AN EARLY CHRISTMAS GIFT

R

Richard

Back in 1992 when a business partner and I were operating Treetop, a large and popular bar in Sosua against his warnings and those of other ex-pats, I hired a ?puta? (prostitute) as a waitress. I knew her fairly well; she had often stayed at Tropic Breeze a hotel we also operated at that time, with an affluent young German who often visited Sosua. When he returned home, feeling that she really had the potential to do something with her life I hired her. The first week all was well; she was efficient, personable and reliable. Then one night she came in in a foul mood and started banging glasses around and giving customers a hard time. I took her aside and told her she might as well go home, there wasn?t any point in her working that night. She said no she wasn?t going anywhere, so I fired her on the spot. Over the next few weeks I heard through the grapevine that she was back hooking in Charamicos. I also heard that the problem was that she was pregnant by another man, and she knew she had blown her chances of marrying the man she had her sights on. About a month later the phone bill arrived. On it were several calls to Germany. I remembered that at one time she had asked to use the phone to call a sick grandmother in Santiago, and knew she was the only one who would have made the calls to Germany. Fine, my partner and the others had been right. Never hire a puta. Of course this was years ago and was just one of many daily problems paying your dues to do business in the DR. and was quickly forgotten. This past November while visiting Sosua a friend and I went to a fine restaurant in Charamicos for dinner. When we entered the restaurant the hostess took one look at me, threw her arms around me and hugged me. ?Oh Richard,? she said, ?it?s so good to see you again.? She said. It was then that it dawned on me that this was the woman I had hired so many years ago. As my friend and I sat at our table looking over the menu, she came to the table and put down a folded piece of paper and left. When I opened it up, inside were 150 pesos and a note. Thank you Richard for believing in me, here is the money for the calls to Germany. It said. When she returned, I asked her how her life had been. She took out a photo and showed me a picture of her now eight-year-old son, a handsome boy with obvious Caucasian and Hispanic features. When I returned the money (more than a day?s pay) to her, I told her to use the money for Christmas for her boy and that I knew he would grow into a fine man because he had a fine and honest mother. To me this shows how honest Dominicans are. Here it was 8 years later and she still remembered the phone bill and was prepared to make restitution. To me it was also an early Christmas gift, Just knowing that my decision to hire her 8 years ago had been the right one.

J

Jim Hinsch

"...against his warnings and those of other ex-pats, I hired a ?puta? (prostitute) as a waitress. ...Fine, my partner and the others had been right. Never hire a puta"

What does having been a puta have to do with this story? If she had been a mechanic, would they say never hire a mechanic? I don't get it. If it has been a motoconcho, never hire a motoconcho? Explain this prejudice and stereotyping.

What you did was special, because you went beyond your prejudice and looked at the individual. A lesson learned.

R

Richard

Your response hardly warrants a reply from me Jim. I'm sure you know exactly what I was getting at. If you don't you are very slow. It certainly was not a matter of prejudice. If you have nothing constructive to say why would you waste your time and others by replying? have a nice Christmas Jim.

R

Richard

Re: It's hard to generalize, about Dominicans or p

of course you are right about generalizing. The mesage is that I took a chance on a woman whose past was a little sordid and now, I feel good that I did. Prostitutes, and believe me I have known a lot of them over the years as a rule do not have a great reputation for honesty or reliability.

S

Sonny

Well,one good thing is...

That everyone deserves a chance in life and you gave her that chance...good for you Richard!For many people that for what ever reason became prostitutes still deserve to be looked upon as human beings,one never knows all the circumstances in their life that may have brought them to this point.I personally enjoy talking with them because they're straight up,blunt and to the point.

Sonny

D

Doug

Re: AN EARLY CHRISTMAS GIFT.re jim

Jim; whats the matter with you ? anyone one who puts a story in or says or speaks thier mind, your right on them. Jim PLEASE leave ppl alone as everybody is entitled to thier own opinion and their own way of thinking. You are not the DR1 cop here, you are an avid reader and contribiture, (which i might point out you have some very insightful info) but please don't pick apart ppl's words,as like me everybody does not put everything they were ever taught into putting a couple of words down here. Jim i've got some story's you put on the net from 93 or 94 and you certainly would not want me to put these on the board an show how much of a racist you have been in the past and also how badly you put down the dominican culture. (i have them saved they were from some of your very early visits to the Don Jaun way back in 93 or 94)so Jim we are not perfect an you are very far from it as well, so please remember when you go to correct someone or go to put someone down, remember we are not in court, so take things lightly, and dont be so fast to stomp on ppl, Jim you are certainly not the boss or controller on this site, if you find a need to show ppl they are wrong on every little thing they say, i think you should start your own site and that and only that would give you the right to say some of the things you say. Any body that agree's with me say so, ....so jim will get the point. Thank you for your time JIm

S

Sonny

FULLY AGREE!!!..right on Doug

I'd still like to see those earlier posts though,why don't you email them to me?

G

Gunnar

This is basically a comment on the comments to Jim's posting.

