another shoe leather beef experience

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
yes, well, see, I don't NEED any help on how to make the imported beef taste good.. at $11 a pound it should cook itself. Heck, at 440 a pound I can eat out and get waited on! the problem I was having was with the shoe leather..

yes, well, see, My post wasn't meant for YOU ONLY........
Maybe 1 (one) person out there besides YOU is reading DR1.....
And just maybe my post helped ANOTHER and didn't offend them.........
There are people here that maybe NEEDED my info...
B in Santiago

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
I purchase the Imported rib eye from El National, they are currently selling for 440 a pound and they are fantastic. That is approx. $11.30 a pound U.S and worth every penny. I broil in a very good toaster oven on the broil setting (upper burner) and place the tray right up against it, turns out perfect. That with a bowl of home made French fries and a fresh veggie hits the spot.
Now the best Chirrasco steak, Imported also (don't think I spelled right)(also know as skirt steak) is sold by La Sirena (formerly Polla) Not the one on Calle Del Sol...., and you don't even need a knife to cut, fork only.

B in Santiago
And WayToGo makes the "Best" home made French Fries in the D.R.

D in Santiago

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I'm going to try the salt idea....just as I was thinking "never salt meat before grilling because it draws out the moisture" the author made a great point that the extra time with salt on sort of has the opposite effect, maybe somewhat akin to dry aging...

Also, most commercial meat tenderizers (Like Lawry's/Adolf's) use papain, from papayas. Pineapple and ginger also have great tenderizing properties. Most marinades, including citrus based ones, tend to flavor the meat, but not really tenderize it, IMO.

At the end of the day though, it's pretty tough (pun intended) to get beef from Dominican Cattle to taste like aged, corn-fed beef...but Ive found local filet/tenderloin and veal to be the best to work with...and in most cases much better than just "ok"...

On the bright side, grass-fed, less fatty beef is certainly better for you!

Just wondering... where do you buy the veal?

May 29, 2006
An hour simmer is usually not enough to tenderize a bad cut. When I make a beef guisado, I typically simmer it for 3-4 hours depending on the cut and thickness of the meat. 5 hours won't hurt it. I'll use whole chuck or round, depending what is cheapest. I add in whole garlic, onions, salt and cumin and maybe some salsa inglis/chino. Sometimes I'll puree a can of roasted peppers for some extra flavor. When it's done, I pull out the beef chunks, then partially puree the other ingredients with a stick blender. The tougher the cut, the better the flavor. If I have time, I'll chill everything then remove the fatcap from the top. The broth should be gelatinous when it's cooled.

The water doesn't have to be boiling, but it should be at least 140 degrees. A crock pot is great for this or you can use the rice cooker on the hold setting after bringing it to a boil.

IMHO, The best cut of beef if you can get is called the "hanger steak," which is sometimes called a "butcher steak". In Spanish it's called solomillo de pulmon. Where does it come from? Well there's only one per cow, but it's not what you might think...

Hanger steak - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Does he serve them with Hellman's or Heinz?

That would be like killing the taste of a great seasoned steak with A1 sauce.

WayToGo's steaks would really taste great on a sandwich made with 100% Whole Wheat bread from La Panera.

Just tried the bread with some fried salami "Tipo Argentino" last night, it was great!

D in Santiago

May 29, 2006
My favorite add on for grilled beef is Montreal Steak Seasoning. I can get it locally for about $7 for a pound bottle. Great balance of garlic, cracked black pepper, kosher salt, and numerous other spices.

One thing I hate is that grey dust that passes for pepper in the DR.

The Argentinians are the world masters of cooking beef. Cooking over wood fires makes all the difference.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:
The only cut of meat I have found to being even close to the US is Filet de Res. It is equivalent to a tenderloin. Ask for that cut of beef and I think you will be happy.

S

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010