American Locked Up In CCR-17

Joseph NY2STI

Mar 22, 2020
I did not harm her. She has signed documents stating that she was violent, started the incident, harmed herself, and was extorted by the prosecutor. She has a personality disorder and harmed herself, and I've been blamed for her own self inflictions. There is a photo of her injury that she caused to her own person; the prosecutor said if she did not go against me he would put her in jail.
It is very generous and humane of your jailers to provide you with internet access so that you may keep us updated. Please express our gratitude to them. There is still a question pending in post #7.

Therealmichaeluribe

Jul 17, 2021
Santo Domingo
Well he hasn't been tried as yet, all that has happened is that he has been locked up to stop him leaving the country until his trial takes place. So the question of what he did or didn't do has yet to see the light of day.

Given how the judges are all new, and the new government is obsessed with American tourists, I think it would be very strange to lock up a US national who had done nothing. So I suspect that he did hit her, the police were involved, and there may be evidence in the form of photos, witness statements (maybe the neighbors heard something?) and so on. If, as he says, the only evidence that they have is her statement which she has now withdrawn, it's likely that he will be free in a few weeks when the case comes to trial. But if they have more, then he is going to need a lawyer who is part of the mob to fix this one - a family lawyer won't be able to undo this unless he's got the right name and the right reputation.
The prosecutor also did not bear the truth that came from her; she also mentioned this at the tribunal a-quo the day before the hearing. It is not a situation of her vs me, I hope you an see beyond that speculation. I appreciate your commentary. This wouldn't have even come this far if we were in an actual updated court system within the states.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011

He also says he has been sentenced to 3 months which i guess is preventiva and this is because he is regarded as a flight risk. He hasn't had his trial yet so he is just being held pending the trial. As he is a US national this is a reasonable position for the Judge to take and i think it would be hard to overturn their decision on this one.

My advice would be to spend money on a proper top flight lawyer. In another thread i recommended Jose Hoepelman who is a very well known defence lawyer and would be worth talking to. He definitely needs someone who is very well connected in Dominican society as who they know will have a big influence on results.

I think the emphasis should not be on trying to get bail during the remainder of the 3 months but on trying to make sure he isn't convicted at trial. A conviction would result in a long sentence of several years.

As a woman i have to say it is refreshing to hear that allegations of violence against women is taken so seriously. We can only hope that the trial is fair and that justice is done.
Yeah, he hasn't been sentenced, That was just an arraignment hearing. I feel the same way about domestic violence cases being taken more seriously. For example, a friend whose ex husband was abusive went through an ordeal trying to get the authorities to listen. She said there was even a police officer who'd be like "you again?", like if it was comical for him.

What is unfortunate is that some women are using it the wrong way.

Aguaita29

Silver
Jul 27, 2011
Well he hasn't been tried as yet, all that has happened is that he has been locked up to stop him leaving the country until his trial takes place. So the question of what he did or didn't do has yet to see the light of day.

Given how the judges are all new, and the new government is obsessed with American tourists, I think it would be very strange to lock up a US national who had done nothing. So I suspect that he did hit her, the police were involved, and there may be evidence in the form of photos, witness statements (maybe the neighbors heard something?) and so on. If, as he says, the only evidence that they have is her statement which she has now withdrawn, it's likely that he will be free in a few weeks when the case comes to trial. But if they have more, then he is going to need a lawyer who is part of the mob to fix this one - a family lawyer won't be able to undo this unless he's got the right name and the right reputation.
These judges are not new. Plus, in the courts they don't really care about tourism. It's even worse if you're a tourist as you could easy flee not to ever bee seen again. He's at flight risk, so locking him up makes sense. And yeah, there must also be some evidence that she was hurt.

Reactions: Kipling333

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Thank you for reading this:

Greetings, this is my first post to this platform as I am a new member, and with this in mind, my intention in posting is to gain perspective from those more versed in the country's operations/systems more than I:

Story / Why Am I Here

I had a small incident with my girlfriend of a few months here. She is native Dominican but has spent much time in the states. I am american, but my father is Dominican. I speak Spanish, however, not fluently.

My girl and I had a domestic violence incident that her friends who were jealous of us manipulated her into filing a claim against me, which was false.

Needless to say, after realizing the consequences of said actions, she went to drop the charges, but the prosector and judged still sentenced me. I am currently serving 3 months preventivo here at Narayo CCR-17.

Do you have a lawyer?

I have a trusted family lawyer who has been working on my behalf. He has prepared a defense appeal, which includes documents of the girl admitting to her faults, acknowledging she was threatened and extorted by the prosecutor to testify against me or she would face jail time, etc. My family also has a property were putting up as a collateral guarantee in defense of me not prematurely fleeing the country. We have documents signed and stating from the girl I have posed no act on her and that she is not threatened by me in any sense, etc.

Currently we are waiting on a court date for my appeal. It's been 2 weeks. I was told I should've been provided one in 48 hours but it was unlikely due to the system here delaying things cause of "the pandemic," and now I can wait up to 6 weeks. I'm currently at 2/6 weeks, from what I was told.

My Initial Judgement

The original judge ruled against me and sentenced me to three months based on the premise he couldn't guarantee I would stay in the country although we offered my passport; in my appeal to circumvent this we are now offering a property guarantee as well. The girl has clearly stated I did not commit any act against her, but yet I have still been ruled against.

In Conclusion

I created this post not for pity or as an act of desperation, but to gather perspective from those that might've been in a similar situation, or know of someone who has, or has come across an experience as such in some type of capacity.

