AMET director says ?parking agents? are illegal

Apr 13, 2011
I have never paid a "parking guy" before or in advance. They give me a nod or a look suggesting that they will watch the car - I give them a nod back basically saying ok - many will put cardboard over the windshield to help block the sun from heating up the car - after getting back, they see me and come over to the car - I typically give them 30-40 pesos depending on how long I was there (or how much change I have), but an amount was never discussed beforehand - they say gracias - and I go my way. No one has even asked for money in advance - But I have only experienced this in SD - so the other cities/towns may be different.
Though - I will say that this also happened with a PN guy who was working a certain block. He was "watching" cars for people for a propina when you left. I did the same thing - gave him about 30-40 pesos (whatever I had as loose change) and he was happy. So it is not just the "out of work" doing the parking protection "routine".

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
No one in their right mind on the DR pays upfront for anything-well, maybe one thing but that's the only one.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Thankfully I have never experienced any of that. One thing is sure I wouldnt be back in a hurry if I had to pay for that.....

The rare times I go to SD, I leave my car before the big carrefour in a petrol station, walk up to the guard, say hi primo, keep an eye on my car for a couple of hours could you?? He always says no garantee, I answer "ta bien". When I come back I give him a 100 pesos( and had a beer with him once).

But self improvised parking attendents is a big no no. Thankfuly in santiago I go to national or la sirena, leave the car there and if I have other stuff to do, carro publico.
Pop I leave my car at SIL and then motoconcho.
Seaside, I only go to out of the way beaches and park my car 10 m from where I m setting up!!!!!
In campo stop on side of road anywhere u want.........

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Next day after AMET director said that, a guy in Zona Colonial asked me for some pesos after I came back to my truck. I said that I can't give him any money but instead of that I can break his arms and his legs with the pipe wrench. He disappeared. So it looks like the pipe wrench works better than any laws :).

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Yesterday i got arrest by an amet and he give me a ticket for not having my belt!!!

I didnt even know they had a law for seat belt in DR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Apr 13, 2011
Yesterday i got arrest by an amet and he give me a ticket for not having my belt!!!

I didnt even know they had a law for seat belt in DR!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry you got a ticket.
There is a seatbelt law. You reminded of one time driving around with a local dominicano in his beat up car, just to go to the hardware store - his seatbelts did not even work, but he made sure that we both threw the straps over our shoulders so that we technically had the seatbelts on.
He also used his cell phone while driving, but every time he saw someone that looked like policia, he would drop his phone onto the seat so they did not see him talking. So - there must be a law about talking on the cell phone while driving also. (I am guessing that using something that is hands-free would be ok.)

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
I was so happy to finally get a ticket !!!

Only 1200 pesos, ship it baby, long love to DR!!!!

Also i love that they seem to finally apply the law a little bit!

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
That ticket would have probably cost me 5x or 6x more in Canada.

How can you not be happy??? Its like going at the store and getting something 70% off!!!

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Did they hold your car until you got the ticket paid?

They did to me once, and walking from their lot about 4:30 PM an idiot approached me and suggested that I give him the money to pay the fine and he'd get it paid and be back in half an hour and I could get my car out. I just laughed in his face The bank where the fine has to be paid was already closed for the day anyway. No big deal. I paid it the next day and was free to go.
Der Fish

No, i dont even know where to pay it !!!

I also got another ticket for nothing having my paper's insurancE( i haveinsurance, couldnt find the good paper) He never asked me once for money, just told me what i was doing wrong and gave me the tickets, felt like a cop Pulling me over in a "real" country, but then again 6x cheaper!!!!!!

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Traffic Laws have nothing to do with safety, they are just used to augment the policemen's wages.
"NEVER make Eye Contact"!
"NEVER STOP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

jeanchris

Bronze
Feb 27, 2012
Traffic Laws have nothing to do with safety, they are just used to augment the policemen's wages.
"NEVER make Eye Contact"!
"NEVER STOP"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

Had too, one way street in piantini and they were blocking me, either i kill him and run or i stop!!!

Also dont mind stopping when they are amet, when its PN i never stop !