Another moto fatality

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
This morning in Andres some guy doing wheelies killed my son's brother's friend. The friend, who had a wife and kids and was about 50, was just standing near an entrance to get to work. This friend had helped my son's brother when he was sick. Now he is gone and a wife and kids are without support, all because some a-hole lost control of his moto doing wheelies. Just an incredible f-ing waste. :mad:😢

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
Terrible waste, as you say. A while back I saw a guy crash into a car while doing a wheelie. People helped him up and got him back onto the lightly damaged bike and he sped off - doing a wheelie!

• Angry
Reactions: NanSanPedro

josh2203

Bronze
Dec 5, 2013
May that victim RIP.

Almost every weekend, a local newspaper in POP publishes photos and stories of recent accidents. Almost always, motos with young men between 18 and 25 yo are involved. My wife's sister's eldest just turned 18 recently. As far as I know, they have absolutely no desire to get him anything motorized and I'm proud of them for that... On another note, the other day while exiting the city towards Cofresi, a full patana (might be spelling that incorrectly) entered the city, fully loaded with new shiny motos... POP does not need any more motos...

chico bill

Dogs Better than People
May 6, 2016
This morning in Andres some guy doing wheelies killed my son's brother's friend. The friend, who had a wife and kids and was about 50, was just standing near an entrance to get to work. This friend had helped my son's brother when he was sick. Now he is gone and a wife and kids are without support, all because some a-hole lost control of his moto doing wheelies. Just an incredible f-ing waste. :mad:😢
Sorry to hear. But is not your son's brother, not your son or stepson ?
Anyone doing a wheelie should have their bike seized with no chance of getting it back

bienamor

Kansas redneck an proud of it
Apr 23, 2004
and the younger kids see it think it's cool so wheels on bicycles. catch the ones on motos, take the moto run it through a crusher an make the riders do community service for a couple of months, if anyone was hurt charge them with reckless endangerment. I got a sister in law whos leg an foot will never be right after one of these Aholes hit her while doing a wheele.

NanSanPedro

Nickel with tin plating
Apr 12, 2019
Boca Chica
yeshaiticanprogram.com
Sorry to hear. But is not your son's brother, not your son or stepson ?
Anyone doing a wheelie should have their bike seized with no chance of getting it back

Agree. If there was a park way out in the middle of nowhere, I can see it. But not in crowded areas. My son and his brother are going to the home at 1PM today. I'll know more when they return.

My son is adopted from Haiti. I didn't adopt the entire family of 12 brothers/sisters, just Kenson. His natural dad died when he was 13. He was living with his grandad in San Pedro under less than optimal circumstances (he was a somewhat cared for restavek). His older brother lives and works here in Boca Chica which is why we're here, I have been to visit his mom and other siblings' home in the mountains of southern Haiti. Never going back, but I continue to help them monthly.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sorry to hear this, very sad.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Common knowledge that the highways are one of the largest cause of deaths in the DR.
Kids will be kids and put a kid on a moto and accidents are what happens.
The DR has let the outrageous number of deaths go on for ages and done nothing.
There is next to zero effective traffic enforcement.

If the DR aggressively wrote traffic citations the amount of money raised and lives saved would be enormous.

Could we give the politicians a percent of every ticket written?
Maybe have enough left over to pay the police a living wage?

• Sad
Reactions: Caonabo

CristoRey

Welcome To Wonderland
Apr 1, 2014
Could we give the politicians a percent of every ticket written?
Dumbest thing I've heard you say this month. This way of thinking is a HUGE part of the problem(s) this country has to deal with.
It should go to education, education
and education. Can't for the life me understand the eat, drink, shit, sleep...
wash and repeat mentality of some people who live here.
SMH.

Reactions: johne and Caonabo

drstock

Silver
Oct 29, 2010
Cabarete
There is next to zero effective traffic enforcement.

If the DR aggressively wrote traffic citations the amount of money raised and lives saved would be enormous.
I agree with that. If I go a few miles an hour over the speed limit on a straight road without much traffic I get a ticket.

Yet motos only seemed to get stopped for lacking helmets and papers - no problem driving dangerously in busy streets.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Dumbest thing I've heard you say this month. This way of thinking is a HUGE part of the problem(s) this country has to deal with.
It should go to education, education
and education. Can't for the life me understand the eat, drink, shit, sleep...
wash and repeat mentality of some people who live here.
SMH.
And its only the beginning of the month.

You " HEARD" me say?
Off topic hallucinations have nothing to do with motos or highway deaths in the DR.

Reactions: CristoRey

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
I agree with that. If I go a few miles an hour over the speed limit on a straight road without much traffic I get a ticket.

Yet motos only seemed to get stopped for lacking helmets and papers - no problem driving dangerously in busy streets.
Surprised to read you get ticketed.
Usually the traffic police stop gringos looking for a tip.
The round up and confiscation of motos is a regular event in Sosua. Cops load dozens on a gua gua and haul them off.
Small fine and its biz as usual.
Agree that the way some motos drive on busy streets is beyond reckless.

Sadly there is no political will to make a change.
The government seems to have a distinct humanitarian bent regarding the CV crisis yet highway deaths are ignored.

malko

Campesino !! :)
Jan 12, 2013
Nothing to do with education, it all bottles down to the application of the laws.

Until laws are actually applied, to everybody everytime, people will take their chances and do whatever pleases them.

Dominicans are champions of making up dozens and dozens of laws, but rubbish at actually applying them.

I would bet we are all guilty of flouting traffic laws more or less regularly, like overtaking on the right hand side of the road, speeding, drinking and driving ---- some times simultaneously, using the horn excessively, having excessively dark tinted windows, etc.......
Not because we don't know better, but solely because we can, without consequences.

Big

Apr 24, 2019
drinking and driving is a national sport here. Ahead of baseball. There used to be a large movie theater size screen in Puerto Plata in a gas station parking lot. Countless would sit in their cars and on motos drinking beer and rum watching a game. After the game they would burn rubber out of the lot.

• Angry

Drperson

Sep 19, 2008
It is so very sad. Two young kids one about 13 theother 16-18 killed last week here doing wheelies and hit each other
I so worry about my children with these lunitics on the road

• Sad

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
The police have confiscated thousands and thousands of motorcycles.
The problem is how easy they are to buy. A few thousand pesos down payment and they're on their way without insurance. Up to the rider to get it which they never do.
There are enough motorcycles stolen every day to produce a healthy supply of them to whoever gets a few pesos together and buys one.
You don't see many persons riding a new motorcycle doing wheelies and reckless driving. It's the clowns riding bikes thrown together from pieces and unregistered bikes who are the culprits.

melphis

Living my Dream
Apr 18, 2013
It is so very sad. Two young kids one about 13 theother 16-18 killed last week here doing wheelies and hit each other
I so worry about my children with these lunitics on the

They hit each other head on?? Either karma is happening big time or just thinning the herd. Who does wheelies head on with another bike doing the same stupid shit.

Hate to say it but at least the didn't take out some innocent bystander.

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
They hit each other head on?? Either karma is happening big time or just thinning the herd. Who does wheelies head on with another bike doing the same stupid shit.

Hate to say it but at least the didn't take out some innocent bystander.

Not this time.

Reactions: bienamor