an average week in the life of an expat. Essential reading for potential newcomers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 2, 2008
"Sorry you missed the point of the post."

Not a unique circumstance for ABC. If fact he could include it daily, in his weekly list.

MikeFisher

The Fisherman/Weather Mod
Feb 28, 2006
Punta Cana/DR
www.mikefisher.fun
ha ha ha
i love this thread,
a real highlight in the daily news abc ...
Tallman,
your's is def my fav, love that one.
Matilda,
thanks for starting it, even that some may never get your point or mine or any..
AZB,
we're on the Isle,
who the heck comes over here to work out in an american styled gym at the capital city, each his own.
yeap, Ginnie, reading those gym stories i assume the fotos you showed me been from somebody else, lol
he he
David,
hey buddy, come back and bring up your weekly report, too, like your posts a lot man.
happy sunday eve everybody
and the only killings today here on the east from my side been a dozen dorados, a bast.. barracuda and 6 red snappers from the bottom fishing(those i did not kill myself, been my other boat, i just burried one of 'em in my fridge, lol).
peace in paradise
Mike

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
"Sorry you missed the point of the post."

Not a unique circumstance for ABC. If fact he could include it daily, in his weekly list.

Catcher Hey, if your most recent photo (Sosua bay) in the photo gallery is an indication of your average day in Paradise- lucky guy. Excellent colour and composition.

Mar 2, 2008
"Catcher Hey, if your most recent photo (Sosua bay) in the photo gallery is an indication of your average day in Paradise- lucky guy. Excellent colour and composition."

Thank you, Bob. I wish I could take credit for any or all those photos, but alas, they were all taken by various friends.

They are great photos, and if I could I would take some as good. When I take a picture the sky turns gray and the subject moves, even if it's still life.

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Sorry you missed the point of the post. Matilda

It is 2 things I think: a) he doesn't share our sense of humour & b) he isn't a creative thinker - the latter being someone who challenges functional fixedness (a cognitive bias that limits a person to using an object only in the way is traditionally used). Creative thinkers will find a different way round a problem for themselves (not 'get a man to do it'). Non creative thinkers tend to follow repetitious patterns rather than adopt bold new strategies. So the creative thinker will drape themselves in wet towels and stand in a breeze to get cool and the non-creative will turn the A/C on if they have power. Course if they don't have power it might take them a while to work out the principles of evaporation.........;)

Personally I think being a creative thinker is an absolute prerequisite for being an expat here. Anyone agree? Disagree?

jrhartley

Gold
Sep 10, 2008
of course there is a danger people may mistake you for a lunatic if you are too creative lol
plastic-bag-art.jpg

heres some plastic bag art from playero lol

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
creative thinker my a$$. many folks in resort areas are cry babies. Complain and complain even when you try to pass it for humor. Even in your humor, you are complaining and putting this country down. No wonder all the worse things happen to you folks: you get arrested, your chica robs you, poisons you, kills you, then you have expats killing expats, talking out webpages against each other, threatening each other, getting mugged, getting your throat slashed etc etc etc. please fill in the blanks if I missed out anything.
The point is, we live in the city yet we still enjoy the island comforts. We are close to rivers, mountains, beach is 1 hour away and lakes are 25 minutes away. We do not have to deal with slimy con-artist coastal dominicans and we do not have to deal with other expats.
You people live in the coast and still have no idea of this island, even after 18 yrs of living here. The so called experts expats are only experts of their tiny campos (with beach). Some people worship them as if they are the head authority on this island. In reality, except for a few people (example mark from rocky and tflea and a few others), the rest have little knowledge of this island. The moment they step out of their little bubble (puerto plata) they are lost in santiago. can't even speak spanish.
So please lambada and all the rest of the humor laughing barrels, don't try to flock your feathers in front of me. remember, I live here also.
AZB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
Personally I think being a creative thinker is an absolute prerequisite for being an expat here. Anyone agree? Disagree?

Absolutely and a sense of humour is also needed, even if you are visiting for a couple of weeks. I have been to the DR around 15 times over a 10 year periodic with my longest stay just over a month. With 90 % of my time spent outside of resorts, sometimes staying in lower level barrio's I have no doubt about my ability to adapt,( easy if you were raised in the wilds of British Columbia). As long as one remember that it is up to them to adapt to Dominican culture and not the other way around - no problems.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
Oh come on AZB you can join in too. Let me get it started for you.

Monday- went to McDonald and heard this puta talk to her pendejo gringo

Tuesday- did not go to a hooker bar and did not see Frank Reyes or Tony Santos

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002

LOL, now that was funny. Hahahaha
AZB

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com

Absolutely and a sense of humour is also needed, even if you are visiting for a couple of weeks. I have been to the DR around 15 times over a 10 year period with my longest stay just over a month. With 90 % of my time spent outside of resorts, sometimes staying in lower level barrio's I have no doubt about my ability to adapt,( easy if you were raised in the wilds of British Columbia). As long as one remember that it is up to them to adapt to Dominican culture and not the other way around - no problems. Certainly I have the wisdom of my wife to help me through the cultural differences.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Absolutely and a sense of humour is also needed, even if you are visiting for a couple of weeks. I have been to the DR around 15 times over a 10 year period with my longest stay just over a month. With 90 % of my time spent outside of resorts, sometimes staying in lower level barrio's I have no doubt about my ability to adapt,( easy if you were raised in the wilds of British Columbia). As long as one remember that it is up to them to adapt to Dominican culture and not the other way around - no problems. Certainly I have the wisdom of my wife to help me through the cultural differences.

