Another wind farm for the DR underway

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
There are plenty of these posted in this very DR1 forum Gorgojos, seek them!

Energy pellets that can be burned as it they were charcoal...

All from renewable sources! Before these alternates can become abundant enough, the demand must be there installed to be commercially viable in large scale.

That's why the DR picked this plant over other offered by the U.S. when they came to visit and push their companies here.

Mainly GE wanted to build their next generation Natural Gas plant here.

It was decided that until the Natural Gas Pipelines was installed from the facility where it stands now to the interior, such plant would be too expensive to finance until it became commercially viable.

We asked about financing included for the pipeline to the plant from our U.S. friends and the answer was it had to be done from a secondary deal in the commercial banking system.

The answer was this plant!

actually, i already sought them. years ago. this is why i asked you which pellets you are talking about.

i wont bother to discuss this with you. we have been down this road too many times. biodiesel was going to have hit it big by 2010. that is a lost cause. MSW was going to be the next big thing. that was to have come on stream around the same time frame. now we hear that wood chip and sawdust pellets are going to be used in the coal plants.

keep this stuff going, PICHARDO. i need laughs, every so often.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Coal is abundant, cheap and is the best choice for a developing country. If the developing country is located close to the USA whose coal producers are all heading towards bancruptcy, then it is an even better choice.

popeye

Bronze
Jan 22, 2016
they are . I was able to see them and touch up close in Houston. I think they are made in east texas or la

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Prince Edward Island is Canada's smallest province. It has limited space for waste disposal landfills. Charlottetown, it's Capitol city installed a fluidized bed incinerator years ago to burn waste efficiently and produce steam which is used to heat government buildings. It was a joint federal, provincial, municipal test project. The steam could also be used to run turbines to produce electricity. The potential for waste disposal reduction in the DR is significant if the government adapted this technology. However it would require sorting facilities to ensure plastics didn't enter the incinerators. Plastic can be burnt but the cost of the plant rises significantly because specialized equipment has to be installed to ensure the toxic components of the plastics are totally incinerated or captured and neutralized. The plant in PEI is installed in the middle of the city and emissions are tightly monitored by both federal and provincial agencies. No emission problems so far and the plant has paid for itself. Every time I drive by the closed dump site near the cruise ship dock, it boggles my mind. All that biomass going to waste in a country where electrical generation is needed.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Prince Edward Island is Canada's smallest province. It has limited space for waste disposal landfills. Charlottetown, it's Capitol city installed a fluidized bed incinerator years ago to burn waste efficiently and produce steam which is used to heat government buildings. It was a joint federal, provincial, municipal test project. The steam could also be used to run turbines to produce electricity. The potential for waste disposal reduction in the DR is significant if the government adapted this technology. However it would require sorting facilities to ensure plastics didn't enter the incinerators. Plastic can be burnt but the cost of the plant rises significantly because specialized equipment has to be installed to ensure the toxic components of the plastics are totally incinerated or captured and neutralized. The plant in PEI is installed in the middle of the city and emissions are tightly monitored by both federal and provincial agencies. No emission problems so far and the plant has paid for itself. Every time I drive by the closed dump site near the cruiylse ship dock, it boggles my mind. All that biomass going to waste in a country where electrical generation is needed.

Check...this is happening in San Pedro where waste is being recycled.

http://www.listindiario.com/economi...ran-electricidad-a-traves-de-residuos-solidos

DR is not that backward when environmental issues are concerned.....except those damn coal plants...

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
What happened to the electrical generating plant near the malecon in Pureto Plata? The story I heard was the pollution was a problem, especially in Costambar. A company was contracted to install equipment to capture the emissions and the plant never worked right after that.

spmc

Nov 7, 2008
Wind will not provide the DR (or any country) reliable power to grow their economies and improve the quality of life for their citizens...generating the wealth that allows societies to preserve their environments.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Wind will not provide the DR (or any country) reliable power to grow their economies and improve the quality of life for their citizens...generating the wealth that allows societies to preserve their environments.

The test will be if this sustainable electricity provided to the impoverished provinces in the south west by 3 wind farm projects so far, will be a seed for further and bigger eco developments....many of which are on the drawing board.......in this most beautiful part the country, which supposedly is the next focus of significant development.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Excellent! Are there plans to do expand this to other areas in the DR?

Only one biomass according to the attached report today......but they refer to current projects which represent one third of the renewables planned/targeted. All good stuff though.

http://acento.com.do/2016/economia/...ra-resalta-apoyo-cdeee-a-energias-renovables/

Government is even spinning on the new coal plants being built at Punta Catalina.........in that the new plants will be more efficient and will take out more polluting old plants......

http://acento.com.do/2016/economia/8331602-8331602/

Ecoman1949

Born to Ride.
Oct 17, 2015
Only one biomass according to the attached report today......but they refer to current projects which represent one third of the renewables planned/targeted. All good stuff though.

http://acento.com.do/2016/economia/...ra-resalta-apoyo-cdeee-a-energias-renovables/

Government is even spinning on the new coal plants being built at Punta Catalina.........in that the new plants will be more efficient and will take out more polluting old plants......

http://acento.com.do/2016/economia/8331602-8331602/

A lot of coal fired plants in North America are being phased out for several reasons. Cheaper and more plentiful natural gas due to fracking (this will diminish over time), the high cost and maintainence of emissions control equipment to capture the fly ash and the landfill space required to dispose of it and, here's the big reason, the looming carbon taxes on the political horizon.

If the DR government can get access to low sulfur coal at reasonable prices and the new plants have the proper emissions capture equipment installed and maintained properly ( all big ifs) then the footprint of the plants will be reduced significantly. The impact of fly ash disposal can be mitigated by mixing it with concrete and other methods. I doubt the DR government will impose carbon taxes.

ju10prd

On Vacation!
Nov 19, 2014
Accountkiller
Deep Seawater & sustainable develoment in DR

I wonder if any developers or indeed service providers have considered using cold deep sea water from the sea depths around the country .

This is a very interesting set of new technologies (they have been used in Hawaii and Bora Bora for some time) that are now being considered for a number of Caribbean islands and developments.

Interacting cold deep sea water and warm sea water can and does produce electricity and cold seawater is very effective in air conditioning systems. Interacting warm and cold allows the production of drinking water. Cold sea water can also be used for agriculture to produce crops from temperate climates and for aquaculture because of the rich nutrients found at depth.

There is a high capital cost putting in the pipework to the deep seawater and the on land (or offshore) operational plant but after that your electricity, air conditioning, drinking water and so on is essentially low cost therafter.