Anyone had dengue more than once?

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
I have had it, my partner has had it, and it's only a matter of time before one of us gets it again!

please! don't even do BS thinking like that! no need to be so pessimistic!
if you have a house with the garden fumigate regularly.
fumigate inside with one of those commercially available sprays, twice a week is fine.
spray your ankles and other sensitive areas with repellent.
install mosquito screens in doors and windows.
use mosquito nets for sleeping.
burn a mosquito coil in the living room in the afternoons.
use fans or AC in the bedroom at night.

just protect yourself. i have been here over 6 years and i never had dengue, neither did miesposo. and i know we have at home them little tiger mosquitoes.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
a friend of mine who lives in NAco has had it twice... He is young and handsome so one assumes that he is invited to the campo in punta cana or punto sucio or wherever

do not think that they have many dengue breeding spots in naco

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
fumigate inside with one of those commercially available sprays, twice a week is fine.

just protect yourself. i have been here over 6 years and i never had dengue, neither did miesposo. and i know we have at home them little tiger mosquitoes.
i would not fumigate as it will kill the other insects which your garden needs to thrive

you should have a fumigatore in the house

tobacco keeps them away
as does
patchouli oil

just burn them in your house or patio.

the french have used them for years

and they have a lovely garden. no?

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
tobacco kills says the buy

no
tobacco is a plant you are smoking it wrong

if you did it into your lungs then you get addicted if it does not go through the body either like a pipe or cigar

france is supposed to have the best medical system in the world and all the french i know smoke like chimmineres

but i mostly know the artists and we are already stressed to the max at birth here on the planet Urantia

Koreano

Bronze
Jan 18, 2012

My home is well protected but my work place is different story. I had been spraying with stuff I brought from States but those suckers have me for their feasts all the time especially whenever it rains or whenever I put in our regular hours of*7am*to 9-10pm. Like I said before on other post some are biting through shirts and even jeans. :-(

ROLLOUT

Silver
Jan 30, 2012
I've only had it once and hope I never get it again. The pain was excruciating, especially behind my eyes. For me the downside was that you can't take anything for the pain except paracetamol (acetaminophen) which didn't give any relief. If you take other pain killers such as NSADs like ibuprofen or Aleive you run the risk of haemorrhaging which can be very bad news.

The mozzies that give you dengue are the ones that bite during the day. They are usually the bigger black ones with the the black and white stripy back legs. I think I contracted dengue when we stopped in the Bahamas for a fuel stop / bathroom break when flying up to the US. If you think the mozzies are voracious in the DR, go to the Stella Maris in the Bahamas, then you know what it feels like to be eaten alive!
Done stella, south Bimini, etc; have to say that Great Inagua was THE worst. lather up in 98% deet before leaving the hotel, but within a hour, you've sweated it off, and those "birds of prey" are ready for lift-off.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
i found a dominican product that does the job well. it is desporte and comes in a spray bottle. ask for desporte repelente because the same company makes also deodorants and talc, all called, of course, desporte...

in any case, the spray is quite greasy and it will, literally, take the paint off your car and the polish off your nails. i am not joking. spray a bit over the legs and arms and then rub in. wash your hands afterwards. twice. do not touch your face. in order to protect that it is enough to spray onto your fingers and then pass them around the hair line, be careful not to go close to the eyes, lips or a nose.

it sounds like a substance from hell but i assure you it works. because it is oily it does not absorb fast and it does not come off with sweat. granted, not something you want to splatter over your ass on a daily basis but it is better than dengue.

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
My home is well protected but my work place is different story. I had been spraying with stuff I brought from States but those suckers have me for their feasts all the time especially whenever it rains or whenever I put in our regular hours of*7am*to 9-10pm. Like I said before on other post some are biting through shirts and even jeans. :-(

buy patcholi oil put it on the fan your place smells like a flower not the rotting meat that we are

santo1

May 1, 2011
Same here, I remember thinking I was possibly going to die, quite scary when you actually think that this could really happen, the headaches, phwoa, never in my life experienced anything like that. My doctor told me that you can't get the same strain twice, or at least I thought he'd said that until I see some have had it a few times and aren't yet dead. Not that it matters as there is no cure for any of them, I was just hooked up to a drip and monitored from home with fluid and pain relief which I don't think scratched the surface. I've had a really unwell past few months actually, I seem to constantly have flu or a cold, not been 100% for a while, but dengue......................... you don't know ill till you've been there.

Got it just after hurricane noel 10 days of hell ,platelets down to 30,,i to could not move an eyebrow,you know the difference between this and flue,,,x the flue by a 1000 and your not even close to dengue,i crap myself everytime i get a bite,best thing i ever bought was my mozi net.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
"dv" that sounds like the "stuff" we used in Vietnam!
It would "Melt" anything made of plastic,and take the paint off anything it contacted.
But it sure worked great!
I always thought that if I got into "Hand-To-Hand" combat, I would squirt some in their eyes!
Although it will not prevent "Dengue", I use "Bay Rum" on all insect bites. It makes the "Bite" go away.
Just use it right when you get bit!
Even works on those "Tiny Ant" bites.
CC

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
"dv" that sounds like the "stuff" we used in Vietnam!
It would "Melt" anything made of plastic,and take the paint off anything it contacted.
But it sure worked great!
I always thought that if I got into "Hand-To-Hand" combat, I would squirt some in their eyes!
Although it will not prevent "Dengue", I use "Bay Rum" on all insect bites. It makes the "Bite" go away.
Just use it right when you get bit!
Even works on those "Tiny Ant" bites.
CC

the bite sting is not the issue.. it is the dengue. The dengue mosquito is different from the malaira mosquito. I think that it bites in the daytime?? something odd anyway

the outbreak does not seem to be as bad now.. or maybe just that the cholera is more scary. But even in the main news dengue was headlines for a bout two years from most of Central America.

perhaps.. like lymes disease which was a headline.. the bugs simply won and have kept us out of their last remaining sections of wood land.

for myself, i do not use anything except flower oils. I hold out both my arms and legs when I am at the beach to offer to the hungry ones

when i first went to the tropics in the seventies. i was so allergic to sandflies that the doc told me that i had to either go home or sit on the sand at dusk and let them bite me

i chose the latter