Another Positive Step Forward For Tourism

Jan 9, 2004

With all the new projects approved and others being built, this government seems to be pushing hard to increase tourism to the DR.

The other large scale event for promoting more tourism could come by reducing those airline ticket taxes the DR collects and making the destination more attractive from a price point perspective.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Reactions: reilleyp

reilleyp

Dec 12, 2006
How would this work in practice? They said ITBIS will be refunded. Will it be refunded or they simply will not charge me the 18% tax? Seems like this would lead to a lot of abuse. I could imagine every Dominican that I know would ask me to purchase the large ticket items for them, so they could avoid the tax also. Am I reading this correctly?

Reactions: David B

JD Jones

Moderator:North Coast,Santo Domingo,SW Coast,Covid
Jan 7, 2016
How would this work in practice? They said ITBIS will be refunded. Will it be refunded or they simply will not charge me the 18% tax? Seems like this would lead to a lot of abuse. I could imagine every Dominican that I know would ask me to purchase the large ticket items for them, so they could avoid the tax also. Am I reading this correctly?
Learn to say "No"

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
Many countries have VAT taxes.
For those with extensive travel experience like I have here is how the process works:

I have kept my receipts for large purchases of luxury goods that I was able to purchase at a lower price than in my home country. When i would leave the country on the way out you stop by a desk and present your receipts and picture of the items your purchased and received your refund.
Here in the 🇩🇴 I imagine that you would be able to do the same thing once they have set it up.

Go get your refund of ITBIS then use the pesos you receive to pay your overstay fee.
🤪

David B

Aug 31, 2017
This is what I wanna know! I'm still waiting for my Property Tax Rebate from the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania and I wouldn't compare the DR with PA!

• Haha
Reactions: Yourmaninvegas
Jan 9, 2004
If they follow the VAT script from elsewhere, they will have a list of goods that do not qualify. It may be hard to explain that the washer, refrigerator, car, etc., was purchased as goods and or services as a "tourist."

Also there likely will be cap on how much ITBIS you can receive back.

I do hope that they make the refund process as simple and expeditious as possible. My sense from dealing with almost anyone in government there is that the processes are not always simple nor expeditious.

Respectfully,
Playacaribe2

Yourmaninvegas

Feb 16, 2016
-
I do hope that they make the refund process as simple and expeditious as possible.
I personally think you will have better luck with teaching a pig to sing. And even that activity is something that wastes your time and annoys the pig.😂
My sense from dealing with almost anyone in government there is that the processes are not always simple nor expeditious.
If they make it easy (like paying your overstay fee) every thing should go smoothly.

But most government are not trying to give your money back without making your jump through a few hoop and over a few hurdles. After all they already have your money. All it takes is a little delay while the clock is ticking for wheels up of your flight to make you give up on the entire process.

And unless you are a frequent visitor...why should the 🇩🇴GOV care❓