Did anyone READ Jims whole posting, or did you just
stop at the first line?

Jim is appraising Richards descicion to "go against the wind",
questioning the wisdom of the wind. (The people who tried to
advice Richard "never to hire...")

Jim, you're totally right - NEVER generalise about groups
unless it concerns the definition of the group. I.e. it
would be ok to "generalize" and say that most dominicans
speak better spanish than chinese. Precious little else.
And even in such an "obvious" statement there are exceptions!

Maybe Jim had awful ideas 5-10 years ago. I don't know, and
it doesn't interest me. Let's see, 8 years ago I still didn't
believe PC's could be useful, I stayed with mini's.
Does that mean that my current expertise in PC technology
is worth less?

Is it "the wind" again?

J

Jim Hinsch

"It certainly was not a matter of prejudice. "

Then we have different definitions.

"Prostitutes, and believe me I have known a lot of them over the years as a rule do not have a great reputation for honesty or reliability"

I don't know any group of locals that I could easily classify by their job as having such a reputation. That's MY point.

G

Gunnar

Re: Well,one good thing is...

Besides, on the subject of honesty and reliability, what
about second-hand car-dealers? Isn't it so that for
every profession, there's a lot of talk and stories about
the (few) rotten eggs, while the honest majority never gets
their well-deserved and hard-earned "write-up"?

In Cristmas time, maybe someone recall the profession of Jesus'
best friend, Mary from Magdala?

Merry C/Gunnar

G

Gunnar

Have this awfully bad habit of reading the whole article before
forming an opinion. Should I apply for WNF-protection as
an extinction-threatened animal?

J

Jim Hinsch

Re: AN EARLY CHRISTMAS GIFT.re jim

"everybody is entitled to thier own opinion"

And I'll post mine. How boring life (and this board) would be without a little controversy. Be glad someone has the guts to tell it straight. Lighten up.

"Jim i've got some story's you put on the net from 93 or 94 and you certainly would not want me to put these on the board an show how much of a racist you have been in the past and also how badly you put down the dominican culture."

I poke fun at all cultures, including my own.

T

Tom

Most of "us" middle class "average" people hear the word "Prostitute" and think of the Times Square Streetwalker, drug addicted plying her trade to support a habit.

Think of these Dominican girls with children, no husbands (At least ones' that contribute to the family), NO SOCIAL SUPPORT NETWORK, no Wal Mart or McDonalds to earn minimum wage; How would you ecpect them to provide for their families and themselves?

When some of you reply with "Other's find jobs," include one available job in one available town so that we can pass it on to some teen age girl that may wish to find a more "respectable" position, Richard did

Tom

R

Richard

obviously my post was no to create controversy. It was solely to show how a story which started out in a rather unpleasant way ended up with a happy ending. It is unfortunate that some people choose to put their own rather pessimistic spin on what was intended to be a nice little Christmas story. Obviously there are still lots of grinches around who chose to nitpick and detract from any postings I may make. Merry Christmas everyone.
Richard

T

Tom

Pessimistic? I thought I was trying to relate the reason so many women in the DR are involved in Prostitution, their limited means of escape and your one decent effort to help a girl? I must have mis worded my post as I was complimenting your action not berating it

Tom

J

Jim Hinsch

It was a nice story and you seem to be a very nice man. That doesn't mean I don't disagree with some things you say.

"Fine, my partner and the others had been right. Never hire a puta." was not nice.

When asked to explain, you replied "I'm sure you know exactly what I was getting at. If you don't you are very slow.".

Those comments say a lot about how you classify people.

It is difficult to find honest and reliable workers anywhere in the world, especially amongst young people and for lower paying jobs like a waitress that typically, are temporary jobs and not careers. The fact that she had a bad day with a bad attitude had nothing to do with having been a "puta".

Another point is that hiring her was no special break, really, except maybe for someone like you to have done it, being one that looks down on "putas" as having a reputation of being dishonest and unreliable.

In part, Puta or prostitute in the DR is used by many to describe people that participate in any or all of the activities that take place in tourist areas, whereby local men and women interact with tourists with hopes of gaining anything from a free drink, a meal, a gift, some money, a relationship, a visa, or even love, a family, and a future.

Some do it while holding regular jobs working at the local hotels and restaurants, some do it by hanging out at the bars at night or the beach during the day. Some even do it while running private small businesses (ask the guys that run water sports businesses and tours companies). Such is neither illegal nor reflective of any particular character flaws as you seemed it have indicated (you said "not reputed for being honest or reliable"). I'd guess a good 50% of the younger waiters and waitresses in Sosua fit in this category, so I don't see where "hiring a puta" for a waitress was anything out of the ordinary or special.

However, at the end of the story, you come to terms that you were wrong to think that way (I hope) and by trusting your instincts about the individual, you persevered. Bravo for that.

E

Eddy

Hi Richard

You posted that a decison you made a while back came to a happy ending and I'm glad for you. If it made YOU happy then why bother with everyone else's opinion. Have a nice XMAS.