AMEX credit card fraud Santo Domingo

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
So he can buy tickets and hotels on the internet. The CCV numbers on the back of your card are verification numbers. When you buy things online like airline tickets, you need to give them the numbers on the back of the card. it verify's the credit card.

Could be he was a crook... but

If someone manually enters a purchase into a credit card machine, they have to have the "v-code" to enter when the machine asks. That's done when card isn't present or if strip is damaged. Just saying.....

AE

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
Using ANY "CC" In The DR Is An Invitation To Be "Cloned"!

I once bought $100.00 of gasoline on my "BanReservas" CC outside Chicago Il .Problem? I was in Santo Domingo at the Time! Banreservas called me immediately,canceled the card,returned the money,and brought me a new card,at my home the next day!
I took $150.00 out of my Boston bank's debit card account at an ATM in NYC. Problem? I was in SD at the time!
Took weeks to get the money back,notarized paperwork,they talked to me like I was at fault,mailed me a new card,after 14 days,and charged ME,$10.00 for a new card!
The ONLY place I ever used that card was here in SD.
CRISSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSc

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Unsafe Plastic

Plastic money is not safe - nowhere.
When I called my US bank in order to activate the new card which had been sent to me they asked whether I had used the card already.... as two charges had been made in Columbia.... :devious:
So obviously the card was intercepted and used fraudulently on the way to my Miami address.
They did not have the CCV number and yet it worked for them somehow.

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Plastic money is not safe - nowhere.
When I called my US bank in order to activate the new card which had been sent to me they asked whether I had used the card already.... as two charges had been made in Columbia.... :devious:
So obviously the card was intercepted and used fraudulently on the way to my Miami address.
They did not have the CCV number and yet it worked for them somehow.

donP

That is an unbelievable story..... but I believe you....... incredible.

The CC company should have launched an internal investigation on that one !!!

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Card Criminals

That is an unbelievable story..... but I believe you....... incredible.
The CC company should have launched an internal investigation on that one !!!
I just looked it up again.
Actually two fraud charges were made in Brasil (not Columbia) by a national airline in S?o Paulo.
Total amount was 938 US$.
I had to fill in some form (written statement of unauthorized use) and was reimbursed all the money. I have never heard of the outcome of the investigations (if there were any).
Although no loss on my side, those criminals ought to get caught. :devious:
We all pay for their frauds with our fees. :(

donP

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Once, my card was cpmpromised in RD.... airport car rental.

Two ticket to Argentina and two luxury rooms in BA.... big total.... thousands.$$$$

No problem w/ Amex.... full pay... but getting the new card is a pain.

As I said earlier... try Chase, their fraud protection is great.

I speak to them all the time b/c i do everything on that card... heating oil, newspapers, the works... in both Canada and USA.
They are finally used to my pattern of cross-border living.

I never use that card in RD... too confusing for Chase and I cannot risk being compromised

Separate card for Internet purchases

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Dominican Republic ABA's new technology to thwart fraud, protect customers.
logoABA.gif

Santo Domingo. - The Dominican Republic’s Commercial Banks Association (ABA) announced Tuesday the future implementation of a new card system to thwart electronic fraud and protect the integrity of their customers.

The new system goal is so that their customers don't become victims of electronic swindlers and scams which steal money from bank accounts and credit cards.

The ABA said criminals target the most vulnerable points with scams like the cloning of cards, and working together with the local authorities they have tested the new measure from which they obtained notable results.

The first bank to make test runs of the new system to the benefit of their clients was Banco Leon. The system is said to keep card data from being reused by swindlers as the codes needed to authorize any charges would be changing as each new transaction is made, and approved or rejected by the ABA new dynamic token parameters.

In essence the new system offers the card or account holders the security of using their cards or accessing ATMs, without worrying that their card or account data is recorded for later fraudulent use. As each transaction will demand that a preselected token be answered for each individual transaction, card or account holders will know that their accounts will not fall victim to scams today permeating the sector.

To make the point Jose Rojas from the ABA took out his banking card and made a withdraw from the ATM in the presence of the press covering the act. He made no attempts to hide his personal code or PIN as he performed the transaction for the audience, even asking those present to memorize the code he entered on the keypad. He then asked a volunteer to repeat the process as he handed over his own card, which he originally used on the first transaction.

The volunteer, a cameramen from the local news channel, then proceeded to conduct a withdrawal from the ATM using the same code we all witnessed from the first actions. The ATM's screen flashed a token challenge, which was not what the one in the earlier transaction showed. The use of the memorized code was ineffective in obtaining access to the account as first intended.

Rojas indicated that even when scams might happen to capture all the information on the transactions, even the account's data and cloned the cards, the dynamic token would render the unauthorized attempts as failures. As soon as the ABA system detects a preset number of trials using the same token code in failed scams, the same is then disabled for the life of the account number or card. This will allow banks and clients to retain their account or card numbers for longer periods intact, even for the life of the account.

The new system is to heighten security on electronic transactions and prevent fraud with cards. The ABA has been introducing the use of “tokens”. The new device generates codes, or constantly updated dynamic passwords. “The banks have always been emphatic in that these institutions don’t ask any type of information from customers (personal, user name, password or codes).

http://www.aba.org.do/ABA2/noticiasdet.asp?docid=Eng&369

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
Remenber I told you here in DR1 about this???

The DR is the first and only country using the new dynamic PIN to counter scams on CC and ATMs...

The next system is for the online users! That one is going to allow Dominican banks to offer their own 100% chargeback-proof shopping carts to vendors!

The other news not said is that this new system comes hand in hand with a contract to have all the public employees on direct deposit payrolls and soon to be cashless system for the DR!

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
AHA... !!!

Every time I check my ScotiaBank account these days, they ask me a security question.... where were you born, etc.

This is good.... protection for all accountholders

Thanks Pichardo for an explanation...