Appealing?

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
MLB handed down a 8 game suspension to Sosa for using a Corked bat(a slap on the wrist in my opnion). The Cubs quickly announced that they were going to appeal!

On what grounds? That Sosa was too stupid to know better? That It isn't really cheating because he is Dominican?

How anybody can defend that guy is beyond belief! He is a CHEATER!!!!!!!!!

Mcinbrass

Bronze
Jan 2, 2002
Typically...

...what the appeal process leads to is a reduction in the suspension, especially one of that length MLB will settle for a reduction rather than the involvement of the MLBPA.

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ERICKXSON said:
Tony what is it what do you have against Dominicans perhaps Sosa was Canadian it would of beign fine right? LEAVE EL NEGRITO ALONE No jodas mas.

I could care less if Sosa was Dominican, Canadian or American. The fact is he cheated. He should be punished.

When are you going to stop defending him because he is Dominican? You are just as bad as a Black person who Defends O.J. Just because he is Black!

Musicqueen

Miami Nice!
Jan 31, 2002
El que est? libre de pecado...

...que tire la primera piedra...

Is that how it goes?

TonyC...like you've NEVER cheated in your life!!!

The only reason he appealed was so he could play this weekend against the Yankees.

He knows he's got to serve whatever sentence is impossed on him...he admitted the bat was his...it was a mistake...

But like it was said in one of the many Sports shows that have new material for a couple of weeks, this is the ONE AND ONLY corked bat they found...How many bats did he shatter during his home run streak? MANY...and it's still the only one they found corked...

Come on, he's not a saint...but neither is anyone else!!! Even on this board!!!

Cleef

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
Tony C said:
MLB handed down a 8 game suspension to Sosa for using a Corked bat(a slap on the wrist in my opnion). The Cubs quickly announced that they were going to appeal!

On what grounds? That Sosa was too stupid to know better? That It isn't really cheating because he is Dominican?

How anybody can defend that guy is beyond belief! He is a CHEATER!!!!!!!!!

They didn't give him the lightest sentence, nor the heaviest. The precedent was 7-10 games. How they came up with 8 is anyone's guess. Methinks it's all knee-jerk political/marketing/MLBPA stuff. There is no way in hell they were NOT going to suit the clown up for the Yankees series. That doesn't do anyone any good.

Good, bad or indifferent, exposure is the fuel that drives marketing. A suspended Sosa on the bench isn't good enough for a weekend series with the best team money can buy (remember, just follow the money).

Marketing genius would have made the penalty be that he has to be the batboy for both teams. Ridicule him, make him shine shoes in between innings. He shines one of Joe Torre's shoes, drinks a Pepsi, then shines the other and has a Snickers. All the while flashing that million dollar smile.

Then at the seventh inning stretch he takes the stage with Amelie Vega and they sing "Don't hate me cuz I'm beautiful" or "Take me out of the ballgame". Whatever.

Where's Bill Veeck when we need him?

Sosa is a product of marketing. The bigger they build him up, the easier it is to knock him down. It's the price of fame and fortune. I doubt he'd exchange his life for anyone's.

As much as I loathe agreeing with Pedro Bitchtinez, he had a very valid point on Friday . All the press that was ripping Sosa when he was guilty for corking his bat (speculation that his homer record being flawed) didn't apologize or compensate when all the evidence indicated that he hadn't used any corked bats to achieve his HR record.

I'm not saying he didn't, but you really have to go with the evidence, not speculation.

Point being, when it's speculation in the negative, the press goes mad. When the facts are presented to the contrary, it's a non-story.

Besides Tony, "everybody's doing it" [HP].

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
One of the most pathetic argumenets is "Everybody does it!!!"

I don't care. Sosa Cheated. I don't care if it was Raffi, A-Rod or whoever. Do the crime do the time.

And no I am no saint but I also accept responsibility for my actions.

Hey Musicqueen. I know where O.J. Hangs out so you can get is autograph and have your picture taken with him!

jose?to

The thread finally snapped...
Jun 19, 2002
MLB needs Sosa. And, by the way, he is smarter than Tony and bolo combined, for he has more $$$. Don't hate me for that statement, I'm just using Colon's criterion for measuring someone's intelligence. It's all in the archives.

-Jose?to
The straw that stirs the drink.

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
sosa

I am disappointed in Sammy because I like his personality and what he has brought to MLB.

Appealing the penalty is his right to do under the collective barganing agreement through the players union and I have no problem with that.