I agree with you bob and I applaud you for being able to easily adapt to any environment. I only have a problem with people who find nothing but problems in this country and do nothing but complain. Write negative reviews of living conditions here as if we all live in some republic of congo. if you choose to live off some dirt road town near the coast then deal with the difficulties that come along with natural beauty that you seek in woods. Just look at the OP's previous threads and posts and you will find nothing but problems and difficulties in living here. Whether she puts it in humorous tone or in serious emergency response, its always a drama.
I live here full time also and certainly I find some problems in daily life but the fix is so simple.
example: i got a bill for water consumption for 7 thousand pesos. Seems like someone left the water faucet open when water was shut off in my area. The stupid maid left the house with left the faucet open. The water was flowing for a whole month upstairs (no one lives there). The bill came to 7 thousand.
I could have cried like matilda and created a drama if I were living in north coast and if I didn't know anyone except for my maid and her motoconcho boyfriend. I could have gone to water company and had gotten the run around.
No, I didn't have to do any of that. I called my friend who is connected with the water company. The people came to my house, checked around and then reduced my bill to 400 pesos. case closed in one day.
Once I got an electric bill for 8 thousand pesos. made a call to a friend in political office, he makes a call to electric company and the bill was reduced to less that 3 thousand in 15 minutes.
watch broke, fixed for 14 dollars, returned with polished steel shine. Office fridge compressor broke down. Guys came, took it away, came back after 2 days, compressor installed with gas injected, total cost 2,500 pesos.
car brakes installed, rotors cut and all adjustments done in 40 minutes for less than 50 dollars.
So I fail to see any difficulties here getting things done my way and on my time and terms. Now if I can make friends in all those areas and find all the repairs done so cheap and efficiently then why is it so many of these north coast residents having all the problems in the world? Are you sure you folks live in DR?
AZB

P.S. I actually got billed twice for 7 K pesos for electricity. Once I got it reduced, other time I had to pay. the government changed and my contact was gone from the electric company and from the government. :(
So the only solution was, pay up, and i did just that. But but, even then I didn't pay. A close friend was in my house for a week and he wrote it off as living expense to his job because he always stays in my home and saves money to his company for hotel fees. his company was more than happy to pay for the electric bill. This is something I didn't even ask for but the money just landed on my lap. It didn't cost my friend or me so i accepted it. See if the solution is not easy, it becomes almost a gift if you have the right attitude towards life live in this island.

Last edited:
Reactions: AlaninDR

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
creative thinker my a$$.
You are absolutely right AZB ...........:chinese:.......:chinese:.........

That IS perhaps the most creative thinking part of your anatomy!! :cheeky: :cheeky: ;)

What is it you always say /??/ "Relax - Have a nice day"?
YOUR 'happy day' is knocking anyone who does not come from the Mega City of YOUR world ... Santiago!:bunny::bunny::surprised!

People are entitled to be happy (or make fun of) their OWN part of this universe without YOU having to constantly tell them of how they 'Don't Know anything about this country' because they do not live within sight of YOUR knotted knickers!! ~ Grahame.

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
You are absolutely right AZB ...........:chinese:.......:chinese:.........

That IS perhaps the most creative thinking part of your anatomy!! :cheeky: :cheeky: ;)

What is it you always say /??/ "Relax - Have a nice day"?
YOUR 'happy day' is knocking anyone who does not come from the Mega City of YOUR world ... Santiago!:bunny::bunny::surprised!

People are entitled to be happy (or make fun of) their OWN part of this universe without YOU having to constantly tell them of how they 'Don't Know anything about this country' because they do not live within sight of YOUR knotted knickers!! ~ Grahame.

Exactly.
hahahaa
AZB

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org

I think you will probably find AnnaC that MOST of these stories happened to "My Good Friend .........." or "My friend the colonel", "my contact within ..........". Must be a VERY boring life having your 'Good friends' take all the responsibility away from you. :cheeky:

I wonder which 'Good Friend' comes & wipes that most creative part of his anatomy? :surprised :ermm: :cheeky: ~ Grahame.

Reactions: AlaninDR

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
Gosh, it seems to be toooo easy to rattle the bars of certain people's cages, doesn't it :). Well I took this advice:

Just look at the OP's previous threads and posts and you will find nothing but problems and difficulties in living here. Whether she puts it in humorous tone or in serious emergency response, its always a drama.

and what did I find?

