Anyone Buy a TV Lately?

bigbird

Gold
May 1, 2005
Where did you buy it?

Bigbird said they could have bought it on Amazon but bought it here.

The shipping prices I got were from NY to anywhere in the DR.

I bought the TV a few days ago from Plaza Lama on 27 de febrero in Santo Domingo Centro. As I said it is a basic TV without all the bells and whistles but a model I am happy with. The TV is not 120 Hz refresh, not a smart TV, no wireless internet.....but a very nice picture which is all I really care about.

The TV sells on Amazon with free shipping in the states for $499. To ship door to door from NYC area add another $500. Grand total $1,000. I paid a tiny bit under $1,000 to purchase the TV here, and to repeat it is NOT refurbished.

I know, I know some will say a guarantee in the DR is useless. Is that much different than having no guarantee at all if shipping from the states. At least buying here I could purchase with Amex and they are great on backing up guarantees.

waytogo

Moderator - North Coast Forum
Apr 3, 2009
Santiago DR
I was looking at the TV's at the same store Friday night........
they had a great selection with some realistic pricing........for here.......

B in Santiago

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
If TV looks good and has good image, works for me. I don't care about bells ans whistles, it is not a train, it's a TV...
Me, I love going to the store, look a it carefully, compare it to the others, have the adrenalin rush before saying "I'll take it". Nothing beats that. But that's just me...

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I bought the TV a few days ago from Plaza Lama on 27 de febrero in Santo Domingo Centro. As I said it is a basic TV without all the bells and whistles but a model I am happy with. The TV is not 120 Hz refresh, not a smart TV, no wireless internet.....but a very nice picture which is all I really care about.

The TV sells on Amazon with free shipping in the states for $499. To ship door to door from NYC area add another $500. Grand total $1,000. I paid a tiny bit under $1,000 to purchase the TV here, and to repeat it is NOT refurbished.

I know, I know some will say a guarantee in the DR is useless. Is that much different than having no guarantee at all if shipping from the states. At least buying here I could purchase with Amex and they are great on backing up guarantees.

they have guarantees in the DR? seriously?

Castle

Silver
Sep 1, 2012
they have guarantees in the DR? seriously?

I can't tell about the long-term warranty. But I when I got my Sony Bravia from Plaza Lama, I got home and it didn't work. I went back inmediately and returned. Walked away with another one the same day. This one worked fine, and still does 3 years later.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I can't tell about the long-term warranty. But I when I got my Sony Bravia from Plaza Lama, I got home and it didn't work. I went back inmediately and returned. Walked away with another one the same day. This one worked fine, and still does 3 years later.

lucky for you it apparently was broken when you bought it. somehow, i think things would not have been that fortuitous if it had broken a month later.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
lucky for you it apparently was broken when you bought it. somehow, i think things would not have been that fortuitous if it had broken a month later.

Never had a problem with Corripio one year guarantee in Puerto Plata with two different products. 48 Vizio flat screen TV was replaced (black shadow on screen) after 6 months, as well as giving me a loaner for over a week as they had to send the TV to Santiago for repairs. Also, with the duel washing machine the spinner stopped working and they gave me a new unit after 3 months. Not sure what other locations are like, but in POP they stand behind their guarantee.

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Corripios warrently loos good and I like they will come to your house within the first year to fix a 32" or bigger tv:
Google Translate
Now I just have to figure out where they are in POP.
I wonder if they pricematch?

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
Anyone Buy a Nikkei La Sirena TV?

Picture is great. One year La Sirena warrenty. Trying to figure out who makes it.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
I bought a 48" Samsung Smart TV Series 5200 from Corripio in San Pedro de Macoris last week for 33,800 pesos. The next morning there was a flyer in the newspaper for the very same TV, advertising the special price of 29,995 pesos. Needless to say, my morning coffee went flying.
Not all Corripio stores have the products that the website offers, and the prices do fluctuate.

sanpedrogringo

I love infractions!
Sep 2, 2011
With that said, I still "trust" the products that Corripio sells. I've never had a problem with them regarding their merchandise. Shady salesman padding their commissions is the second oldest profession in the world.