Cleef is right that the precedent set had been a 7 to 10 game suspension but that is nothing compared to the price that he is going to have to pay by being forever tainted as a cheater.

Joseito, sometimes you make me laugh. You are a pretty funny guy.

Larry

Golo100

Bronze
Jan 5, 2002
I agree with all sides

Look, Tony C. is 100% right. Sammy chose the standard he wanted to be measured on(credibility, honesty, spiritual and physical strenght, sportsmanship, talent, family values, leadership, hardwork, showmanship, grace, humbleness).

With this incident he failed to justify his actions. He did not measure to his own standards.

However, on the other hand, the circumstancial evidence right now gives him some portion of "benefit of the doubt". Yet, since Sammy Sosa is Sammy Sosa, he cannot evade the responsibility he carries.

It is unjust to place so much burden on an illiterate man, who cannot speak or write any language well, not even his own. But he brought this on himself.

This is why I keep saying that Sammy should have stay a "tiguere" and a chump. This is what he was for 25 years of his life, before he chose "the high road".

If this incident had happened to the likes of Carl Everett, Jose Lima, Jose Canseco,(alltime chumps) or some of the other bad boys of baseball, nobody would have cared. We expect this from most athletes, but not from Sammy boy....Eagle Scout.

As for the appeal, this was just a maneuver to keep him in the game and try to get his swing back. This is a legitimate tool for him to use. He also needs the games to reassert himself and face the worst. It is a good tactic.

For the fans and MLB it is a bonanza. With this, Sammy becomes the biggest ticket seller of all baseball. Everyone wants to see his next homerun. He is the sideshow at the Barnum deformities. There will be cheers and those who just want to scream "where is the cork?" He will revive the comedy shows on TV.

Let us all have fun with this. It is just baseball. I am deeply dissapointed that this happened. I have to admit I was one of his biggest fans, despite his use of metal pointed shoes without socks and greasy afros in his early White Sox years.

TW

m65swede

Mar 18, 2002
Re: I agree with all sides

golo said:

For the fans and MLB it is a bonanza. With this, Sammy becomes the biggest ticket seller of all baseball. Everyone wants to see his next homerun. He is the sideshow at the Barnum deformities. There will be cheers and those who just want to scream "where is the cork?" He will revive the comedy shows on TV.

Let us all have fun with this. It is just baseball. I am deeply dissapointed that this happened. I have to admit I was one of his biggest fans, despite his use of metal pointed shoes without socks and greasy afros in his early White Sox years.

TW

That's the truth. I live within 2 hours of Wrigley Field and have seen that most Sosa fans have remained firmly in Sammy's favor. MLB attendance will benefit from this, no matter where the game is played.

There was a virtual feeding frenzy over tickets for the Cubs-NY Yankees series in Chicago. Scalpers were getting several times face value for all tickets offered. Some tickets for the game that Roger Clemens pitched in search of his 300th win were sold @ $700 and up!

So far, the evidence seems to support Sammy's version of the story. Remember that he is no genius - sometimes dumb people do dumb things. See The Darwin Awards :)

Swede

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
So far, the evidence seems to support Sammy's version of the story--M65Swede

You cant really believe that it was a mistake Swede. In over 8000 at bats you think that was the only time he brought a corked bat to the plate? How could he not examine his bat before going to the plate and at least notice that it felt lighter? To a slugger of Sammys caliber his bat is like an extention of his arm. Even at the press conference as he was lying he looked so ashamed. It was obvious he had been caught. The reason why no other corked bats were found was because someone did a quick job to replace them when the incident happened.I still like Sammy, I am just disappointed.
Larry

Larry

Gold
Mar 22, 2002
Erikxxson

No, its not KILLING me. After reading all the Sammy threads and posts since the incident I only posted twice saying that I like Sammy and am disappointed (see both posts above).Maybe if I wrote in your mumbo jumbo language you would understand me better.
Larry

Tony C

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.sfmreport.com
ERICKXSON said:
larry sammy's mistake is killing you doesnt it? could you let it go please Breathe in Breath out lol!

LOL Now its is a Mistake!!!!

Your settinga great example for your kids. If you even know who they are!

Escott

Gold
Jan 14, 2002
www.escottinsosua.blogspot.com
Re: Erikxxson

Larry (ILoveDR) said:
No, its not KILLING me. After reading all the Sammy threads and posts since the incident I only posted twice saying that I like Sammy and am disappointed (see both posts above).Maybe if I wrote in your mumbo jumbo language you would understand me better.
Larry

LOL