Another doggie problem... what to do?

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Happy ending....

Luca has a lovely new home. I received a PM offering her a new life with a couple of Chihuahuas and a loving "mum" for company. Today we delivered a clean and de-loused Luca to Cabarete. Another "success" story for DR1 and a happy dog and delighted new owner as you can see .....

2w1vyb5.jpg

28lqkya.jpg

bren712

Sep 26, 2009
Hello All,
First I would like to commend all of you for loving animals. However, I don't think that walking away and ignoring the problem is the right answer. I am not saying you need to take in the dog but maybe thru your friends and contacts, you could find a home for the Dobie. I am a stray keeper too but that is a blessing that I have and I would be amiss to deny that. For all you help, you will be blessed in your life so do all you can but don't do nothing...Just my opinion.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hello All,
First I would like to commend all of you for loving animals. However, I don't think that walking away and ignoring the problem is the right answer. I am not saying you need to take in the dog but maybe thru your friends and contacts, you could find a home for the Dobie. I am a stray keeper too but that is a blessing that I have and I would be amiss to deny that. For all you help, you will be blessed in your life so do all you can but don't do nothing...Just my opinion.

May I refer you to my post no. 25, the one immediately prior to yours which shows Luca with her new owner in her new home....

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Hi WB,

Seems you have mananged to get this dog a much better life. It is just a shame the rest can't be helped. I prefer to ignore the plights I see around the streets or tied up day after day with little or no water, or even the run over ones I see on a regular basis (people just driving on by without a care) but still squirming around before the ultimate that is a painfull death. I have done the right thing on a few occasions and finished them off when it is obvious they are just dying a painful and slow death, guts hanging out etc.

My charity in the UK was a rescue team and we housed abused dogs until we found new owners for them, it isn't as easy to find older dogs the homes puppies find them easily enough.
We used to run car boot sales and do some markets to collect money to help support the charity, we would post leaflets to houses asking for whatever they are not wanting anymore and put it on a market stall/boot sale, even ask for donations for dog food to help while we were searching for new homes for them. A bin outside the supermarket works well, as people can see it on the way in and then buy a little extra food for the bin on the way out and just drop it in. With all the boot sales we eventually managed to raise enough money to build a 15 section secure kennel so we could take even more in. And the amount of Dog food we received was shckingly good, I was always suprised at just how much people would give you to help out.

I don't think there is much like this in DR and so I find it the sensible thing to do to walk on past and try to black it out of my head.

I would never see a dog tortured or if it is was in extreme pain then without a doubt I'm have it to the vets and probably end up coughing up the vets bills for this strange mutt out of my pocket. Unfortunately though we can't help all of them all of the time, and unless it is beaten into the Dominicans that dogs are not just rodents this is a never ending circle of misery for the innocent in this, the dog.

I can assure you of one thing for sure, whoever you take the dog from will have another within the month and the circle begins again. Access to schools, 30 minutes after assembly (I used to do this and found it fun, some of the questions asked are very funny), twice a week and maybe even getting some coverage in the press or what we are doing.
Fight for fines to be enforced on to the owners and lifetime bans if the animal is found to be beyond saving, and I've seen my fair share of that, beautiful innocent beasts being put to death in my arms at the old age of 2years.

Anyway, unless you can find some form of official power and backing giving you the rights to use your own initiative, you will get nowhere on this matter, just create the same old same old cirlce that Mr avg Dominican is unable to comprehend and a pet will make him no money at all, only cost him.

Now if you want to talk Dog fighting, this is a dififferent matter altogether and huge amounts of money cross the table, I think we all know the kind of people who are involved in this and so never in a million years will this be stopped,, not withough full armed backup from an outside force so the info doesn't get leeked out.. Heavy sentences and lifetime bans.
Although as dog fighting is very much accepted in the DR, who am I kidding that even with this super backing we could get under the radar. The high steppers are the ones making money, these are under complete control of this scene.
Anyway, enough I'm trying to chill a little doday:smoke:

Your charitable work in the UK sounds admirable and I am sure benefited many but, as we would all agree, the plight of some animals here in the DR is on a much more severe and massive scale. Because there are so many, does that make it right to ignore them ALL? If each and every animal lover does a little something for a few then those few will benefit which surely must be a good thing.

I do not agree that all Dominicans have little or no respect for their animals but the majority do not have the same feeling towards 'pets' as we experienced in our home countries but it is a different culture and we are never going to completely change that attitude.

The work done by AAAS (Friends of the Animals of Sosua) has done incredible work which has made a HUGE difference along the North coast maintaining the health and well-being of many, many dogs and cats and initiated the control of indiscriminate breeding via the extensive spay/ neuter programme. The education of the young people on how to treat and care for their pets is just another area that the Association is supporting and facilitating. Full details of these initiative can be read on their website and on other threads on these forums.

The Dominican owner of Luca has another dog already which he looks after well. He openly admitted that he did not have the funds to also feed a Dobermann adequately and, therefore, I doubt that your assumption that he will immediately acquire another dog is correct.

No, we don't want to talk dog fighting or cock fighting or bull fighting thank you.

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
Awareness is the best friend when it comes to animal protection and to get kids especially to understand that they are not just something to pick up and then drop when we feel we have had enough.
The good old slogan,'Adog is not just for Xmas, it's for life' was the start of a massive movement in the UK towards animal care andd awareness.
I dunno, maybe if you could find some car boot sales and get people to donate old stuff to sell, a nice kennel could be built to house many that otherwise go to slaughter. If the money did come together I have no problem overseeing the building process free of charge on my weekends. Dry Kennels are very very cheap to build.

Thank you for your offer but I don't have the desire or financial ability to support a kennel full of doggies so will just continue to do my little bit as and when I have the opportunity.

I previously forgot to post the website address of AAAS which is Asociaci?n De Amigos Por Los Animales De Sos?a, Inc.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
The Dominican owner of Luca has another dog already which he looks after well. He openly admitted that he did not have the funds to also feed a Dobermann adequately and, therefore, I doubt that your assumption that he will immediately acquire another dog is correct.

No, we don't want to talk dog fighting or cock fighting or bull fighting thank you.

just out of curiosity? He got another dog afther you bought Luca... ???

oops... I misunderstood.. sorry about that... you are referring to the other dog he has

whirleybird

Silver
Feb 27, 2006
just out of curiosity? He got another dog afther you bought Luca... ???

oops... I misunderstood.. sorry about that... you are referring to the other dog he has

Apologies if I did not make that point too clear. He has had the other dog some considerable time, probably in excess of a year now.