American Girl moving to DR soon

andrea22

Apr 15, 2005
Lived in Puerto Plata

As a Transfer Rep you meet with the incoming tourists at the airport and accompany them on their bus to their resort, and then from the resort back to the airport on the day of their departure. You give them basic information about the country, their resort, etc. As a Destination Rep, you meet with the tourists on the day they arrive and give them a briefing on things they need to know about the country, their resort, their departure, duty free allowance and you also sell excursions (day trips such as catamaran, jeep safari, city tours, etc.). There are other aspects to both jobs as well but that's the brief description.

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
This is certainly an option. But remember this is more possible in the peakseason, during the summer months it is very calm, things start moving again in October.
Companies like Mar y Sol and Coco Tours for example, also require cedula or workpermit now for people they hire with monthly salary.
For commission based work were it is no fixed salary at all, this is not required though.
Also they, as others, are more certain to follow the law now and not hireing more than 20 % of foreigners in the company.

cshine73

Sep 29, 2005
Confused

I know this is not my thread.. but.. a couple quick questions to you..

#1.. I'm an IT/IS proffessonal.. (computers / networks/ internet/ hardware and software etc etc) Would it be easy for me to find work there? Do I need some sort of work visa? I'm 32 yr old single male employed from Ontario Canada..

#2.. you said "when poverty comes in the door, happiness goes out the window" are you suggesting that everyone in DR lives in poverty. and no one in DR is happy??

I'm confused...

Thanks
Chad
cshine73@hotmail.com

Hillbilly said:
It so happens that everything he has said is right on the money.

I have lived here for over 42 years and when I decided to stay here, I had a place to sleep, a fine education , an extended family to look after me just in case, a wonderful girlfriend that I was going to marry, (Amd did!)

Plus, I had two years of experience here and knew literally everyone from the President on down....

Sure, other people have come here with a nestegg and managed to live and do okay. I'll give them that.

But just because you are pi$$ed off at Uncle Sam is no reason to pick up and leave.

Have you considered the fact that there is little or no work here for you.? What did you learn in your 8 years in the Army that you can market here? That might be the key...Know that you have to live here for 18 months to qualify for your residence visa and a work permit. Know that salaries here are way below the poverty level in the states and the cost of living can be as high as the States.
The cost of educating your child-modestly, that is- will run over US$2000 a year for tuition alone. I paid close to $50 dollars for one of my grandson's text books and he is in the first grade!!

Take that deep breath, do the research and then come back with a better perspective on this move.

It is not that we don't want you here, it is that we want you to be happy here, and like my dear father in law once said, when poverty comes in the door, happiness goes out the window.

Take care,

HB :(:(

Ricardo900

Silver
Jul 12, 2004
cshine73 said:
I know this is not my thread.. but.. a couple quick questions to you..

#1.. I'm an IT/IS proffessonal.. (computers / networks/ internet/ hardware and software etc etc) Would it be easy for me to find work there? Do I need some sort of work visa? I'm 32 yr old single male employed from Ontario Canada..

#2.. you said "when poverty comes in the door, happiness goes out the window" are you suggesting that everyone in DR lives in poverty. and no one in DR is happy??

I'm confused...

Thanks
Chad
cshine73@hotmail.com
What is the asking salary, for an IT/IS proffessonal :laugh: :laugh:

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
depends

Ricardo900 said:
What is the asking salary, for an IT/IS proffessonal :laugh: :laugh:

Someplace around 18000rd up or 600us a month depends on the company and who they are doing business for, but can be higher depending on experience, and what you really do.