Anyone taken a cruise out of Santo Domingo?

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
I understand that Royal Caribbean's Vision of the Seas will not be sailing out of Santo Domingo after early April this year. So you probably need to concentrate on other cruises on the links mentioned in an earlier reply.

I know nothing about necessary visas for Dominicans, but there were lots of Dominicans on the 7-day cruise I took in late February. They didn't seem to have any problem about going ashore.

There are 2 different cruises out of Santo Domingo at the moment. One apparently requires a visa for Dominicans - stops in Antigua, St. Kitts, Barbados & St. Lucia. The other one apparently does not require visas - stops in St. Maarten, Dominica, Margarita Island & Aruba.

We just returned from the last mentioned cruise. Lots of Dominicans going ashore, and it didn't seem to be any different than anyone else leaving the ship (then again - I didn't take particular note either)

The last round-trip cruise out of Santo Domingo is April 12-19. Starting April 19, the ship will be doing a transatlantic cruise leaving Santo Domingo going to Harwich, England. This is a one-way cruise, as they are re-positioning the ship.

We talked to a cruise consultant on our cruise and asked him if there would be cruises out of Santo Domingo next year - he said that as of right now, the schedule has not been finalized, but they should be publishing the 2010 cruise dates by about April 1, 2009

snowbird44

Oct 29, 2004
Thanks for that bit of information. I hope they will have the schedule out of Santo Domingo again next year. I may be going twice!

tntierney

Aug 8, 2008
How much were alcoholic drinks?

I am taking this cruise in 10 days (I can't wait), but what I am wondering is how much the drinks cost. Also, do they have an alcoholic drink package, and how much would that cost? I can't seem to find the answers on the royal caribbean website.

Thanks!

LuvtheDR

Apr 4, 2004
I am taking this cruise in 10 days (I can't wait), but what I am wondering is how much the drinks cost. Also, do they have an alcoholic drink package, and how much would that cost? I can't seem to find the answers on the royal caribbean website.

Thanks!

The drinks range in price from about $6-$9 each. Beer was a little less....but I'm not a beer drinker, so I don't know the prices of that. Seems high, yes....but not if you think in NA terms! (We told ourselves to not think about how much the drinks cost us here in the DR.....anything to make us feel better!! ;))

As far as we could see, the only alcoholic drink packages that were available was a "wine package" - not sure on the details of that either as I'm also not a wine drinker! :ermm: :nervous:

So, uh, did that help? :cheeky:

Enjoy your trip!

May 31, 2005
I was reading up on the wine package on the website for Royal Caribbean because I am planning on taking a cruise with them also. The wine package includes a bottle of wine at dinner on all nights of your cruise.

Apr 3, 2009
RC Cruise (St. Kitts, Martinique, Barbados, St. Lucia)

In late January, I did the one-week "Vision of Seas" RC cruise from Santo Domingo (San Soucy Port) to St. Kitts, Martinique, Barbados, and St. Lucia. Due to a strike in Guadeloupe, we traveled to St. Kitts instead. I did the trip with my girlfriend. It was fantastic and only $350/person for a ocean view cabin.

Nevertheless, the trip could have been better for some. Those without visas or US/European passports could not disembark in Martinique. This prevented a lot Dominicans and Peruvians (100 person group) from leaving the ship while in Martinique. Also, all those without visas or US/European passports were almost prevented from boarding the ship at all. It wasn't until 2-hours before departure that the crew/port could give clearance to those passengers to board the ship.

All in all still a great trip! I hope that I can do it again soon.

Peace,
BB

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
I am interested in taking a cruise out of DR too, how many companies actually offer this asides form Royal Carribean? and do they have to leave from Santo Domingo or are there other shorter cruises that depart from other ports?
I am having a hard time finding cruises that leave from DR for anything shorter than 7 days....any help? gracias :)

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
not trying to hop on a cruise leaving DR to go to Europe though....
is that the only cruise available or are there other local companies that maybe do a short cruise around the caribbean or around DR? nothing too crazy

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
you know, while we are still on the topic of this thread....
ARE THERE SERIOUSLY ANY LOCAL CRUISES one can get on in DR that just sails around the island and comes back? like a 2 or 3 night out at sea type deal? I would love to know.....somone has to have some sort of boat/cruiser for just fun at sea type deal....

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
ARE THERE SERIOUSLY ANY LOCAL CRUISES one can get on in DR that just sails around the island and comes back? like a 2 or 3 night out at sea type deal? I would love to know.....somone has to have some sort of boat/cruiser for just fun at sea type deal....

Yola to Puerto Rico???

No seriously there was a catamaran that left from Sosua I think owned by a german dive company that went all around the island to Barahona. Not sure if it is still operating

Apr 3, 2009
Sorry Dude

Sorry dude. I have been looking since last Spring and the only cruises that I found were the RC cruises that ended this month.

-BB :(

jalencastro

Bronze
Dec 15, 2004
www.myspace.com
ugh

Sorry dude. I have been looking since last Spring and the only cruises that I found were the RC cruises that ended this month.

-BB :(

that stinks....i wish someone on the island had even if it was a small yacht for some booze cruising a few days out at sea....
very funny on the YOLA comments by other posters, not what i had in mind....LOL :cheeky: