Any advice on airport transfers??

kelleygirl

Apr 6, 2005
Hello,

I'm going to be traveling to the Dominican Republic in April for a week. This will be my second visit to this beautiful country, and I want to make sure that I do everything right this time...

Can anyone tell me what the best suggestion for traveling from the airport (SDQ) to the Barcelo Colonia Tropical in Juan Dolio/Villas del Mar?

When I stayed last year, I hailed a taxi at the airport and payed about $50 USD to transport 2 people. I know that I got robbed, so what would be a better solution? I do not want to rent a car for the whole week, and from the research I have done, the only car rental facility where I could drop off the car is Avis, and the only vehicle they have available is an SUV which is not necessary for 2 people.

Any help would be appreciated!!

Thanks,
Kelley :alien:

ricktoronto

Grande Pollo en Boca Chica
Jan 9, 2002
Here's some advice - make one post about your trip to Juan Dolio and ask the 83 questions vs. the 83 posts about the same trip.

This will sound odd but you take a taxi, not unlike every other city on earth. Figure about $40 or so, negotiate in Spanish and stick with a firm price. Since it is about a 50 Km trip you didn't get ripped off for $50. Try travelling 30+ miles in a taxi where you live, with cheaper gas for $50.

Due to the overall obscene price and the cost of gas and the generally lunatic drivers on the road with you , renting is a bad and unnecessary choice. If $50 upsets you $300 will for sure as the car sits there 90% of the time.

kelleygirl

Apr 6, 2005
ricktoronto said:
Here's some advice - make one post about your trip to Juan Dolio and ask the 83 questions vs. the 83 posts about the same trip.

This will sound odd but you take a taxi, not unlike every other city on earth. Figure about $40 or so, negotiate in Spanish and stick with a firm price. Since it is about a 50 Km trip you didn't get ripped off for $50. Try travelling 30+ miles in a taxi where you live, with cheaper gas for $50.

Due to the overall obscene price and the cost of gas and the generally lunatic drivers on the road with you , renting is a bad and unnecessary choice. If $50 upsets you $300 will for sure as the car sits there 90% of the time.

Thanks for your advice, but this is the first time on this site and I wasn't sure if I'd be following the "rules" if I posted all of my questions on the same post. If it's annoying you that I am inquisitive, don't read the post. I am just trying to get some answers to some questions that I obviously don't know the answers to.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
kelleygirl said:
Thanks for your advice, but this is the first time on this site and I wasn't sure if I'd be following the "rules" if I posted all of my questions on the same post. If it's annoying you that I am inquisitive, don't read the post. I am just trying to get some answers to some questions that I obviously don't know the answers to.

No it would be better to do a post saying first time to Juan Dolio -Advice? - and then ask about the airport, taxi, lesbians, fun, food, etc.... and then it allows all the replies in one thread about the area.

However you did better than many who post the SAME question in every forum in the place - since regulars with a few posts like me and HB, AZB, Anna C, ....etc. read the new posts since last time and thus, you see everything regardless of the area where it was posted.

Take a taxi, it is easier and alternatives are really not that easy for a newbie - taxi, then a gua gua, etc., truly not worth the hassle. But get a set price in $US, write it down if you have to so the driver isn't "forgetful" at arrival and you will be there in about 35 minutes.

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
drloca said:
Book ahead on www.dominicantaxi.com and pay $30 for this trip, may as well save some money! Even with a tip for the driver, you will still come out ahead!

Let me guess you are this company and too cheap to pay for advertising since you are posting these ads in several locations - so how can it be a ridiculous $25 to Boca Chica (your other post) and only $5 more for three times the distance farther all the way to Juan Dolio???

drloca

Silver
Oct 26, 2004
ricktoronto said:
Let me guess you are this company and too cheap to pay for advertising since you are posting these ads in several locations - so how can it be a ridiculous $25 to Boca Chica (your other post) and only $5 more for three times the distance farther all the way to Juan Dolio???

No, I am not this company, I work in healthcare in Toronto and a gentleman by the name of Rafael Silva is the owner of this company. No, I dont receive kickbacks or anything else you may be thinking , but since I am down in the DR every 2-3 months and use this service on most trips, I am very familiar with it. If one receives good service, the best compliment they can "pay" that company is to recommend it to others!
If you disbelieve the rates I quoted, go online and check the prices for yourself!
Again, why are you so disturbed by this?
If you sought advise and came out ahead able to save a buck and not be "taken for a ride", wouldnt you appreciate it??

FireGuy

Rest in peace Amigo!
Aug 21, 2002
www.polaris-fs.com
I too can reiterate that Rafael Silva is a reliable and fair source of taxi transfers; especially in the south. He has been recommended by and to the members at Debbie's Dominican Travel for years (including Debbie herself) and I have yet to hear of a complaint - let alone that his services are too inexpensive.

His drivers are on time and are courteous. If there is a complaint at all it would be that it would be nice to have his drivers speak a bit of English - which you cannot count on; but then it is a great incentive to learn a bit of Spanish. Most clouds have a bit of a silver lining.

BTW Rick, what I see here is not ?posting these ads in several locations? but word of mouth recommendations by satisfied customers ? there is quite a difference as a wordsmith such as you should know.

Mi dos pesos.

Gregg

ricktoronto

Jan 9, 2002
The rate to Boca Chica is too much and yet the rate beyond that to Juan Dolio seems to be too little. I guess it is a bad choice for the former and a good one for the latter then. No reason to overpay nearly 50% for a 10 minute ride to Boca Chica.