I am looking for more understanding with the court system and their process of providing me my appeal date if anyone has any clarity on such.

I am also open to any positive feedback or commentary that can support or benefit me in my current experience via this forum or WhatsApp.

Thank you,

Mike
...one of the reasons I am (and stay) single.....

Sailor51

Happy to still be here
Oct 30, 2018
3 months preventia? You'll most likely get out with time served. Think about the money you'll save, not to mention all the tips about crime.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
Yes Dominican girl friends are just like busses... come back here wait about 15 minutes, another one will come along......

You do seem to have a very specific view of the 7.5M women in DR. There are plenty of women who are not chicas and not out to get as much money out of tourists as they can. Many of those reading this are married to Dominican women who are honest and decent.

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
The prosecutor also did not bear the truth that came from her; she also mentioned this at the tribunal a-quo the day before the hearing. It is not a situation of her vs me, I hope you an see beyond that speculation. I appreciate your commentary. This wouldn't have even come this far if we were in an actual updated court system within the states.

I just want to be clear what you are saying has happened. At the initial stage when the police got involved your girlfriend alleged that the injuries were inflicted by you. Then you say that she made a statement to say she has a personality disorder and these injuries were inflicted on herself. But the Judge said that she either had to testify against you, or he would throw her in prison. She now believes she is on your side and you are both up against the Judge, who has a vendetta against you. Is that a fair summary?

And if it is, why do you think the Judge is refusing to believe her? Is it that he thinks your girlfriend has been coerced into alleging that she has the mental health problems to cover up for the fact that you did this? Or why?

And finally, you say you have a lawyer who you trust. So what are you looking for from this forum? A second opinion?

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
These judges are not new. Plus, in the courts they don't really care about tourism. It's even worse if you're a tourist as you could easy flee not to ever bee seen again. He's at flight risk, so locking him up makes sense. And yeah, there must also be some evidence that she was hurt.

Honestly, I have heard many times and from many people that the police don't think twice about locking up a Dominican, but they think many many times about locking up a foreigner (excepting Haitians and Venezuelans). Way more complicated, embassies involved, sometimes politicians or powerful families. Too much grief.

Therealmichaeluribe

Jul 17, 2021
Santo Domingo
I just want to be clear what you are saying has happened. At the initial stage when the police got involved your girlfriend alleged that the injuries were inflicted by you. Then you say that she made a statement to say she has a personality disorder and these injuries were inflicted on herself. But the Judge said that she either had to testify against you, or he would throw her in prison. She now believes she is on your side and you are both up against the Judge, who has a vendetta against you. Is that a fair summary?

And if it is, why do you think the Judge is refusing to believe her? Is it that he thinks your girlfriend has been coerced into alleging that she has the mental health problems to cover up for the fact that you did this? Or why?

And finally, you say you have a lawyer who you trust. So what are you looking for from this forum? A second opinion?
Refusing to believe Because the judge and this system is corrupt and they just want to make money off me because I can't help where I was born

• Sad
Reactions: Sailor51

MariaRubia

Jun 25, 2019
OK so in summary, your case is that you never hurt your girlfriend. What happened is that she has a personality disorder, she inflicted wounds on herself, her friends persuaded her to report you to the police and you were arrested. And then she withdrew the charges but the Judge insists on the trial continuing as he wants you to pay him.

In Post #1, you said "I had a small incident with my girlfriend of a few months here". And in post #20 you say "I did not harm her". The key to this is whether or not you did actually hit her, and what evidence there is that you did hit her. Forget everything else, this is what your case hinges on.

Please be clear about exactly what did or didn't happen. Some of us are genuinely trying to help you.

Therealmichaeluribe

Jul 17, 2021
Santo Domingo
OK so in summary, your case is that you never hurt your girlfriend. What happened is that she has a personality disorder, she inflicted wounds on herself, her friends persuaded her to report you to the police and you were arrested. And then she withdrew the charges but the Judge insists on the trial continuing as he wants you to pay him.

In Post #1, you said "I had a small incident with my girlfriend of a few months here". And in post #20 you say "I did not harm her". The key to this is whether or not you did actually hit her, and what evidence there is that you did hit her. Forget everything else, this is what your case hinges on.

Please be clear about exactly what did or didn't happen. Some of us are genuinely trying to help you.
Thanks for your candor. Feel free to direct message me. In my appeal letter, my girlfriend clearly states what she said during her recorded interrogation was not held up as truth or credible during the initial arraignment hearing. She says she was violent, she created an outburst, that she doesn't want me in prison, that I do not pose any threat to her, etc... That I've been a victim to the ministry and system here because of the mistakes made from the judicial system.

I did not harm her at all. I would never. I've served in the military and have two sisters that look up to me. I'm a person of honor, just found myself in a messy situation unfortunately. I'm not trying to cover up anything, and I know what I'm saying is probably the anomaly to the truth of many of these cases, so I can understand your specificity/skepticism.

When I said "I had a small accident" I used that as a general term/reference to connotate that there was a discrepancy between us. She misinterpreted a message on my phone and took it in the form of a jealous rage (the thought and fear of a past experience she suffered from happening again).

The evidence is a picture of her bruise, no blood or anything, that was caused by her own person, but the prosecutor has twisted the narrative to his own agenda. Nothing else, no neighbor complaints, no one else was there, just us. As she was breaking belongings in my apartment she fell in the outburst of her emotions, to which she's mentioned and has sworn under oath. I did not hit her, and this is what the prosecutor is misrepresenting, which has lead me to where I am.