1) I found that when something REALLY serious happens to Matilda it is reported factually, no whining, no moaning - for example

http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/64740-year-today-since-being-shot-throat.html

http://www.dr1.com/forums/legal/54163-when-you-get-shot.html

2) When the little ups & downs of life occur they are treated lightheartedly and in a way which entertains us all. Who could ever forget
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/55290-why-i-love-country.html

3) Then there are the threads where she is trying to help others
http://www.dr1.com/forums/living/77856-urgently-need-warfarin.html

4) Amazingly she appears not to live on the north coast but in Juan Dolio

I'm sure that AZB has never ever posted a whine on this board, nor a boast, nor anything similar but..........forgive me, folks, I don't have the time to check ;). Someone else might like to.

Tallman1818

Nov 19, 2007
creative thinker my a$$. many folks in resort areas are cry babies. Complain and complain even when you try to pass it for humor. Even in your humor, you are complaining and putting this country down. No wonder all the worse things happen to you folks: you get arrested, your chica robs you, poisons you, kills you, then you have expats killing expats, talking out webpages against each other, threatening each other, getting mugged, getting your throat slashed etc etc etc. please fill in the blanks if I missed out anything.
The point is, we live in the city yet we still enjoy the island comforts. We are close to rivers, mountains, beach is 1 hour away and lakes are 25 minutes away. We do not have to deal with slimy con-artist coastal dominicans and we do not have to deal with other expats.
You people live in the coast and still have no idea of this island, even after 18 yrs of living here. The so called experts expats are only experts of their tiny campos (with beach). Some people worship them as if they are the head authority on this island. In reality, except for a few people (example mark from rocky and tflea and a few others), the rest have little knowledge of this island. The moment they step out of their little bubble (puerto plata) they are lost in santiago. can't even speak spanish.
So please lambada and all the rest of the humor laughing barrels, don't try to flock your feathers in front of me. remember, I live here also.
AZB

Dr. AZB I agree with you on the part that all you have to do is just get use to the way people live in this beautiful island I now call home full time, I was raise in the States but born in DR, so I don?t like to put down my 2 loved countrys DR and the USA but now, to a Dominican who was born and raise under those living conditions dealing with problems describe here on this thread, things like no chicken on the supermarket or having the phone company taking their sweet time to get to your house to fix your phone are seen like everyday things that people just don?t mind so much because it?s just the way things are here in DR, so just go with the flow.
Now remember to a new comer who was born and raise on a develop country in North America or Europe some of the things that happend in DR are not everyday occurances to them so they put it as a big deal or a problem that only happens to them in DR but they are part of a under-develop nation.
Now I live in Santiago, and I love it here and it?s true you can have your life go as contable as you do in the States or Europe and still have the luxury of living on a island where your dollar or euro goes really far.
Now I can describe million of daily happenings here to Dominicans or expats but I will only do it as a humor thread which was the intend of the original OP.

my 2 cents.......

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
Dr. AZB I agree with you on the part that all you have to do is just get use to the way people live in this beautiful island I now call home full time, I was raise in the States but born in DR, so I don?t like to put down my 2 loved countrys DR and the USA but now, to a Dominican who was born and raise under those living conditions dealing with problems describe here on this thread, things like no chicken on the supermarket or having the phone company taking their sweet time to get to your house to fix your phone are seen like everyday things that people just don?t mind so much because it?s just the way things are here in DR, so just go with the flow.
Now remember to a new comer who was born and raise on a develop country in North America or Europe some of the things that happend in DR are not everyday occurances to them so they put it as a big deal or a problem that only happens to them in DR but they are part of a under-develop nation.
Now I live in Santiago, and I love it here and it?s true you can have your life go as contable as you do in the States or Europe and still have the luxury of living on a island where your dollar or euro goes really far.
Now I can describe million of daily happenings here to Dominicans or expats but I will only do it as a humor thread which was the intend of the original OP.

my 2 cents.......
Point well taken. Thanks.
Ok folks have it your way.
i will refrain from posting on this thread.
Bushbaby, remember, tomorrow you will be replaced by a younger president. hahahahaha.
AZB

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
To ensure that AZB stays out of the thread as promised, no more comments directed at him. :)

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
Bushbaby, remember, tomorrow you will be replaced by a younger president.

And if I might be permitted to say so ............ Not a day too soon. Having to make these ridiculous misquotes like "Misunderestimated me" or "Moleclar" or "Nucelar" is getting me into the ways of American slang!! ;) :cheeky:

I'll miss the free shoes being thrown to greet me, the friendly "Hey Presidente!!" calls each day or the raised eyebrows thinking I am jesting them when I say I am G.W. Bush, but overall I feel it will allow for a quieter, more sedate life! I might even be allowed back into Santiago Golf Course again to meet all those 'Influential People' we don't have up here in Puerto Plata :cheeky: :surprised :cheeky: :paranoid: :pirate: ~ Grahame.
(Hope this doesn't break your rule Chiri - it was humorous & laughing at myself, NOT the aforementioned individual!! - G.)

Status
Not open for further replies.