An Ideal Vehicle for All DR

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Avoid the Cherokee - too many problems too list and it's not just my experience with them but several friends. Don't know much about the Escape but they are a Ford so after 120,000 miles expect everything could go

i remember a poster here tried to trade in a fairly new Grand Cherokee to buy a Prado. the guy wanted 32,000 dollars for the Prado. the Cherokee was 3 years older, and the best offer he got was 7000 dollars. Derfish was there with us, in case anyone thinks i made it up...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
i remember a poster here tried to trade in a fairly new Grand Cherokee to buy a Prado. the guy wanted 32,000 dollars for the Prado. the Cherokee was 3 years older, and the best offer he got was 7000 dollars. Derfish was there with us, in case anyone thinks i made it up...

They have electrical problems, heater/AC control module issues, little things like power window switches, window tracks breaking and exhaust leaks. Mine the light switch when set to "Auto" would turn the lights on after just sitting locked in the drive. Avoid the Cherokee unless you buy them new and can afford to lose big $ and trade them off after 24 months - they have a nice ride but a less than 50,000 mile reliability window

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
They have electrical problems, heater/AC control module issues, little things like power window switches, window tracks breaking and exhaust leaks. Mine the light switch when set to "Auto" would turn the lights on after just sitting locked in the drive. Avoid the Cherokee unless you buy them new and can afford to lose big $ and trade them off after 24 months - they have a nice ride but a less than 50,000 mile reliability window

this was the premium model...a beautiful, black one, with all the possible bells and whistles. the guy would not offer a dime over 7 grand.

i am on my way to the shippers to get my diagnostic scan tool, which can diagnose all the issues you just mentioned, plus hidden problems, such as to tell me if the airbags will deploy in a wreck.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Avoid the Cherokee - too many problems too list and it's not just my experience with them but several friends. Don't know much about the Escape but they are a Ford so after 120,000 miles expect everything could go

I'll never keep it to 120,000 but.... thanks

Have good Jeep experiences in NoAmerica

Leaning to the Ford Escape.... or Nissan something..
depending on what turns up.
Finding low miles is the chore

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
this was the premium model...a beautiful, black one, with all the possible bells and whistles. the guy would not offer a dime over 7 grand.

i am on my way to the shippers to get my diagnostic scan tool, which can diagnose all the issues you just mentioned, plus hidden problems, such as to tell me if the airbags will deploy in a wreck.

Which model scanner did you order ? The Snap-On or Bosch (or did you have to keep it under $200 for taxes). Can they reset air bag codes ? I hope some day codes can't be erased from memory only cleared once the problem is addressed

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Which model scanner did you order ? The Snap-On or Bosch (or did you have to keep it under $200 for taxes). Can they reset air bag codes ? I hope some day codes can't be erased from memory only cleared once the problem is addressed

it is a thing called a Blue Driver. you buy the dongle, then you download an app. it can do all manner of things. if you go to buy a used car, and the check engine light is on, it can tell you not only why it is on, but how long the schmuck has been driving the car like that. also, if the guy selling the car paid somebody with a scanner to turn off the trouble lights, without repairing the problems, it will tell you. it will diagnose your restraint systems, to tell you if your airbags will deploy if you wreck. it diagnoses tranny problem, ABS. it tells how many miles per gallon you are getting. it knows your mother's maiden name.. naah..it just tells you the right vin to the car you are looking at, in case there was a computer switch..

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
it is a thing called a Blue Driver. you buy the dongle, then you download an app. it can do all manner of things. if you go to buy a used car, and the check engine light is on, it can tell you not only why it is on, but how long the schmuck has been driving the car like that. also, if the guy selling the car paid somebody with a scanner to turn off the trouble lights, without repairing the problems, it will tell you. it will diagnose your restraint systems, to tell you if your airbags will deploy if you wreck. it diagnoses tranny problem, ABS. it tells how many miles per gallon you are getting. it knows your mother's maiden name.. naah..it just tells you the right vin to the car you are looking at, in case there was a computer switch..

Is the software free for it ? And I assume like all of the OBDII scanners it works only with Android phones ?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Is the software free for it ? And I assume like all of the OBDII scanners it works only with Android phones ?

the software is free. if you want really outrageous, but redundant, software, you can buy one of those 20 dollar apps.

it does work with iphones, but i plan to buy an 8 inch dedicated tablet, just for the device.

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
the software is free. if you want really outrageous, but redundant, software, you can buy one of those 20 dollar apps.

it does work with iphones, but i plan to buy an 8 inch dedicated tablet, just for the device.
Let me know how this device works. Isn't it limited to mainly North American vehicles and not so good on Hyundai, Kia, and Gerrman vehicles like Mercedes

?

Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
Pinzgauer-Vector-and-Mastiff-British-Army-vehicles.jpg

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
My neighbor, John DuPont , had one of those he drove around his property.

Remember him... killed the wrestler -- went to jail...
still in. I guess.

Slightly nuts.....
Foxcatcher Farm, newtown square PA

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
My neighbor, John DuPont , had one of those he drove around his property.

Remember him... killed the wrestler -- went to jail...
still in. I guess.

Slightly nuts.....
Foxcatcher Farm, newtown square PA
Yeah that guy was weird

Sent from my HTC One A9 using Tapatalk

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Let me know how this device works. Isn't it limited to mainly North American vehicles and not so good on Hyundai, Kia, and Gerrman vehicles like Mercedes

?

it works with just about everything. one of the joys of the device is that it also works with diesel cars, as long as they use a battery 18 volts or less.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

I will be in the market for a Grand Cherokee Limited or Overland 2014 or 2015 next year. I was told the problems GC's faced where the earlier (until 2013) models?

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
I will be in the market for a Grand Cherokee Limited or Overland 2014 or 2015 next year. I was told the problems GC's faced where the earlier (until 2013) models?

Mine was a 2004 and I'm sure it's in a junk yard somewhere because it was junk

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
cariebemike

I have 2012 Overland Summit in US/Canada... 50,000 miles
never a hiccup....
a great car....
Suspension adjusts up/down.... totally automatic everything.......

here may be different........

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
I have now 50,000 kilometers with my Tucson 2014 Full, took me all over, never a hiccup too (well, key battery went empty, had to change it :) and brake discs). Never thought that it will do that well but need something bigger now to continue my war with the #$$%^ publicos!!!!!!!!!! :ninja: