Anyone ship in a motorcycle?

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I'm not surprised that they are being imported. I'm just wondering who the owners are paying to maintain them. The Italian racing bikes are very fickle mistresses. They require unique, expensive maintenance. Ducattis are notoriously expensive to maintain. I remember not too long ago, a guy did a blog about his first 1k miles on his Monster 696, which isn't even one of their finely tuned racing beasts. He listed his maintenance costs, and they were hideous.

With Aprilia, you're also dealing with exclusivity, and few folks outside of the dealers that can actually work on them. I'm thinking of upgrading to a liter bike. And I was considering the Tuono, Aprilia's semi-naked liter bike. However, the dealer nearest me stopped selling and servicing Aprilias. The same dealer boasts a certified Ducatti mechanic. But he won't even touch Aprilias. Long story short, I decided that, while I don't mind driving for an hour to purchase a bike. I'd rather not have to go that far, or pay towing costs, every time I wanted to get my bike serviced.

Maybe, there are Aprilia mechanics in the DR. However, I wouldn't put it past some of the rich jevitos to import a bike with no thought at all to maintaining it.

no different than any other Italian machine. you own a Ferrati, you take the mechanic with you when you go out on a date. if i was a bike kind of guy, i would much rather own a Suzuki or some other straight 4 than the Aprilia; just the sound gets me lively. and they don't break as often.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I didn?t realize M/C racing was that big in the DR Do they race MP, superbike or ? at Las Americas?

Haven?t had that much interest in bike racing, have seen a couple at Daytona and Loudon but hard to see. Are the sight lines And proximity to track good ?

I always wondered something: When they bring those bikes/cars in to race I assume they must be somehow bonded or similar to avoid any type of fees from adunas?

Wasn?t there a young lady who raced bikes posting on here a while back?

they run all kinds of bikes. guys here have really big bucks, and you will be surprised at some of the machines you see there. i went to one race, and this team showed up with 3 brand spanking new Ducati 998s, just coming in from Miami about 2 days before.

May 5, 2007
they run all kinds of bikes. guys here have really big bucks, and you will be surprised at some of the machines you see there. i went to one race, and this team showed up with 3 brand spanking new Ducati 998s, just coming in from Miami about 2 days before.

I loved the "Dukes" and their Desmodromic valve system, sadly the 860 I had used springs Like all Ducati's it felt like you were on rails through the corners, beautiful sound with Dunstall pipes...if only it would have been dependable I was a college student so frequent repairs were not my thing, traded it toward a Z1

Promoters of the races must provide shipping and entry for the racers

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I loved the "Dukes" and their Desmodromic valve system, sadly the 860 I had used springs Like all Ducati's it felt like you were on rails through the corners, beautiful sound with Dunstall pipes...if only it would have been dependable I was a college student so frequent repairs were not my thing, traded it toward a Z1

you should have bought one of these

Kawasaki H2 Mach IV - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

the most beautifil machine on the planet

2012 MV Agusta F4 R Picture - Mbike.com

May 5, 2007
the most beautifil machine on the planet

2012 MV Agusta F4 R Picture - Mbike.com

The outfit I bought the Ducati from was aligned with Berliner who imported a variety of interesting bikes The upside to my Ducati’s frequent in shop experiences was that they gave me “loaner” bikes I got to experience many things from a 1000 Laverda triple, Moto Guzzi, John Player Norton to the very surprising Yamaha 350 damm Yamme ha ha tried to kill me, seeming docile little 350 cc two stroke until it hit about 6000 rpm’s and all hell broke loose

Never saw an Augusta in person, are they same company that makes helicopters?

May 5, 2007
the earlier versions also killed the riders. they could whup a 429 Mustang Mach1 in a straight line, but could not handle for anything.

I never had trouble beating the occasional H2 with the 900, the H2 was faster on paper but I don’t think many of them stayed in tune They handled so bad they were alleged to have a “hinge” in the frame Just an upgrade to famous 500, gas and oil swallowing oil burning straight line wonders

Have you seen any two stroke Kaws running around DR? They were something in their time, compared to todays' stuff........

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
The outfit I bought the Ducati from was aligned with Berliner who imported a variety of interesting bikes The upside to my Ducati’s frequent in shop experiences was that they gave me “loaner” bikes I got to experience many things from a 1000 Laverda triple, Moto Guzzi, John Player Norton to the very surprising Yamaha 350 damm Yamme ha ha tried to kill me, seeming docile little 350 cc two stroke until it hit about 6000 rpm’s and all hell broke loose

i am not sure. a buddy of mine from Guyana who flew Hueys in Vietnam brought back an Augusta from Europe. even then they looked so different than the old Vincents, and Nortons, and Triumphs that i was accustomed to seeing.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
I never had trouble beating the occasional H2 with the 900, the H2 was faster on paper but I don’t think many of them stayed in tune They handled so bad they were alleged to have a “hinge” in the frame Just an upgrade to famous 500, gas and oil swallowing oil burning straight line wonders

Have you seen any two stroke Kaws running around DR? They were something in their time, compared to todays' stuff........

never seen anything 2 stroke other than the 100 and 115 Suzukis and Yamahas here.

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010

remember the Honda race bike with the oval pistons?

oldschool

Oct 9, 2004
No thanks, it went good in a straight line and killed the mosquito?s but other than that it was not so hot It was also out of production The Z1 was in a completely different class at that time

Kawasaki Z1 - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My dad owns one of these. Bought it back in the late 80's I think. Had it even all tuned up and ported and stuff. Rode it back from the shop that did all the work and he has never rode it since. The power band was way too much for him. It's been stored in his garage ever since. He starts it up every year though. The bike looks nice though but it 's more of a museum piece than functional.