Anybody use a dash cam?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i'd like to have one for entertainment purposes. miesposo could benefit form if since he drives a lot because of work and it could make any accident related claims easier. i would not think that cops here would pay any attention to the dash cam, they may not even know what the hell is that. that gizmo posted by hernandez does not look like much like a camera.

Hernandez

Banned
Feb 9, 2009
Actually, that camera already helped me once in Santo Domingo. It was not a traffic accident, but anyway... I was on the bank's parking lot, and then the automatic barrier hit my truck when I was right under the barrier. I asked for the compensation, since their barrier damaged the paint. They tried to tell me that it was my fault, and that the barrier hit the truck because I started to move in reverse after passing it, that was not true. Anyway, after I said that I have the video proof that I was moving forward when it happened, and after I demonstrated the dash cam to them, they changed their mind, and they said that I can go to any car paint shop to make a quote. I sent the quote to them by email, and in one week they gave me a check for 5500 pesos for repair.

ccarabella

Feb 5, 2002
I've been driving in DR since I was 14 and have seen more guts and brain matter than I care to discuss. This is precisely the reason I want a dash cam. While it won't avoid an accident it may just give me that tiny cushion of protection perhaps maybe some entertainment.

I used to drive around with my 8mm camcorder back in the 90's recording our road trips and clubbing days. You should see some of the roads. Many of them no longer exist. Some are still the same.

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
After reading this thread back in November and seeing the link to FoxOffer, I ordered the GT680W with GPS. The video is amazing as shown below in a stop frame image.

(PS: The curves at the top & bottom of the screens is my window tint)

Note also that the actual images are clearer/sharper then the reproduced images shown below.

The following image is viewing with Windows Photo Viewer.
5pihpg.jpg

The following image is from the included application they provide to view the videos.
I changed the display in viewer to M/H from KMH (Camera I had set for KMH)
wgt9q1.png

Lothario666

Bronze
Oct 16, 2012
Sorry, but what's a dashcam?
A small video recorder that usually mounts to the windshield with suction cup mount.
They start automatically when the car starts and stops when you turn off the ignition.

The GT680W as I posted above also shows GPS co-ordinates and speed.

On playback using the included video software, mine also shows a Google map and a pointer following the highlighted route driven as the video plays. Even out in the campo (Villa Boa, Santiago), the Google map showed the actual streets I was driving on. My unit (GT680W) is smaller then a pack of cigarettes and records at 1080p, also has audio on the recording. Price of mine with free shipping is about $125, without a mini-SD card. I have a 32gb mini SD card in mine.

The 1080p video is simply amazing.

On stop motion playback for instance, as a motor bike was coming towards me and I stopped it at the last second he was passing, I could almost tell you the color of his eyes (lol). No blur in the images, a perfect still shot.

On one playback, I could see the eyes of a woman follow the car as she was passing the car.

I wish all my cameras had such great quality.