Apartment Broken Into Today...

carina

Silver
Mar 13, 2005
It used to be 586-4204.

I am truly sorry for the robbery. And, as others, glad no one got hurt.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
called the number.....they cannot do it...have to go to SD. Cannot report to consulate that passports were stolen. Need to first go to police and file report and then go to SD...between 7:30 & 9:30....for replacements. Pay $100 USD per replacement.

Get this...the woman at the consulate says...."if you believe someone may try to use them to enter the USA".......DUH!.....report it to DR immigration.

Amazing.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
www.azconatechnologies.com
At the consulate reporting a stolen Passport you will be treated just like a new applicant with one exception, the passport you are issued may be valid only for a limited time, after which point you will have to get it renewed.

The US consulate in PP is pretty much useless, you have to go to SD for everything. I am not sure what they do there, but it can't be much because it is a pretty quiet office.

At the consulate in SD you will have to wait in line on the street for hours together with all the Dominicans trying to get tourist visas and be treated with very little dignity by your own government, just be prepared for that, it happenned to me once.

(original passport turned up again later)

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Oh Mike...I am used to being treated with very little dignity by my own government. They are to busy securing citizenship for illegal aliens.

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Snuffy said:
Oh Mike...I am used to being treated with very little dignity by my own government. They are to busy securing citizenship for illegal aliens.

Only when they are not systematically destroying our civil rights so the terrorists will have nothing to attack us over.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
MommC said:
an identity which can then be used to obtain passports, credit cards, loans etc.

Loved by all crooks since there are no pictures embedded in these documents and 'originals' are priceless.

Be VERY careful of where these documents are kept!
Do the banks in the DR offer Safety Deposit boxes?

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
Snuffy said:
Couple questions.....I'm due to fly to USA on the 17th. Passport stolen. 10 days to get new one. Can I fly out using birth certificate and drivers license?
Yes, as long as the DL is a US license with a picture.

Sorry about your loss.

bobandjudy

Jan 20, 2006
Snuffy, you are in our prayers. We live in Santiago too. Would it be better to fly to the USA on your driver's license and then get your passport in the US? Last time Judy and I got ours renewed (both in the USA), we did not have to wait in line.

rellosk

Silver
Mar 18, 2002
bobandjudy said:
Would it be better to fly to the USA on your driver's license and then get your passport in the US? Last time Judy and I got ours renewed (both in the USA), we did not have to wait in line.
This days you can get a passport renewed or replaced at many Post Offices and Librarys; the latter being on a rotating basis.

May 12, 2005
Just an idea for your important papers. Purchase a fire proof strong box or small safe. Put it on the bottom of one of your closets. Pick up some heavy duty concrete screws and mount it to the floor from the inside. This will keep theives from picking up the box and taking it with them.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
First thanks for the kind thoughts. This was not so bad. They took items worth about 15,000RD on the street. Replacing documents will cost me another 350USD. Repairing door will cost 2000RD. Installing an iron door will cost around 7000RD. We are fine.

Yes...that would work for me but not for my daughter. She will have to have her renewed here.

Let me tell you how this works....I went to Police Station out by old airport. Directed to an office where I waited an hour for the right guy to show up. He comes in and gives me a look like he may have to do some work and how agonizing that would be. He tells me, come back tomorrow and he leaves. Another guy comes over and explains that before I show back up I need to go pay a repuesto for each passport that was stolen. I need to have photos of my wife, daughter, and myself....passport photos. I need to then return to make the report. Supposingly at that point I will go on to the Embassy.

FYI

AZB

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
snuffy, you should have greased the police and the report would have been done on the spot. Sorry for your loss, I have a feeling, my house will be next
:(

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
It still doesn't register with me to just hand someone a few hundred. I need to work on that. Your house is a fortress. The only way thieves could get past that wall would be with a six pack of Brahma and two hot models. A Sherman Tank will not do the job. AZB...I lost my large TV...this is the perfect excuse to buy the projector system.

El Tigre

El Tigre de DR1 - Moderator
Jan 23, 2003
Hooooolllyyyy crapola!!!

Snuffy I just read the entire thread. I missed this thread completely.

Listen man - I'm so sorry to hear this. This is one of the things I always think about. Do I want to put up with this (if I decide to move there some day).

One question for all (maybe a long shot). Do they have renter's insurance in the DR? If so would it have worked for you in this case Snuffy?

Geeeezzz this is horrible!!!

Edited to say - APARTMENT insurance. Not renter's. Renter's is what we call it here in the states.

Last edited:

MrMike

Silver
Mar 2, 2003
Snuffy said:
First thanks for the kind thoughts. This was not so bad. They took items worth about 15,000RD on the street. Replacing documents will cost me another 350USD. Repairing door will cost 2000RD. Installing an iron door will cost around 7000RD. We are fine.

Yes...that would work for me but not for my daughter. She will have to have her renewed here.

Let me tell you how this works....I went to Police Station out by old airport. Directed to an office where I waited an hour for the right guy to show up. He comes in and gives me a look like he may have to do some work and how agonizing that would be. He tells me, come back tomorrow and he leaves. Another guy comes over and explains that before I show back up I need to go pay a repuesto for each passport that was stolen. I need to have photos of my wife, daughter, and myself....passport photos. I need to then return to make the report. Supposingly at that point I will go on to the Embassy.

FYI

Since the police report is useless, frustrating, time consuming and expensive (who ever heard of having to pay money to report a theft) just tell them your passport was LOST at the embassy and you can skip that step.

curlando

Bronze
Jul 23, 2003
My friend passport was stolen last year in Santo Domingo. He had to filed a police report and the US Consulate was able to provide him with a temporary US Passort in 24 hrs. If you choose to go this route I can ask him for more information.

Snuffy

Bronze
May 3, 2002
Once again let me thank all of you for your kind thoughts. So let me try to give you something in return. This is what I am learning more and more here in this country...

Take The Path Of Least Resistance. Don't try to force another standard, way of doing, what to expect... on this place. You will only bring yourself more pain.

When we had problem with hot water heater...I demanded another. My wife said to just buy another one (AZB told me the same thing). I got my way but not without a lot of headaches. It wasn't worth it.

My wife says...let's just find another place to live, don't try to get the police to put pressure on the number one suspect, don't try to get police report on passports...just report them lost. Whatever is the easy route...take it.

I want justice...Dominicans know that justice rarely occurs. I have a difficult time swallowing my pride and looking at the top suspect everyday without wanting to do something. Dominicans can go on like it never happened.

I think I will listen to my wife this time.