Peterj

Bronze
Oct 7, 2002
Dominican Republic
What about this:
GRBC304_01.jpg

kg4jxt

Mar 28, 2014
Not new, but my 2002 L200 Mitsubishi 4WD diesel pickup truck is pretty good (as has been said before). But I will add that it is not as heavy in back and therefore less traction than my '86 Mits. Montero 4WD diesel which will go anywhere.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
What about this:
GRBC304_01.jpg

Like the humor, but there are some decent flat autopistas as well as plenty of newly surfaced single carriageways on the flat and through mountains where you can drive at speed. But there are many other and lesser lesser roads too with variable surfaces from good to downright horrible through flat and hill country. And then we have the many dirt tracks so uneven you can not imagine.

I drive the lot and close to minimum 600km weekly so hence my OP with recognition of driving skills and control. I cant imagine driving a weighty tank at speed with enjoyment through the hills and that includes bulky SUVs.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
I will ask a simple question. Who actually can drive at decent pace through the hills a large SUV and enjoy and then be happy down the autopista and finally in slow stop start traffic.

I know a 2.4 Suzuki is good through the hills, albeit manual drive would be best, and can keep up with quickes,t and is a good efficient runner at the speed limit down the autopista with a turn of speed to overtake, and doesn't grind in slow traffic, so tell me what works better and is equally cost effective if you go buy today.

I suspect the new Vitaras don't hack it.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
The most obnoxious drivers in the DR drive Mitsubishi Monteros or Toyota Prado/Land Cruisers. So there is that.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
The most obnoxious drivers in the DR drive Mitsubishi Monteros or Toyota Prado/Land Cruisers. So there is that.

Monteros and 4Runners perhaps...they are short of the status given to Prados and Land Cruisers.

I always think when they slide by at 140kph that 100rd notes fly out the window km by km for nought. Apparent status costs....enjoy.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
if you have the kind of money wherein you can afford a Prado, then that should probably be your first shot. if not, then a Fortuner.

if your wallet is a little weak, then my suggestion would be a Hyundai Santa Fe. that is value for money, runs sweet, and tough as nails.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Yeah and the Americans are recommending pick-ups.  Never ever seen the practical use of a pick-up other than for moving dirt, gravel and manure.  Leave anything else in the back of a pick-up and as soon as the vehicle is stationary, it gets nicked!

Oh, and Australians have a strange obsession with pick-ups (or Utes) too.
My family has always had pick-ups as secondary vehicles to haul stuff around. I don't know how we'd have survived without one. But then again, our roots are country and suburban where pick-ups have greater utility.

It was tough selling my '66 Chevy C10 Fleetside, straight-6 and three on the tree when I moved down here...

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
I would not buy a Land Rover no matter where I lived. British Engineering and automobiles? Jaguars? Nope, not gonna do it.

Suzuki sounds good, RAV4, or perhaps a Korean model. Sorento/Santa Fe or smaller versions.

I am sorry Windeguy but I have had a Jaguar S-type diesel and put 242.000 kms on it (driving 80.000 a year) without Major problems. It's more the viavia stories than real experiences people tell. 

Fulano2

Bronze
Jun 5, 2011
Europe
Sorry but Range Rover is not suited here for the all round driving and conditions plus maintenance. Done that. Very very expensive and just doesn't hack it one bit. Nearly rolled one on the new Las Terrenas toll road in the wet and that is something you can't do in a modest Vitara.

Sorry but I didn't mention Range Rover...by the way there is no better 4x4 nowadays than the new Vogue. 

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
Sorry but I didn't mention Range Rover...by the way there is no better 4x4 nowadays than the new Vogue. 

you want to go into the Outback? go in a Range Rover.

you want to come back out of the Outback? go in a Toyota Prado.

Jan 9, 2004
If you travel widely in DR and not just the cities and Autopistas but deep into the campo and on some s**t surfaced roads and some really s**t unsurfaced roads and then don't have deep pockets or are simply money conscious, the question is what new all round car would you buy with reasons?

If you tell me some large gas guzzling, low all round driving performance SUV with blacked out windows or tuned up racer you haven't read the first paragraph. Why waste $$$$$ with a gas guzzler when you can't enjoy the wide variety of driving conditions and aren't a government official or gigolo trying to make a statement?

I have been influenced in the islands where Suzukis seem to be very popular and handle the very worst and best on offer and survive, yet I don't understand how the new range compares, so ask a question for the future.

Suzuki has a strong foothold throughout the Islands, but they pale in comparison to other vehicles in their market segment.

In the small/compact SUV market segment that the Vitara occupies, two choices that seem to fit your criteria are the Toyota RAV 4 and the Subaru Forester. Both are similarly priced and are head and shoulders quality and performance wise above the Grand Vitara.

Amongst those two, the Subaru Forester is overall slightly better than the Toyota.....except for name recognition in the DR. However, I have seen, more and more Subaru's in the DR than ever before.

The Suzuki 1.6 gas engine is under powered and if you chose that route (gas), the 1.4 turbo model is better.

One discussion not yet mentioned here is 2 wheel drive versus 4 wheel/All wheel drive. Most people may not even realize that the SUV they purchased is only two wheeI drive. If you truly may need campo/mountain road traction, then the all wheel drive/4 wheel drive option is a must. Why, other than perhaps road clearance and to show off their jeepeta, Dominicans will buy an SUV of any size without it, escapes the logic of buying an SUV......but it does save a few dollars.....and allows more splash for the cash.

In the end however it is a personal decision, and the only person that needs be happy with it is you.

Good luck.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
for me the toyota prado diesel is a beast. It will climb very well in 2wd. For parts and repairs very easy. Only need 4wd for mud