na?ve.

well, arturo, if they were familiar with the country, then they must know that carrying around valuables like you would be doing in Moab, Utah, is not a very bright thing to do. i am sure they must have been cautioned against such indiscretion in the past. that is why i am inclined to believe that someone set them up. maybe they were walking in groups because of the old bromide about safety in numbers, and someone called ahead to the thugs to give them their location.