American Pork?

shadInToronto

On Vacation....
Nov 16, 2003
... Meat shops here don't hang their meat to age it
That's right, but aged meat is the first stage of rotting meat. Granted it's done in a controlled environment (humidity, temperature, and hygienic), the process nonetheless involves enzymes breaking down muscles and connective tissues while the meat sits. :paranoid:

monfongo

Bronze
Feb 10, 2005
it would take more then ageing to make dominican beef a better product,it is an inferior breed, they would like to upgrade it but that will take many yrs.

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Monfongo:

The King Ranch, in Texas, crossbread the Brahama(for it's ability to survive in the harsh, dry, Texas rangeland around Falfurias, Kingsville Guolf Coast area) and the Shorthorn for it's meatyness. They were finally able to register these cattle as 'pure Bred" after many generations of in breeding and elimination of the throwbacks to the Brahama.
this breed is known as the Santa Gertrudas; it is well suited for marginal rangelands and can be fattened up for commercial sale in just one month after being taken off the range. It is an extremely hardy breed andthemeat is very sweet and tender when taken from the feedlot.
Dominicans hae had some 400 years of cattle breeding and have yet to come up with a beast that is marketable by US standards.
Are their standards just too low, or are the breeders just to damned cheap to intorduce a breed for crossing in order to produce a better product? from what I see, the latter is the answer. They're satisfied with what they have and aren't interested in producing anything better. "What was good enoughfor my grandad is good enough for everyone" type attitude permiates the Dominican Agriculture society aandyou can see this in all their farm products.
Lettuce comes to the Colmado already infected with rust, thetomatoes are half green or completely so, the celery is still in an immature stage, as are the potatos, melons, peaches and other local fruits and veggies.
We both know what this is the result of. The farmer wants to get his produce to the market before theprices go down andkill his very narrow margin of profit andI can't blame him for that. The people I blame are themiddle-men who don't offer the farmer a sufficiently high price for him to stay in business. We have a small farrowing house on my father-in-law's land. So far we've gone through 5 litters of damn nice looking pigs at market time. the most we've ever been offered is 25 pesos/lb. That barely met the expenses, so I've decided to forego any further breeding andselling. Now, I'll raise for my own and family consumption. At least that'll give them and us some protien on the table. Newxt step is to put a smokehouse in place for preserving the meat without the injected flavoring being used by the industry. there is a commercially available outhouse that will make an excellent smokehouse and there is plenty of mesquite wood for smoking.

Who knows, maybe I'll even open a BBQ Stand here in Santiago. Introduce another strange new food product. BBQ Texas Style. Pork, Beef, Chicken and Goat, served with potato salad, frenchfries and dill pickles/dulcito peppers.

Will probably go broke the first month.

Texas Bill

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
Let me know when you open

Monfongo:

The King Ranch, in Texas, crossbread the Brahama(for it's ability to survive in the harsh, dry, Texas rangeland around Falfurias, Kingsville Guolf Coast area) and the Shorthorn for it's meatyness. They were finally able to register these cattle as 'pure Bred" after many generations of in breeding and elimination of the throwbacks to the Brahama.
this breed is known as the Santa Gertrudas; it is well suited for marginal rangelands and can be fattened up for commercial sale in just one month after being taken off the range. It is an extremely hardy breed andthemeat is very sweet and tender when taken from the feedlot.
Dominicans hae had some 400 years of cattle breeding and have yet to come up with a beast that is marketable by US standards.
Are their standards just too low, or are the breeders just to damned cheap to intorduce a breed for crossing in order to produce a better product? from what I see, the latter is the answer. They're satisfied with what they have and aren't interested in producing anything better. "What was good enoughfor my grandad is good enough for everyone" type attitude permiates the Dominican Agriculture society aandyou can see this in all their farm products.
Lettuce comes to the Colmado already infected with rust, thetomatoes are half green or completely so, the celery is still in an immature stage, as are the potatos, melons, peaches and other local fruits and veggies.
We both know what this is the result of. The farmer wants to get his produce to the market before theprices go down andkill his very narrow margin of profit andI can't blame him for that. The people I blame are themiddle-men who don't offer the farmer a sufficiently high price for him to stay in business. We have a small farrowing house on my father-in-law's land. So far we've gone through 5 litters of damn nice looking pigs at market time. the most we've ever been offered is 25 pesos/lb. That barely met the expenses, so I've decided to forego any further breeding andselling. Now, I'll raise for my own and family consumption. At least that'll give them and us some protien on the table. Newxt step is to put a smokehouse in place for preserving the meat without the injected flavoring being used by the industry. there is a commercially available outhouse that will make an excellent smokehouse and there is plenty of mesquite wood for smoking.

Who knows, maybe I'll even open a BBQ Stand here in Santiago. Introduce another strange new food product. BBQ Texas Style. Pork, Beef, Chicken and Goat, served with potato salad, frenchfries and dill pickles/dulcito peppers.

Will probably go broke the first month.

Texas Bill

This is worth a trip from Santo Domino to Santiago. We talking pit BBQ?

Liked the intro on the Santa Gertrudas they are excellent beef animal. Have a few in Kansas, but mainly still Herford, Angus, dont have the same heat problems, would not do well down here. But the Santa Gertrudas would do fine.

globalmike295

On Vacation
Jul 11, 2006
If you have a real Texas bbq and the Cowboys are playing on your NFL sunday ticket package you can buy from yahoo.

You will not go broke my friend.

Where's da Beef

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
Meat in Santo Domingo

I did some technical consulting for the biggest beef and pork meat producer in the DR. The anti-bacterial and growth hormone regimens are the same as anywhere else. This type of business is run on a par with similar high volume, high growth industries in other countries with unbelievable numbers of meat producing animals crowded into small 'growth camps'. I could never understand why expats in the DR somehow clung to the belief that meat in the DR is magically more free of hormones or drugs somehow. The slaughtering process, even in a so-called 'modern' facility, is primitive with hygiene standards sadly lacking. (Lucky I grew up on a meat farm .. my fellow consultant turned green and I had to rescue her to the outside before she fainted)

mountainannie, if you are sensitive to these things (and I sure am!) get your meat from the campo. The only things that you have to battle then, is that the beef/pork/chicken may not be disease free. Better yet, go into a co-operative agreement with a local farmer and raise your own.

I need to add something ... animal food is mostly imported. The difference in the quality of meat is that animals receive less of 'force-feeding', and they remain on grass (yerba or hierba) for a longer period of time than say in the US.

So is there anyway to get "good" meat in Santo Domingo?

Texas Bill

Silver
Feb 11, 2003
www.texasbill.com
Don't know if they're still there ---BUT TRY---

Annie try

Omaha Steaks in Santo Domingo.

Last phone # I had on them was---732-1768
Placia Paseo, Apart 54c103 (????)
Daisyvigil@hotmail.com

That's what I have in my address book and it's 3 years old.

The prices quoted were Very Expensive, but with DR-CAFTA, they may have dropped a little.

Texas Bill

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I did some technical consulting for the biggest beef and pork meat producer in the DR.
What company, and how can they be contacted?

Who is the largest commercial pollo producer?

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
You must be kidding? Tell me you're kidding! These are customers buddy. We sign restraint and confidentiality agreements. I'm not about to blast their details all over the internet.
You have a PM.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
You must be kidding? Tell me you're kidding! These are customers buddy. We sign restraint and confidentiality agreements. I'm not about to blast their details all over the internet.

I won't tell if you won't!
543oxe9.jpg

tambo'