android smartphone purchase

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
That is interesting info and I know of owners of three alcatel phones of the real cheapo regular cells where the ring tone is just hardly audible. Several trips to the seller did not change anything for any of them so I do not believe it was a problem with the settings. I forgot about that. I think it is because I sort of like the idea of a phone I cannot hear incoming rings anyway. Great excuse for people like me with a phobia of phones.

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
Does any one know what frequencies Orange and Claro use for 3G? I have a unlocked android phone but just found out that although you might get it to work on Claro or Orange you might not get a 3G connection. Similar here in the states. You can buy a T-mobile phone and unlock it to use on AT&T but you will just get Edge.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Gordon, our local orange office actually let me take some phones home to try them, as I had the same problem as you. Bad reception.

By trying them I mean, I was allowed to take them home for an hour or so, just to check the signal. As they were new phones I was not allowed to actually use them of course.

Maybe they will let you do so as well?

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Belgiank what phone worked the best for your spot? and was there a lot of noticeable difference between phones? Here you would have to test them all close to the same time too as the signal comes and goes.

I just found out I have a 3G internet signal where my antennae is not in direct line with the tower. So it works pretty good at low speeds but as the speed increases the loss is more critical. Cloudy days bounce some of the signal back downward for a curving effect and make for better reception. This is the stuff that takes forever to figure our for a non techie.

tmnyc

Oct 19, 2006
Does any one know what frequencies Orange and Claro use for 3G? I have a unlocked android phone but just found out that although you might get it to work on Claro or Orange you might not get a 3G connection. Similar here in the states. You can buy a T-mobile phone and unlock it to use on AT&T but you will just get Edge.

DOMINICAN REPUBLIC; GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1900; UMTS 850/900

(CLARO) Compa?ia Dominicana de Telefonos, C. por A.
Frequency:
GSM 850/1900
3G 850Mhz

Orange Dominicana S.A.
Frequency:
GSM 900/1800/1900
3G 900Mhz

VIVA Trilogy Dominicana, soon to be Movistar...
Frequency:
GSM 1900

RG84

Bronze
May 21, 2010
DOMINICAN REPUBLIC; GSM/GPRS/EDGE 850/900/1900; UMTS 850/900

(CLARO) Compa?ia Dominicana de Telefonos, C. por A.
Frequency:
GSM 850/1900
3G 850Mhz

Orange Dominicana S.A.
Frequency:
GSM 900/1800/1900
3G 900Mhz

VIVA Trilogy Dominicana, soon to be Movistar...
Frequency:
GSM 1900

Thanks tmnyc,

Looks like Claro should work with most AT&T phones and Orange with T mobile phones.
Where did you find this info?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Thanks tmnyc,

Looks like Claro should work with most AT&T phones and Orange with T mobile phones.
Where did you find this info?

Good info. Also I see that Viva will become Movistar soon. This is a big company in South America. They might become a top Cell Phone provider over here.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Belgiank what phone worked the best for your spot? and was there a lot of noticeable difference between phones? Here you would have to test them all close to the same time too as the signal comes and goes.

I just found out I have a 3G internet signal where my antennae is not in direct line with the tower. So it works pretty good at low speeds but as the speed increases the loss is more critical. Cloudy days bounce some of the signal back downward for a curving effect and make for better reception. This is the stuff that takes forever to figure our for a non techie.

The best by far was the Samsung, closely followed by a Nokia.

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Now I know what brand I want. Thanks so much! I hate buying brand name just for brand name sake but with so many things it really does make good sense. Will you have a Toyota, Chevy, Ford or maybe a Lada with that order?
I feel so much better about spending the few extra bucks.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
Movistar

Good info. Also I see that Viva will become Movistar soon. This is a big company in South America. They might become a top Cell Phone provider over here.

Movistar was bought by Telefonica. Outside of Spain the service is terrible. But they do offer some nice cell/land line packages, when they work! I would stay away from Movistar for now.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Movistar was bought by Telefonica. Outside of Spain the service is terrible. But they do offer some nice cell/land line packages, when they work! I would stay away from Movistar for now.

I actually have a Movistar phone here that I was using in Buenos Aires. I tried to activate it here, but could not. I am not sure what they use, but I tend to agree with you about the service. But they do have Internet and could compete with Claro, which may help us get some service from Claro.