An ABM ate my money and ...

twhitehead

Bronze
Nov 1, 2003
I have had the same problem on two separate occasions at the bank machine beside super super in Sosua. Both times machine stated that service temporarly unavailable and spit my card out. Both occasions went home and checked on-line and w/d was processed by my Canadian bank. When this occurs the bank in Canada has to initiate the process of recovering the funds. In my case it took 60 days on both occasion for the money to be placed back in my account. For Canadians living here this can be a big problem since I was told by my bank (royal bank) that this process needs to be started in person at you own branch. Now how is that possible for someone living in the DR? Important to have have Power of Attorney appointed for your banking arrangements back in Canada in case of problems like this. I no longer use the machines down here. I have a Cdn $ and US $ account with Royal bank in Canada. When I need cash I transfer Cdn $ to US$ account and write a US$ cheque at my local cambio for cash in domincan pesos (I only ever transfer US$ since the rate given for Cdn$ is often brutal)...tom

SURFUP69

May 24, 2006
Me again, sorry to get back so late. Make sure you tell your home bank where your going. When you get where your going go into the bank and let then know that you will be staying there for so long and would like to draw money each day from your card. Make sure you bring your passport. They get to know you and the time is fast to get your money with no problems. That way there is no money laying around to be stolen because it's in the the bank. Only money you have is what your taking for that day. And another good thing is that my bank in USA will not charge me anything on my debit card, only what there rate is. So shop for the best bank with the best rate there. Hope I help you, have a nice trip.

Sharlene

Mar 4, 2006
Re: My UK and DR Banks....

I had the same problem with funds being debited from my account in UK when ATM was`temporarily unavailable' - this was in Puerto Plata. I use internet banking so I advised my UK bank, the Nationwide, by private messaging service and they investigated, but recredited the funds to my account immediately pending results of investigation. The investigation actually showed that the funds had been withdrawn and that the DR bank's machine balanced which was very strange, but the UK bank left the credit in my account as a sign of goodwill when I assured them that I hadn't received the funds.

The same thing happened to me at Scotiabank ATM in Sosua twice, but this was using a card for my Banco Santa Cruz peso account. Went into BSC and they were completely unphased and filled in a form which took a few mins and told me the funds would be recredited within 7 days, which they were.

Think it just depends on your bank, in terms of how easy it is to reclaim.

Me_again

Bronze
Nov 21, 2004
JDJones wrote: Most machines I've tried so far average about 3 to 5 seconds. The machine that caused my headache waited less than two seconds to suck it back it

Mine also. Thanks for doing this important research.

Last edited: