Animal Cruelty at the New Life School, Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I also received a PM from Mr. Hanley. He said there were no students involved in the cruelty to the cat, that all participants were Haitian day laborers.

Lambada, I also went back and read the original post. It would seem from the description given by hughatthepub that Mr. Hanley may not have been given all the details about who was present when the cat was being mistreated.

I wonder if it is normal practice at the New Life School to dress Haitian day laborers in the New Life t shirts and shorts.

Last edited:

woofsback

Bronze
Dec 20, 2009
it's called DAMAGE control...
his school can't afford the bad publicity
he has no choice to spin this wether innocent or guilty
politicians do it in thier sleep :)

Lambada

Gold
Mar 4, 2004
www.ginniebedggood.com
I have had a PM from Mr. Hanley saying he will not be posting anything until after he meets with the OP & his wife on Monday. This seems sensible so let us all wait until Monday for further clarification. The OP might also want to update us after this meeting.

Mr Hanley has answered my questions about who Joe is, but has not included permission to share and in any event, I do not feel it appropriate for me to act as someone else's fingers :cheeky: (nor do I have the time) so those wanting answers to those questions had better PM Mr. Hanley.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I received a similar message.

Best now to wait until we hear from the OP after the meeting that is scheduled for Monday. I am sure they are capable of deciding for themselves if they misperceived anything.

May 29, 2006
Yes, perhaps the cat had partially swallowed a mouse and the kid was trying to remove it with centrifugal force. I'm not so shocked that some kid started to abuse some cat as much as it was not only allowed to happen but the passersby were reprimanded for trying to get involved. The adult at the scene should be at the meeting if they want any excuse to be credible. The cat should also be taken to a shelter or I fear it may face reprisals..

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Update
I have read with interest the many responses to my thread. I have been contacted by a Mr Hanley and am due to meet with him this coming Monday. I have no idea at this time what he will want to say so it is best that I do not try to preemt anything but I can assure everyone that after a due time for consideration of the results of that meeting I will post a full report, as it seems to have aroused a considerable (and commendable) amount of interest. I did email the charity involved with the wellfare of animals in Sosua, but I don't yet know if they have had time to read my communication as I have had no reply (todavia)

Just to clarify a couple of points: The young man (I would have put him in late teens) was of Haitian appearance and not wearing uniform associated with the New Life School. "Joe" was clearly New Life School staff, and it was really him that upset us with his astonishing attitude, not the Haitian lad who clearly thought he had done no wrong.

Those clinging to the centrifugal removal of prey theory will be glad to know that I hold a degree in Applied Physics (admittedly from a minor UK University, not the New Life Organisation) and will be glad to debate the issues of easophagael collapse etc that prevents the emmission of partially swallowed prey in these circumstances.

To the pea brained idiot who collared my wife the other night with the revalationary theory that "its all right because they eat cats in Haiti, you know" I can really only say - please engage the brain before opening your mouth, I enjoy eating cows, chickens, pigs and other dead animals but that does not give me the right to torture them for my pleasure beforehand (at least as I see it)

Personally I have no views one way or the other regarding the charitable or otherwise status of the New Life Organisation. I have actually no reason to believe that they are anything other than that which they claim to be, present circumstances excepted. I do think it is important that they be afforded the opportunity to make a proper explanation of their side of the story, and I will be happy to facilitate this; after all if the boot were on the other foot........

I will leave you with a final thought: Before you criticize another person, walk "a mile in his shoes". That way, when you do, you are a mile away AND YOU'VE GOT HIS SHOES

hughatthepub

Reactions: Matilda

Robert

Stay Frosty!
Jan 2, 1999
dr1.com
On that note, I will close this thread for the time being.

Please email or PM me any official responses etc you receive, plus a report of the meeting and I will post them and open the thread again.

Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.